• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

RB engine priming question (Yup, I searched)

When I prime, I look for full oil flow out of each side of the rocker arms. Just my way.

I do the lazy-mans way and just check that the bearing is installed properly and the feeds aren't obstructed.

When I prime, I look for full oil flow out of each side of the rocker arms. Just my way.
Yup ! That’s what I am looking for !
I do the lazy-mans way and just check that the bearing is installed properly and the feeds aren't obstructed.
I didn’t remove the cam shaft or bearings. Since they worked fine prior to, my assumption is that their positions have not changed. The only thing that I replaced was the timing chain and sprockets.

If you have good oil flow to the valvetrain while doing a good priming job, you are likely to have a fine deal. Wild , radical cam/valve trains need a bit more attention.

So, the consensus is try for somewhere around 270 degrees or just keep moving it a little at a time until oil comes up on that side ?

I won’t be getting back to the car for about 1.5 weeks. My wife will be away and I will be taking care of my oldest dog. He needs a lot of care right now due to an injury after Christmas. He needs help getting up to go outside to do his business. Pretty much around the clock care. So, while the wife is away….I am his private nurse. I am happy to help him !

Yup ! That’s what I am looking for !

I didn’t remove the cam shaft or bearings. Since they worked fine prior to, my assumption is that their positions have not changed. The only thing that I replaced was the timing chain and sprockets.
If that is the case, looking at the 1-3-5-7 side would show you if it was getting oil or not. A dry side would show heat marks...blue and black metal at a minimum.
I do pre-oil old engines that have been sitting and with fresh rebuilds but not at any other time. It can't hurt to do what you did but I doubt that it makes much of a difference.

Just turn the motor over with the breaker bar and watch for good oil on each rocker shaft. The degree's don't matter. Just make sure you get good oil to rockers on both sides.

Auto Transport Service
Back