• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Motor Oil opinions

If you use the Rotella do you need to use zinc additive? Rotella is for diesels is that correct?

Watch out and do some internet searching. People still swear it is high zddp but it was affected years ago like the other oils so get on their website and look at the specs. Personally, I wouldn't run it because it is made for diesels so the additive package and detergrnts are different. But, others will swear by it.

If you use the Rotella do you need to use zinc additive? Rotella is for diesels is that correct?
I don't know about "need", but I do add ZDDP Plus, and yes, technically Rotella is a diesel oil . (I use 10W30)

As Steve said, it HAS had it's Zinc level reduced, but is still higher than "most" motor oils.

Steve I do not use the zinc additive anymore but did a few times in the past years.
Yes, Rotella is marketed at the diesel engine, I had heard in the past it did have more zinc , that plus in years past my V8s lived on 10 - 40 so I figured what the heck.
I think its been a good choice , no cam/ lifter issues ect with my old 383.

Don't use synthetic rotella (blue bottle) in a flat tappet engine. The zddp has been reduced significantly in the new specifications for syn diesel oil. White bottle conventional 15w-40 is still fairly high zddp. Diesel oil specs are changing so if you use rotella, keep close eye on the API doughnut on the bottle (now CJ4/SM for white triple protection). Easy way to keep track is to compare new labels with old bottles in your garage. You don't want cj4/SN diesel oil as that is the new reduced zinc/phos specification.

I use Valvoline vr1, and joe Gibbs driven for extended drain intervals. Cheap high zddp oil days are officially over with the SN and newer API spec.

I use the same oil in my 2003 Pathfinder as I do my 1962 Belvedere solid tappet motor..
..Mobil One Synthetic High Mileage 10w 30. ZDDP content is 1200ppm which seems to work very well in both motors. Using ot around a year in the 318 and I haven't had to adjust a valve at all. $25 / 5 quart jug and Mobil One has a rebate deal where you can get $10 per 5 quarts of oil.

I have to retract my statement on the zddp levels. I saw a revised product chart and the Mobil 1 high mileage synthetic oils are 900ppm now. :( The only ones I saw with high zddp were the 15w50 and some european car oils. I guess I will surrender to the expensive oil overlords Penn or Gibbs.

Threewood I know, the only Mobil 1 with over 1200ppm now is the racing 15w50 for Porsches. Spring pressures and cam lift are considerations as well when picking an oil. I have run my mild 383 with rotella and mass market SN spec 800ppm oils mixed with vr1 but for big lift flat tappets i would not even consider doing that.

Rotella T3 15/40. 1200ppm of zinc. More than sufficient and reasonably priced.

Is the documentation on the bottle or found else where?
Other than that I have nothing to put 15/40 in.

I run it in my hydraulic cammed 440 and my solid, flat tappet cammed 493 stroker.

"Shell is marketing their new CJ-4/SM oil as "Triple Protection," meaning it provides enhanced qualities for engine wear, soot control and engine cleanliness. Shell's Rotella indicates that on-road testing confirms the new Triple Protection technology produces better anti-wear characteristics than their existing CI-4+ rated Rotella oil. This is achieved despite a lower zinc and phosphorus additive level as called for by the API CJ-4 specification. The 15W-40 Rotella T with Triple Protection oil has approximately 1200 ppm of zinc and 1100 ppm phosphorus at the time of manufacture."

Scooby what are your oil pressures with 15w40 in your stroker?

I've used the other rotella grades before but 15w40 puts me over 90lbs. My rb stroker is at the shop now, will be a solid flat at near .600 lift. Builder is suggesting Penn or Gibbs.

I used to run rotella in everything I owned at one time, SBC BBM and Kawasaki zx10r with a wet clutch. Back in the API-SL days. Not sure I want to take the risk with the new motor.

remember people,dont compare apples to oranges here.zinc is anti crush presure lube.1200 ppm or better is needed for flat tappet eng's only(higher spring presure with no roller bearing).dont need to worry with hyd or roller type eng.rotella did change the formula a year or two ago and i have not seen any new spec's that tell the real zinc ppm.

Scooby what are your oil pressures with 15w40 in your stroker?

I've used the other rotella grades before but 15w40 puts me over 90lbs. My rb stroker is at the shop now, will be a solid flat at near .600 lift. Builder is suggesting Penn or Gibbs.

I used to run rotella in everything I owned at one time, SBC BBM and Kawasaki zx10r with a wet clutch. Back in the API-SL days. Not sure I want to take the risk with the new motor.

I'll get back to you with the oil pressure reading in the Spring when I ressurect the beast from its winter chamber.

remember people,dont compare apples to oranges here.zinc is anti crush presure lube.1200 ppm or better is needed for flat tappet eng's only(higher spring presure with no roller bearing).dont need to worry with hyd or roller type eng.rotella did change the formula a year or two ago and i have not seen any new spec's that tell the real zinc ppm.
That what I have found also. That is why I asked where they were getting their info. Its no longer on the bottle, even the desiel no longer shows a zine level.

That what I have found also. That is why I asked where they were getting their info. Its no longer on the bottle, even the desiel no longer shows a zine level.

IMG_3826.PNG

Threewood I know, the only Mobil 1 with over 1200ppm now is the racing 15w50 for Porsches. Spring pressures and cam lift are considerations as well when picking an oil. I have run my mild 383 with rotella and mass market SN spec 800ppm oils mixed with vr1 but for big lift flat tappets i would not even consider doing that.

I just checked my Mobil 1 high mileage stash and it is all API SL, meaning it has the 1200ppm zddp. It was purchased within the past year. I'm going to raid the local Walmart and see if they have more.
The updated product specs are from March 2017, and shows the new high mileage as an API SN rating, so 800ppm.

Edit: Got back from walmart and oreillys.....all of it is SN :(

Last edited:
I use AmsOil's Z-ROD line. I change oil just before I pack her away for the Winter every year.

I use AmsOil's Z-ROD line. I change oil just before I pack her away for the Winter every year.

I change mine after winter storage, since the crankcase builds up moisture from the cold temps, thus contaminating the oil.

Auto Transport Service
Back