• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mondays dumb question

Roger63

Local time
12:34 PM
Reaction score
Assembling the lower end on my 440 and when I get to the rod bearings I discover 1 bearing has an oil hole. Where does it go? Rod side or cap side? I researched all afternoon. The only thing I could find is oil hole must point towards cam. WTF does that mean? It's 440 with LY rods, be gentle folks I feel like a dumbass.

Post a picture of the bearing? Seems odd that only one is like that. What brand bearings and part number.

CB-527HND Chrysler H series rod bearing STD
From 440 source, only 1/2 has an oil hole
Clevite 77

Look on the back of the bearing shell at the part number. If you see a "U" or "L" suffix, that represents upper & lower. If the rod has a groove in it and the cap does not, well then it goes in the rod. If both rod and cap have a groove in it, then it really doesn't matter, with the exception of the U/L explanation above. If I am not mistaken, the groove is usually in the cap though on OE rods.

As Pnora said, post a picture... Do they have anti-rotation lock tabs? I could be bearings designed to be pinned to prevent rotation..

When there was a hole to lube the cam it consisted of a semi circle on the edge of the bearing opposite the anti rotation notches

CB-527HND Google it looks like the hole is to the cap. Also looks like they are clearly marked upper and lower.

cle-cb527hnd1_xl.jpg

As Pnora said, post a picture... Do they have anti-rotation lock tabs? I could be bearings designed to be pinned to prevent rotation..

When there was a hole to lube the cam it consisted of a semi circle on the edge of the bearing opposite the anti rotation notches
The tangs (tabs) you are referring to are for bearing shell location only. They do not prevent the bearing from spinning in the bore. Bearing "Crush" holds the bearing and prevents it from spinning.

Yes, that bearing with the "D" suffix is used when aftermarket rods have a dowel to hold the bearing in place and prevent it from spinning for racing applications, usually in aluminum rods I believe. It is not a hole for oiling. It has no use in your OE rod, and will not bother anything.

The tangs (tabs) you are referring to are for bearing shell location only. They do not prevent the bearing from spinning in the bore. Bearing "Crush" holds the bearing and prevents it from spinning.
While that's probably true when I took engine machining classes back in the 70's my instructor called then anti-rotation lock tabs so in my brain that's what they are and shall remain.

Look on the back of the bearing shell at the part number. If you see a "U" or "L" suffix, that represents upper & lower. If the rod has a groove in it and the cap does not, well then it goes in the rod. If both rod and cap have a groove in it, then it really doesn't matter, with the exception of the U/L explanation above. If I am not mistaken, the groove is usually in the cap though on OE rods.
No groove at all just the cutouts for locking tangs

No groove at all just the cutouts for locking tangs
Yea, when you showed the pic, I knew which set you were talking about, and edited my post to refer to the dowel pin hole.

While that's probably true when I took engine machining classes back in the 70's my instructor called then anti-rotation lock tabs so in my brain that's what they are and shall remain.
That is fine, that is the way I started out too, but riddle me this...

The OEM uses bearings now that are tang-less and the aftermarket does too, so following your explanation, what prevents them from spinning? The answer is "Bearing Crush".

That is a dowel pin hole for use with aluminum doweled rods. It goes in the cap. It'll be fine in a steel non doweled rod.
Doug

Auto Transport Service
Back