• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Meet Max the '71 Coronet

Next up for the Coronet... new and upgraded suspension and brakes! This is just the front pieces minus the anti-roll bar which will be here later today. The car, as delivered, had no anti-roll bars and is very softly sprung (and quite worn after 53 years). We'll firm it up a bit. Only things I'm missing now are the rear anti-roll bar and front torsion bars.. already in progress along with an upgraded steering box (Borgeson). And yes, rear disc brakes are on the plan too.
20240207_102214.jpg

Nice example that was at least reasonably cared for. These are just the best looking 4 doors ever built. Just scored a 75 Coronet with fellow member Ari C. In junkyard for 30 years..It should run ( I hope). Great color on your car, don't give up on the 318, a good tune and free flowing exhaust makes such a good cruiser with plenty of passing power ( and it is thrifty to keep on the road). I've never noticed much gain with a 4bbl, the 2bbl. does just fine.

Nice example that was at least reasonably cared for. These are just the best looking 4 doors ever built. Just scored a 75 Coronet with fellow member Ari C. In junkyard for 30 years..It should run ( I hope). Great color on your car, don't give up on the 318, a good tune and free flowing exhaust makes such a good cruiser with plenty of passing power ( and it is thrifty to keep on the road). I've never noticed much gain with a 4bbl, the 2bbl. does just fine.
Ya, this car was definitely cared for early on, but then abandoned for a lot of years. While the 318 isn't a bad engine, its output even when modified just isn't where I want it to be.
Cruiser isn't in my genetics... :lol:

Next to last piece of the suspension puzzle on the Coronet is in-house! Torsion bars ala Bergman/SwayAWay are here. Just waiting on my rear anti-roll bar from Firm Feel now. C'mon Matt, I need that rear bar.
I was going to do the rear axle/brakes without the bar, but there may be a conflict with the rear disc brakes, so I need it for mockup. Given I ordered the bars last September, I don't think I'm asking that much.
20240215_173141.jpg

More parts have arrived... and a new exhaust. This is much better than the rotted out single oem exhaust. Picked up a Borgeson steering box from Peter Bergman with his adapter. This should get the steering feel dealt with. Just waiting on the rear anti-roll bar from Firm Feel and I can start taking stuff apart.

20240219_121742.jpg
20240219_121813.jpg
20240219_132726.jpg

Needs more cam.:lol:
Ya, it's a bone stock 318 2v... it ain't gonna have much chop. Not sure I want to dive that far in considering I 1) have a Gen3 Hemi to go in eventually, and 2) given the myriad problems people are having with flat tappet cams these days. If the intake valve on #2 doesn't self-heal and I end up pulling the heads, we'll see.

So Thursday since it was decent weather I did some more tuning on the 318. Much success, it's lost all of its cruise stumbling and the tip-in hesitation is gone.
Of course, the same day I found a deal here on a Mopar crate hemi install kit. Hemi still won't be going in anytime soon, but I have all the engine electronics. Just need the transmission electronics and all the myriad other parts... then some surgery on the tunnel... oh, and probably a stronger rear axle.

Sweet ride, you’re having fun and your skills and attention to detail are amazing. B bodies rock and it doesn’t matter 2 doors, 4 doors or wagon. Thank you for sharing your experience with us.

Todays project was getting the engine ready to come out of the Challenger. It really needs to be indoors for storage (it's been covered, but it's still damp). Did a bunch more chopping of sheetmetal with the plasma torch, cut off the driveshaft (already broken and zero use), chopped the bolts on the downpipe/manifold so the downpipe would come off. The outside bolt was obscured due to bent sheetmetal from the wreck, so I just cut in from the side to get access.

Now I just have to figure a way to get it out of the car. Car is on stands... engine hoist is fairly non-useful on dirt. I have an idea to build a hoist that I can stick in the hitch on my cargo van, just have to fab that up. A friend gave me his old engine hoist to use, so it's basically just building a mount.

20240224_122134.jpg
20240224_134257.jpg
20240224_142841.jpg

Sweet ride, you’re having fun and your skills and attention to detail are amazing. B bodies rock and it doesn’t matter 2 doors, 4 doors or wagon. Thank you for sharing your experience with us.
Thanks! I did restorations for a living for a decade, plus doing it for myself for another 25-30 years and I can be a bit OCD about it. Takes me forever but looks nice when I'm done. Probably doesn't help that 6 years of that decade I worked on vintage race cars (mostly F1/Can Am) and exotics... and there's a certain work standard you just get used to meeting in that world. So now I have a tough time saying "good enough".

Todays project was getting the engine ready to come out of the Challenger. It really needs to be indoors for storage (it's been covered, but it's still damp). Did a bunch more chopping of sheetmetal with the plasma torch, cut off the driveshaft (already broken and zero use), chopped the bolts on the downpipe/manifold so the downpipe would come off. The outside bolt was obscured due to bent sheetmetal from the wreck, so I just cut in from the side to get access.

Now I just have to figure a way to get it out of the car. Car is on stands... engine hoist is fairly non-useful on dirt. I have an idea to build a hoist that I can stick in the hitch on my cargo van, just have to fab that up. A friend gave me his old engine hoist to use, so it's basically just building a mount.

View attachment 1615402View attachment 1615403View attachment 1615404
Anyone around with a tractor, backhoe or excavator?

Anyone around with a tractor, backhoe or excavator?
I have a couple friends with tractors, one with a fork lift attachment even. Problem is, he's too far away to drive it here, and none of us have a trailer. Another issue I may have to solve soon. We have another friend who does have a trailer, but he's about 45 minutes away, and in somewhat poor health at the moment.

I'm thinking the van mounted hoist is the way to go, I just have to get it made.

Ok, engine/trans are out of the Challenger!

We're finally having some decent weather so I put my lift contraption together and got it done. Also drove the Coronet to breakfast this morning. Next up, putting the Hotchkis rear springs on, and setting the front height appropriately.

Man... that Challenger is BENT. I have to finish pulling the wiring harness, but it's ready to go to the crusher and get out of my way after that.

20240316_115421.jpg

20240316_122411.jpg

20240316_123356.jpg

20240316_123541.jpg
20240316_130148.jpg
20240316_123558.jpg

Definitely tweaked! I was somewhat in your hood this last week. Visited some cousins[ wife's side] in Mill Creek then swam over to Sequim to see her uncle for 3 days. Took the Bainbridge Ferry back across, then on to Seatac for the ride home. Nice weather Thursday to Saturday.

IMG_4650.jpeg

IMG_4655.jpeg

Ya, you weren't far away, the Bainbridge Ferry is about 45-50 minutes away. Still nice out, but it's going away tomorrow and back to our usual gray and rain.

New Hotchkis rear springs are done. Lowered the rear of the car a bit over an inch which is about what they claim, and leveled it out side to side compared to the tired stock springs. Now I need to drop the front a little. Pics are before and after.
20231125_155359.jpg
20240320_175743.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back