• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Meet Max the '71 Coronet

Rennkafer

Local time
2:53 AM
Reaction score
So I've been mostly lurking around the past couple months since I bought a '71 Coronet. Why a "crew cab" Charger you ask? Well, my first car was a '72 Coronet ex-patrol car. No idea why my dad thought that was a good idea for a 16yr old, but it was what inspired my lifelong love affair with cars. Currently it's about as stock as you can get, 318/904/8 1/4" open diff, definitely the slow cruiser. Current plans are to clean it up, fix a little rust around the rear window, get the suspension/brakes dialed in, then GenIII swap it. To that end I bought this today to swap into my Coronet... 2016 Challenger R/T Plus w/23k miles prior to being wrecked. One of the worst wrecks I've seen where I know no one died, person I'm getting it from knows the driver and passenger who both survived (though passenger was in pretty bad shape) 5.7 Hemi with 8HP70. I know the 8 speed is a tough swap, from reading here and elsewhere. I have the fabrication skills to do it, we'll see whether I decide it's worth the effort or I just build up the 904 (or a 727) and run that.

About me, I'm a machinist/mechanic who apprenticed at a naval shipyard as a "maintenance machinist" (we fixed everything without wheels and machined parts as needed), who then went on to work in auto restoration/vintage racing for a decade, then came back to the same shipyard as a "outside machinist" (we repair shipboard systems, rather than plant equipment). I have a machine/fab shop at home, so I'm equipped to make most anything I need.

As for why it's named Max... well the other project I have in progress is a 1971 Mini. So we have Mini and Max, two opposites in nearly every way.

Some photos are in order...

Me at 16(ish) with the original Coronet
20359_1277260665627_773381_n.jpg

me towing the car from the wrecking yard I rescued it from
20230722_115250.jpg

the car after its first wash
20230723_183137.jpg

engine bay as bought and current
20230724_122844.jpg

20230919_185548.jpg

the Challenger donor
382115436_6884289944960424_7653265469640956147_n.jpg
295305955_10218492520857940_4851084584187742175_n.jpg

Welcome to the forum.
BTW how is your rear bumper
I have NOS rear bumpers for 71
Coronet

Welcome from Connecticut. I miss my 72 Coronet, wish I still had it. It was a great cruiser.

Welcome aboard. Nice story and background info. I am sure you will succeed with your skills. Best of luck with your toys. Man, that Challenger was one hell of a wreck! It's amazing anyone survived at all!

Man, that Challenger was one hell of a wreck! It's amazing anyone survived at all!
In over 40 years of working on cars and climbing around in wrecking yards, it's one of the worse I've ever seen anyone survive. I was sort of amazed by the minimal damage to the engine as well. Not a mark on the front pulley, one little chunk out of the corner of the passenger valve cover, belt tensioner broke, and intake boot torn is all I can see. PCM/wiring all look good.

Mildly scruffy but straight/usable... PM me what you're looking to get for one.

View attachment 1533455
I have 8 NOS 71 coronet rear bumpers. 4 with bumper guard holes. 4 without bumper guard holes. I’m in NorCal

We almost moved to Sequim before we got back here. Wife has an uncle in Carlsborg. Cuz's in Mill Valley.

Been busily working on the car when we've had decent weather the last week. Got the brake master cylinder and the lines from the junctions back in place and today was clean and POR-15 where the fuel tank lives. The area is in pretty decent shape but it isn't body color so apparently Dodge didn't paint any more than primer? Or maybe the underbody wasn't painted the same color? The rest is heavily undercoated so I can't really tell.

Also been busy tearing apart the Challenger, nothing (and I do mean absolutely nothing) on the body is worth saving, so it's just a death wheel/sawzall job for the most part. I'm mostly getting interior out first so I can get to the floor pan. Pretty certain I'll need to cut some of it loose for engine/trans removal, and I'm going to try and salvage the trans tunnel (though it is bent), might possibly be useful for fabricating the tunnel in the Coronet. I got the remains of the center portion of the roof cut off and the passenger outside from the dash to the C pillar off, and the remaining (drivers) door off. Once that was done I have most of the rear seat out (surprisingly minimal damage), the last piece of that needs the drivers outside roof section moved so it isn't trapped. Porta-power time!

20231006_144952.jpg
20231006_174231.jpg
20231006_165736.jpg
20231006_170014.jpg
20231006_180053.jpg

Keep all of the spaghetti plus the connectors. Fasteners, clips, lines, body plugs, wiring boots etc.

Keep all of the spaghetti plus the connectors. Fasteners, clips, lines, body plugs, wiring boots etc.
Oh the wiring is being marked and treated very gently as I remove it. That's one of the biggest reasons to buy a complete car, those harnesses are NOT cheap. I'm also keeping all the nuts/bolts/clips/boots/etc from everything removed. Even if I don't use them on the Coronet, other projects might use them.
Of course, this is why I have bins of this sort of stuff after 40+ years of doing car stuff... :lol:

Ok progress over the last week or so has been spotty, as it's shifted to the usual October-June rainy season here in the Pacific NorthWet, but I have gotten a few things accomplished. New fuel tank was prepped, evap tank in the rear fenderwell was removed, cleaned up, painted and all new hoses, fuel tank and evap tank installed. Rear brakes readjusted (I like them up tight when bleeding a new system), stock wheels are back on for now, and car is back on the ground. Got the electrical pieces back in the engine bay and hooked up that I'd taken out to paint, got the oil changed, and refitted the air cleaner. All that's left before the first real run of the engine (I fired it back when I first got it very briefly) is some vacuum lines I'm going to replace, and replacing the fusible link with an inline fuse since it's in rough shape.

pics as always...

Engine bay as bought and current
20230724_122844.jpg
20231017_180339.jpg

New fuel tank and evap tank with new lines in place...
20231014_160702.jpg
20231013_180341.jpg

Car back on the ground on the oem wheels for now. Have to go through the front end and have an alignment done before I put on the nicer wheels with new tires.
20231015_181119.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back