• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

modern max wedge powerhouse

stage3

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
2:04 AM
Reaction score
pretty impressive numbers for an intake considered to be a bottleneck. the term "max wedge" takes on a whole new meaning..

511-Inch Mopar Wedge Hits the Dyno and Makes Over 700 hp and Even More Torque! (motortrend.com)

008-511-mopar-wedge-dual-carb-westech-trick-flow-solid-roller-race-dyno.jpg
001-511-mopar-wedge-dual-carb-westech-trick-flow-solid-roller-race-dyno.jpg

My little 496 w a relatively mild, no lope, hydraulic roller cam, 10.2:1 w aluminum heads, Edelbrock Performer RPM dual plane intake made 610/670 hp/tq at the crank. HP came in at 5,200rpm. So a "built" 511", should be pretty easy to get 700.

They didn't say if it was a stock or aftermarket block.

Sounds like strong 440 4bbl numbers.

No I mean worthless to me! I'm not a race gas kinda guy..

Nice build as I will be building one similar eventually for my 63 Plymouth project car.

Nice build as I will be building one similar eventually for my 63 Plymouth project car.
same here,,mines identical to that 1 except for the compression, stock block build above. mines 10.7 - 1 comp. almost identical cam and A&A intake. but using 650 avs 2's..

plenty of pump gas motors making almost the same power. and i bet that 1 would be real close at 11-1...But the real story here is the stock TF 270's with the stock style Crossram making 728 HP ! before this dyno run last year if u got 650 HP out of your crossram u were doing good..

same here,,mines identical to that 1 except for the compression, stock block build above. mines 10.7 - 1 comp. almost identical cam and A&A intake. but using 650 avs 2's..

plenty of pump gas motors making almost the same power. and i bet that 1 would be real close at 11-1...But the real story here is the stock TF 270's with the stock style Crossram making 728 HP ! before this dyno run last year if u got 650 HP out of your crossram u were doing good..
Mine will be going in this. Have to start with A&A intake for the 440/511 combo someday soon.

20211002_103536_HDR.jpg

No I mean worthless to me! I'm not a race gas kinda guy..

Try building that motor at 9.5 or 10.0 to one compression... I think you'll still be pleasantly surprised.
/my 2 cents

Try building that motor at 9.5 or 10.0 to one compression... I think you'll still be pleasantly surprised.
/my 2 cents
That it makes less power? Wouldn't be surprised at all.
Rule #1. If it makes good power at 10 to one, it'll make gooder power at 13 to one. And gooder gooder at 15 to one.
Yeah, no one likes to pay for good gas, I get it.

Yeah, no one likes to pay for good gas, I get it.

Certainly not what I'm saying at all. I'm saying you need a racing license to go under a 10 second quarter..... and you sure as heck don't need 15 to one comp to get there, lol. If he's a street driver, then he does'nt need that hassle either.

"And, since it's going to be raced hard," is what they said in the article.
It's written about a race engine. I like race engines :)
The point I'd make is, you don't need a stroker crank and dual 4s to achieve what they did.

Mines a little over 15.2-1. It runs Renegade 114+. About $600 drum, $11/gallon It'll make about 7 runs on 5 gallons. So $8 run. so pump premium around here is about $4. so the cost difference is about $5 a run. So it all depends on how much power you want to make. Trying to put a 3350lb car in the 8s. Compression is the cheapest addition to add power I could make. To be honest the tow vehicle fuel for the weekend is more expensive.
Doug

according to wallace racing calculators.

HP From CR Change Calculator
HP You Have Now:
Old Compression Ratio :1
New Compression Ratio :1
Your old Compression Ratio of 13:1 and HP of 728 is now calculated
as a Compression Ratio of 10.5:1 and 716.80 Horsepower.

again, look at the intake used. A&A intakes combined with TF 270 heads or something similar appartantly works really well together. my shortblocks done, A&A intake on the bench, TF 270's arriving in 2 weeks !
IMG_0416.JPG

Certainly @IQ52 can chime in to correct me, but Jim has made HUGE power with low compression engines, and I doubt increasing the CR is where Mr. Laroy would go to get more power...
I would speculate that FLOW is one of the areas he has had great success with.
I'm ALWAYS very happy when I see a 50+ year old Chrysler engineered product put out JAW DROPPING power, and if I remember correctly, the 413 and/or 426 MAX WEDGE engines were a couple that had a rather HIGH CR offered by Ma Mopar from the factory. I guess there may have been a few out there who took those stock Max Wedge high compression engines and did just the right head work who had some very exciting results on the track back in the day.

Though they look great, the cork is the intake. Years ago I dynoed a similar combo 4.375x4.150. similar cam 12.8-1, unported out of the box -1 Indys. The Indy 440-25 cross ram was worth 60HP over the factory cross ram. Factory cross ram peaked at 5750. Indy peaked at 6750. Power was up from the start of the pull (4000rpm) all the way to peak.
Doug

Though they look great, the cork is the intake.
looks like with 350 cfm heads and a redesigned modern crossram from A&A and modern profile roller cam they upped the numbers a little bit..Big numbers for a stock "style" crossram.

Steven Rupp Author
feb 16, 2021.

After break-in, the dyno tuning began, and Brul found the sweet spot to be 36 degrees of timing. The best pull was 728 hp at 5,900 rpm and a whopping 738 lb-ft at 4,500! What's more impressive than the peak numbers are the crazy flat-as-a-proverbial-pancake torque numbers. The 511 rolls into the dyno making 719 lb-ft at 3,900 rpm and doesn't drop below 700 until 5,400 rpm! Even at the end of the pull it was still making well over 600 lb-ft of twist.

The Indy 440-25 cross ram
Is another intake like the Weiand P3690982 6bbl Cross-Flow intake that I am tempted to obsess over...
After a year of internal and forum debate and research, and more dreams about it than I'd like to admit, I finally got a really nice Weiand, but I'll never use it since I'm going Max Wedge port size TF 270s...
I wonder how a 6bbl top would work on the Indy 440-25...:screwy::screwy::screwy:

Auto Transport Service
Back