• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Modern Bullitt build

I picked up an aluminum air cleaner from Chris with ClassicHaulage at Carlisle PA yesterday. Chris is a nice guy and he makes a great aluminumHemi type air cleaner. A chrome plated repro of the original steel air cleaneris now available but as my motor is all aluminum I keep the aluminum theme. Ineed to make a custom filter base and get a 426 Hemi Head air cleaner stickerto finish the look.
Thanks
Pat

IMG_7314_zps3xdvnptb.jpg

IMG_7326_zps8q64ifvc.jpg

IMG_7318_zpsphzkllh4.jpg

I removed the fenders and doors for the 1[SUP]st[/SUP] timesince the factory installed them in 1968. One of the things that attracted meto this car is it has all of its original body panels and has never been in anaccident! The doors, fenders, trunk, hood, and a few other parts will go to thesoda blaster Monday and the hinges will get shipped to SMS to be rebuilt. Interestingto find that the left and right fender had the same size shims with exception of1 additional 1/16 shim on the bottom right rocker.
Thanks
Pat

IMG_7338_zpskigprukl.jpg

IMG_7342_zpsw1fx9mjt.jpg

IMG_7344_zpsryhyf2mn.jpg

IMG_7346_zpsyvph8g6n.jpg

I received the Vintage Air system and fit the air handler onthe firewall so I can mark the existing hole that I don’t need. The systemcomes with large plate to cover up the hole on the engine side but I plan onwelding the holes and not using the plate.
Thanks
Pat

IMG_7350_zpsmnd586n3.jpg

IMG_7352_zpshoh6clat.jpg

Great pic... I was wondering about that plate.. I would rather not use it...

I can't believe you stuffed the whole heartbeat into that chariot w/o needing a hood cut out. I was waiting to see what kind of scoop or how you were going to do that. I guess you planned it all right......!

I can't believe you stuffed the whole heartbeat into that chariot w/o needing a hood cut out. I was waiting to see what kind of scoop or how you were going to do that. I guess you planned it all right......!
I knew it was going to be tight but it fit! I still need to make the base plate.
Thanks
Pat

- - - Updated - - -

Great pic... I was wondering about that plate.. I would rather not use it...

Yes it will be much cleaner without the plate!
Thanks
Pat

The plan is to make some custom AC lines and run them in theright side fender well. But before I can start on the line I need to fit the USCar Tool inter fender brace. The fit was close but needed a little modificationto fit great.

IMG_7361_zps1ld46gvv.jpg

IMG_7367_zpszwfyfub1.jpg

The problem with the fit was the factory welded the shocktower brace 3/8” forward from where it should be. To get the new brace to fit Icut about 3/8” off the front edge of the factory brace so the it would let thenew brace slide back to meet the firewall and cowl.

IMG_7378_zps5c2drdwn.jpg

IMG_7387_zpsxl78zyli.jpg

IMG_7385_zpsdc9nvrj6.jpg

Just a few screw to hold it in place and will weld it onwith jack stand under the frame rails at the wheels. You can see how far offthe factory mount is off in the last picture, I will re-cut the arch to matchbefore welding.
Thanks
Pat

Pat,

I welded on the same braces on my car as well. I had the same issue where my one factory mount was way off of the other. The one side fit like a glove, while the other was less than ideal.

By the way, although this a long way off, be aware that the factory inner fender splash shield will now not fit, as the US Car Tool brace interferes with it a little bit. So you will need to modify the splash shield a little bit. It's not much, but just plan on it...

Top notch work as always!

Hawk

Hawk,
Thanks for the heads up on the fender splash panel, it should be easy to modify with the fender off.
Thank you!
Pat

What a great build!! awesome skills you have.
I hate to think how many hours and $$$$ are into this project.
But the smile on your face when driving the Charger will be priceless.

I picked up the doors, fenders, hood, and trunk from themedia blaster and Epoxy sealed them with DuPont DTM primer/sealer. Nosurprises, panels look great only one spot of rust on the bottom of the rightdoor.
Thanks
Pat

IMG_7405_zpsyq1qhejs.jpg

IMG_7407_zps0musmqn0.jpg

IMG_7411_zpsnzwrtqho.jpg

I started bending the stainless steel air conditioning linesthat will be hidden under the right side fender, I will also make S/S heaterlines to run under the fender.
Thanks
Pat

IMG_7420_zpsw2nsx722.jpg

IMG_7426_zpsxmjrywqb.jpg

IMG_7418_zps62dw2kl7.jpg

IMG_7417_zpsnchkhcks.jpg

The small AC line only took about 45 minutes as I had the 1[SUP]st[/SUP]line to use for a template. Need to get a few fitting for the hot water linesthis week.
Thanks
Pat

IMG_7429_zps1ctldvyz.jpg

IMG_7430_zps699o1tg8.jpg

I need two more fitting and I can finish the water lines.Now if I find a 3” mandrel pipe bender to borrow I could do the exhaust ;-)
Thanks
Pat

IMG_7431_zpseaztgrml.jpg

IMG_7437_zpsnz9mm5cl.jpg

Very nice as usual, great work on the hidden plumbing.

Nice work, its given me some new ideas on how I might do my heater and air con piping.

Where are you getting the fittings and retaining blocks.. I am in lust with your plumbing set-up..

Where are you getting the fittings and retaining blocks.. I am in lust with your plumbing set-up..

Most of the fitting are from Parker, the ½ S/S tubingis .035 wall and the mount are made by Stauff. You can get it all from any hydraulicshop. I have used the same S/S tubing and fitting for over 20 on the boats we commission
Thanks
Pat

Auto Transport Service
Back