• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

More bad news at Tesla motors...

If I was a young person looking to train and enter the job market today, I'd take a serious look at the electrical industry in some capacity.

There is great opportunity there at present and it's only going to increase.

Like many infrastructures, the electric grid needs constant repair and upgrade just to meet current demand.
Adding demand will indeed tax the system we have.
Fast charge stations are not like plugging into 110 at home. They need to suck amps fast by nature.

Short story---When working at a local power plant I learned some interesting stuff. When the time came to turn on reactor coolant pumps at the plant--the operators needed to let the local dam operators know when exactly that would happen. These electric motors started hard and full. They could trip a cascade of events in the grid if it was not anticipated.

These folks driving the train of electricity are moved to run at full speed on old tracks. They are much like air traffic controllers. They dodge huge wrecks as a daily order of business.

A smart guy wrote:
Environmental Engineer here. We are sitting on top of newly found oil reserves which are massive, combined with our past reserves is enough to last the US for one hundred years or more.

Fuel economy standards are inching up.

Emissions from those nasty internal combustion engines are essentially minute due to cleaner fuels, fuel injection, catalytic converters, and engine improvements.

Emissions from refineries (as are coal fired power plants) have been ratcheted down to levels unseen in the industrial age....essentially below the point where there is no impact on the environment.

What? No mention of our very clean vast natural gas reserves? Reserves that are easier and cleaner to produce and utilize? Trillions of cubic feet right under our feet. Our fleet used to be natural gas powered and ran fine......

To summarize, given the vast amounts of nat gas/oil and the minute emissions from the combustion of said fuels, the idiots pushing electric cars all have an agenda..mainly the almighty DOLLAR, although we do get some of the ignorant tree huggers protesting here at our offices. They arrive in SUV's and Planes, and come here to protest the use of fossil fuels???? I suggested to a few one time that oil is cheap, along with soap, razors and deodorant as most of them can't carry an intelligent conversation, much less practice a little personal hygiene.

Climate change? Maybe. Man-Made climate change? NO WAY. It is all a ruse to make money and push agendas, even to favor certain industries. Remember the tax money debacles under Barry?

Even some people who drive these so called 'clean' electric cars don't even realize that the electrons coming from their wall outlet are generated by the combustion of a fossil fuel. Yes I am biased because I see the entire picture.....it is all about the money....ask Gore.
The communist degrowther "movement" actually admitted, in writing, that they wanted to bring the "greenies" in to grow their communist hordes. ANTI-CAPITALIST who want everyone to be "equally miserable" except for them, of course. They will enjoy the largess of taxes, penalties, fines, and "licence fees" which in the end are all paid by "the masses".
THAT is the TRUTH!

Like many infrastructures, the electric grid needs constant repair and upgrade just to meet current demand.
Adding demand will indeed tax the system we have.
Fast charge stations are not like plugging into 110 at home. They need to suck amps fast by nature.

Short story---When working at a local power plant I learned some interesting stuff. When the time came to turn on reactor coolant pumps at the plant--the operators needed to let the local dam operators know when exactly that would happen. These electric motors started hard and full. They could trip a cascade of events in the grid if it was not anticipated.

These folks driving the train of electricity are moved to run at full speed on old tracks. They are much like air traffic controllers. They dodge huge wrecks as a daily order of business.

We work at NASA Glenn research quite a bit.
They have 2 wind tunnels there (my grandfather worked the 8 By 6 tunnel from the 50's till the 80's) and they run them at night so as to not tax the grid during peak daytime hours.

Motor loads are a big draw. That's why motors aren't started at full speed. We use soft starters or VFD's to start motors so they don't spike.

The thing with electrical consumption is that there is an ever increasing demand and load. Look at a modern kitchen in a house as compared to one from 1970. Kitchens have 8 to 10 20 amp circuits today. In 1970, you got 2 or 3. New homes have 200 amp services and 50 years ago they had 60 amp services.
The point is.....electrical demand is always increasing and the distribution system needs work. Large capital improvement. That will be the case, regardless of wether or not electric vehicles become the norm.

Last edited:
I had a chat with my grandson last weekend. (He just got his license to drive) He wants a Tesla.
We chatted about a few things and one question I had for him was about charging time. He had no clue but soon found the answer on his phone.:)
As I recall--In a special high power charging station, it could take from 30 to 60 min. And the cost for a fill up is something I would still like to know.

Nearby my place a five-pump charging station was installed at a shopping mall. The name on the pumps is PGE -the local power company.
It will be interesting to see how the -electric power company- chooses to compete for the market with the oil companies. -MILES PER DOLLAR-?

Reports of damaged Teslas at body shops for months waiting for parts. Also, in cold climates the recessed door handles won’t deploy due to being frozen. Henry Ford and the Dodge Brothers made it on their own. John and Horace. No Government subsidies. Musk does not walk on water as reported.

Now he has lost his mind in tweets about the cave rescue. Taxpayers continue to take it in the shorts.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/tesla-shares-drop-embarrassing-memo-160354021.html
That's one of the problems. Musk's ego. (Surprising how ego gets in the way these days?) Electric car's are going to win. Torque curve far superior to gas motors. And is more efficient. If battery technology can catch up. 100 years ago gas barely beat out electric. Imagine how far we would be had it not? I know it's not what any of us wants to hear? But truth and $$ always win in the end. We just have to go thru a whole lot of BS until the final kill.

IMO- batteries are still rather primitive when it comes to containing a huge amount of potential power in a small safe package.
Hydrogen powered vehicles are another example of that ongoing quest.

I will never drive an electric car. When cars are against the law, i will have one. 80% of the energy in this Country comes from fossil fuel and will for a long time. Many Teslas charge source is coal fired. I’d also like to hear what is about to runover me as it approaches. To put the financial burdon to launch this is outrageous. If they are the future, the market will figure it out and prevail.

If battery technology can catch up.

I recall this EXACT conversation with a long time friend we had 54 years ago.:eek:
Battery tec. has come a long way in 54 years. It remains to be a hurdle yet to be cleared. The biggest handicap with electric cars is fueling them in a competitive and practical way. The performance of --electric drive-- has never been the holdup in making it work for the masses.

I’d also like to hear what is about to runover me as it approaches.

Electric cars can use audio systems to make them sound like a locomotive if desired.:)
I am with you that electric cars are essentially powered by coal. A topic that usually causes pain for those that have a hard time looking past their nose.

Auto Transport Service
Back