• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Modern Bullitt build

I picked up all the new tinted glass for the charger at Carlisle 2 weeks ago. So I put the vent windows together using Metros vent window gaskets. The gaskets fit great and required no modifications. I tested all of the new window glass against my original glass and for the most part the cut and shape seems to be very close, however the etched labeling for the vent windows was not only on the wrong side but it was also much larger than my originals. Ordered the tinted glass as that’s what the original Bullitt charger had.

I had all of my original vent parts re-chrome by Paul’s two years ago, and I polished stainless steel. I used a commercial grade black double stick tape to reattach the lower chrome trim to the vent glass. (This worked very well on my 1st Charger 10 years ago) There are 6 raised rivets that are part of the chrome vent Frame used to hold the steel track in place. And on the two chargers I have restored the factory only uses 3 of these which makes it very easy to reattach the chrome to the steel frame in the same manner that the factory did buy peening over the rivets to hold the frame. Be careful peening over the small rivets as the metal is soft and you can dent the other side easily which I found out on my 1st Charger 10 years ago. Then reinstalling the vent glass along with the stop pin and locking handle is relatively easy after cleaning out any excess chrome plating left behind in the small holes.

Thanks!

F1778707-_F7_D7-4445-95_C5-_ABB81_C9_CBBDF.jpg

FBDB0_BA8-8207-4_E4_D-940_F-56_CEF0_E8_D108.jpg

3883_DD83-7_B6_D-4_BC2-_B6_EB-_D8_BAE788477_B.jpg

3_C8_C7_C36-50_FC-4_A3_A-_A9_B1-0_E901_E7_A37_D4.jpg

F8_B6_CCE9-_AC06-4_A07-_BBE7-888_F7_EB5_CE1_A.jpg

43_F1602_B-_A099-40_FC-_ADB3-68289_E1_A04_D6.jpg

0_CD2_F3_E1-_F301-4774-_B67_B-726_DFA296_A9_A.jpg

FF5_D0_D66-04_C2-4_FB5-_B95_B-44_F1_D4_D24_AB7.jpg

2145061_D-8509-41_F4-_B0_F9-190934_CFB7_E5.jpg

I picked up all the new tinted glass for the charger at Carlisle 2 weeks ago. So I put the vent windows together using Metros vent window gaskets. The gaskets fit great and required no modifications. I tested all of the new window glass against my original glass and for the most part the cut and shape seems to be very close, however the etched labeling for the vent windows was not only on the wrong side but it was also much larger than my originals. Ordered the tinted glass as that’s what the original Bullitt charger had.

I had all of my original vent parts re-chrome by Paul’s two years ago, and I polished stainless steel. I used a commercial grade black double stick tape to reattach the lower chrome trim to the vent glass. (This worked very well on my 1st Charger 10 years ago) There are 6 raised rivets that are part of the chrome vent Frame used to hold the steel track in place. And on the two chargers I have restored the factory only uses 3 of these which makes it very easy to reattach the chrome to the steel frame in the same manner that the factory did buy peening over the rivets to hold the frame. Be careful peening over the small rivets as the metal is soft and you can dent the other side easily which I found out on my 1st Charger 10 years ago. Then reinstalling the vent glass along with the stop pin and locking handle is relatively easy after cleaning out any excess chrome plating left behind in the small holes.

Thanks!

View attachment 631492

View attachment 631493

View attachment 631494

View attachment 631495

View attachment 631496

View attachment 631497

View attachment 631498

View attachment 631499

View attachment 631500
I see that the etchings are a bit larger than the original. Are those AMD's? I am surprised you didn't go with ECS.....Furthermore, the etchings can be inside, outside, flipped etc....I never realized that until I ordered my glass form ECS. The GTX had all its original glass but was in poor condition but when I inspected the etchings there were two styles and most were etched inside and two were etched outside.....

That aside thanks for the info and pictures of the vent window installation. Did you use glass setting tape?

My brother is a Glaser and he hooked me up with the tape to set the glass not sure what it is called or the manufacture, and Yes AMD glass. I was not concerned with the correct date code, just would’ve been nice if it was similar;-) I did use ECS on my 72 Trans Am which was an factory original restoration. It would have to be a very special car for me to go through that again ;-) my hats off to you with all of your research and work restoring your dads car!
Thanks

My brother is a Glaser and he hooked me up with the tape to set the glass not sure what it is called or the manufacture, and Yes AMD glass. I was not concerned with the correct date code, just would’ve been nice if it was similar;-) I did use ECS on my 72 Trans Am which was an factory original restoration. It would have to be a very special car for me to go through that again ;-) my hats off to you with all of your research and work restoring your dads car!
Thanks
Pat

I was just curious as I never noticed a size difference....In all respects it doesn't matter......I have seen a few pics of your trans am and that is one beautifully restored car....However, that doesn't surprise me because that is anything you put your hands on......

Thanks for the compliments........I am a novice in comparison to your skills.......So looking forward to see the Bullit charger completed....

Maybe Carlisle next year?

Justin

Justin,
I have been saying next year for Carlisle for the past two years :-( but with a little luck 2019 just might be the year???
Thank you
Pat

Justin,
I have been saying next year for Carlisle for the past two years :-( but with a little luck 2019 just might be the year???
Thank you
Pat
I do understand that one.....A build like that is very hard to gauge for completion.....19 would be great....

5375913D-E46B-4FC3-A7D6-EE01F8959C7B.jpeg
6677EE96-1FC5-4433-89B9-D60561593AD9.jpeg
Looks good, but the front end needs to be lowered.

Can’t change how he built the car! He built a gasser by putting a Ford straight axles on the Chevy, and custom made fender well headers for the Olds 394 engine. Pictures are from 1963/4

That's cool Pat - nice you are helping out an old Widow relive her past!

Just starting the restoration and polishing of all of the exterior stainless steel. Fun!
Thanks
Pat

0-DAEB2-EA-9-F78-414-D-A5-D8-88651-F6073-D5.jpg

46721-BA7-B3-E0-4595-91-BB-D21024748-CC0.jpg

Just starting the restoration and polishing of all of the exterior stainless steel. Fun!
Thanks
Pat

View attachment 683050

View attachment 683051
I appreciate your enthusiasm on a big task......

I spy a small bottle of gasket shellac...The old Indian head...I thought I was the only one left that uses that wonderful sealer...

Looks amazing Pat!

I appreciate your enthusiasm on a big task......

I spy a small bottle of gasket shellac...The old Indian head...I thought I was the only one left that uses that wonderful sealer...

Looks amazing Pat!

We might be the only old dogs still using that stuff;-) For the record the picture of the trim is a before picture, after pictures to follow.
Thanks

We might be the only old dogs still using that stuff;-) For the record the picture of the trim is a before picture, after pictures to follow.
Thanks
Before pic?.....Some very nice trim to start with!

Auto Transport Service
Back