• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Minnesota Gold

Cut and buff is going really well. It’s interesting stuff, wet sanding. I’ve gotten a ton of tips and tricks from here, and YouTube. So much good information out there

Got the 2000 cut finished today. 3000 DA tomorrow, then on to the polisher

A08563A3-9E71-4E9A-9C4E-82D6BD2B88D5.jpeg 4A7A2288-A88B-4756-90D8-5F5D82556918.jpeg

Starting to glow my friend! They really come alive at this point but its a long road getting there. Great job!!!
I agree on the top comment. I own 5 rags. Makes the paint process a bit less stressful to.

I’ve really taken it slow, but the paint stressed me out the most . Got the gas tank in just a bit ago

It's looking really nice! Did you paint it in your garage? What did you go with for a paint booth setup?

It's looking really nice! Did you paint it in your garage? What did you go with for a paint booth setup?
I did paint it at home, after a ton of reading and videos, I went with closing the garage doors to the tops of two fans and making sure everything was covered. One dusting coat, and three wet coats. I noticed some mottling in a few areas and a bit of orange peel....so 24 hrs after the paint, per the instructions, one more coat....adit it evened out.

What I really like about cutting and buffing is the controlled finishing. Wet sanding with 1500/2000 to get to a DA 3000 then on to polishing compound as well as sealer seems to be the path.

Great job on a great car, I think everybody here is proud of you. I’ve got a lot of patience, but I don’t think I could ever paint a car.

Great job on a great car, I think everybody here is proud of you. I’ve got a lot of patience, but I don’t think I could ever paint a car.
.....my berries got pulled up a few times doing it this way, but a lot of the members on here are serious home enthusiasts, and I wanted to make it work. It all comes down to prep and cleanliness. I learned so much going to distance on this one.....and why a good paint job costs as much as it does. I've spent countless hours getting the car ready for paint and many more just cutting and buffing. I'm very glad I have the resource of the fine folks on here to bounce stuff off of as the MN Gold gets set to return the road not seen since '79.

a lot of work but well worth ,nice job :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Auto Transport Service
Back