• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

mopar 516 heads

moparjohnny

Local time
9:55 PM
Reaction score
would these work with 383 hi po eng,flat top pistons,solid cam,headers,750 carb,3.55 gears? thanks

John,
In my experience with those 516s, visually I've seen no difference between the ports of the later cylinder heads. I've read they don't flow as well but I haven't seen flow bench data to back it up. The exhaust valve is small. A 1.74 can be accommodated. The chambers are nice and small so a 383 will have an easier time making compression with them with a lack of good off the shelf pistons.

John,
In my experience with those 516s, visually I've seen no difference between the ports of the later cylinder heads. I've read they don't flow as well but I haven't seen flow bench data to back it up. The exhaust valve is small. A 1.74 can be accommodated. The chambers are nice and small so a 383 will have an easier time making compression with them with a lack of good off the shelf pistons.
I used 516 heads to replace open chambered 440 heads, flat tops down in the hole a little, and I used steel shim head gaskets--all to increase the comp. ratio. Up to 9.5 to one. I put in oversize exhaust valves with hardened seats. No port work, and I am very satisfied with that combo.
If your piston is not below deck height, you can probably go with a composit head gasket......................MO

Auto Transport Service
Back