• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mopar Performance Single Plane intake question

brian.linn

Local time
2:07 AM
Reaction score
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/dcc-4532174

Can someone tell me anything about the Mopar Performance Intake 4532174?

I am building a street 440 and have this intake on my shelf. Gonna run some 906 heads, 6 pack pistons, thinking about the Hughes Whiplash cam, 727, 3.55 gears.

I’m open to a different intake, but since I’ve got this one I know nothing about it, maybe someone can help me.

Any advice and thoughts on it would be great. Thanks!!

should be lots of threads on that intake
but
can't tell what your compression is but that S&M cam is only for low compression stock type builds
which does not match up with that manifold
IDK if that manifold works well with stock heads
are they perhaps ported to the max
there is another thread right now about open chamber heads and pinging and how he could only run 31 degrees advance and it still pinged
we do not have 906 quality gas anymore
and we had trouble with them even when I was a chrysler service manager early seventies

Hi Brian
shut in here so you get some ramblings
Been working with that style head since late 1067
We started welding the chambers up to match the 516 and 915
Then went to custom pistons that match Today's KB quench domes
we went up to United Engine and talked with their Chief Designer John Erb and the put the basic design into production
so if you do not have the TRWs or Sealed Power 6 pack pitons and you must- for now - use the 906 heads then get the KB pistons
Those TRW Pistons are heavy and use old style rings etc etc
The only way to make them work- if ou already have them is to send them to Kansas and have the guys there D dish the for you and find a set of 91 heads to use and tghten the quench
dish size will depend on what compression you want- I usually rn 0- 9.5
advantage of doing this is that you can switch over to aluminum heads later and keep the same short block
Either way with either of those combos and our cam we could reduce EGT by 800 degrees in City of San Jose Busses- could actually make them live. And motorhomes would last longer than half way to Vegas/ Lots of dyno time on all three of these approaches
so let's see what you have to work with
IDK that either that cam or manifold work
the pistons do not work without work if you already have them
if you do have a late low compression BBM and trying to make something as inexpensive as possible there are other similar cam approaches that are less expensive
post alll the details, exhaust,etc and I'll try and help
so will AJFormS, NM yr etc
you may also hear from the loose converter, low gears, old slow cam ignoranuses
chees

Can someone tell me anything about the Mopar Performance Intake 4532174?

I am building a street 440 and have this intake on my shelf. Gonna run some 906 heads, 6 pack pistons, thinking about the Hughes Whiplash cam, 727, 3.55 gears.

I’m open to a different intake, but since I’ve got this one I know nothing about it, maybe someone can help

Hey Brian,

That intake was made decades ago and was about the best on the market for its designed parameters back in the day. As you probably so often read, dual plane for the street, single plane for the track, generally is a really good rule of thumb to follow.

This intake is listed for performance use from 13 seconds in the 1/4, down to the 10.50 bracket range. There was no capable dual plane from MoPar back then.

Speaking of which, what cam are you running & your compression ratio?)

“Today”, that MP single plane intake works best from approximately 4,000 - 7,000 & plus RPM. The way the old MoPar books set this intake up for use was with a (small) cam duration @.050 in the 238@050 range which is small with that intake but also the only reasonable intake for the job that MoPar had. There dual plane was just a aluminum copy of the stock iron.

That 13 second cam is the purple 280/.480. It is a lot larger than the Hughes Whiplash.

This single plane intake should be on a very hot street car at the least with the appropriate gear to back it up for best results. I honestly think you’ll be disappointed with it in street use. I guess your question is really, “Can it be made to work?” Well, yes, but .... It’s just something I would not do. The engine and car will perform much nicer with a RPM up top the engine, it will make more torque and not really giving anything up HP wise against the single plane.

(FWIW, this is what I would do myself considering your above listed set up, I would shelve it or sell the M1 to roll the money over into a RPM intake & a 750/800 cfm carb. OE, Holley, Edelbrock (AVS or AVS II)
What ever carb your OK with. Ether will perform will excellence.)

(Edit-spelling also added a question.)

Last edited:
Ok, new wrinkle, just picked up an Edelbrock Performer RPM for this motor. I appreciate all the comments guys. I need to learn more about how the intake/cam/compression/head flow/converter/gears all work together... Like, what’s the “magic combo” for the street. Radical idol, low end torque and can smoke the tires off when I stick my foot in it. Yet dosile enough to take on a 50 mile road trip.

Last edited:
LMAO! That was funny.

Some people like a true street’er. Something like a mild cam @ 230@050 or less, Low lift, .500 or less, stock rockers & maybe heads, 3.55 gears, 9.0-1 or less so it drinks 87, sounds great, headers or not.

Like, what’s the “magic combo” for the street. Radical idol, low end torque and can smoke the tires off when I stick my foot in it. Yet dosile enough to take on a 50 mile road trip.
Radical idle? Have the cam made on a 106 with an early exhaust valve closing.

Auto Transport Service
Back