• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MP cast valvecover...holy PITA!!!

I'm just old and cranky.

Nope, I'm the one that's old and Cranky :D
upload_2022-4-29_0-41-26.jpeg

MP discontinued the grommets before they quit casting the valve covers.

This little plug and grommet set bears the same part number as the original grommet, and searching for it specifically (with or without the P) should bring up at least a couple suppliers. The kit was $17 if I remember right (outrageous for two chunks of rubber) but the question of whether they'll fit is answered.

The biggest problem with aftermarket "Help Section" generic grommets is that the seating groove is too narrow to fit in the half inch thick knockout boss. (You can also cut the bottom off the plug to use a larger PCV valve if necessary.)

16512447577529106784075694895832.jpg

16512448170769061654415509515096.jpg

I hope this helps!

FB_IMG_1642879133888.jpg

This little plug and grommet set bears the same part number as the original grommet, and searching for it specifically (with or without the P) should bring up at least a couple suppliers. The kit was $17 if I remember right (outrageous for two chunks of rubber) but the question of whether they'll fit is answered.

The biggest problem with aftermarket "Help Section" generic grommets is that the seating groove is too narrow to fit in the half inch thick knockout boss. (You can also cut the bottom off the plug to use a larger PCV valve if necessary.)

View attachment 1277520

View attachment 1277521

I hope this helps!

View attachment 1277534

:poke: :D

VC's after1.jpg

If you were any more awesome you'd be twins Mario! Poke me with a stick anytime you want :bananaweed:. Did you have any issues using my knockouts?

Yes, please and thank you!!:bananadance::bananadance::bananadance::bananadance:

Nope. I had the proper grommets for yer holes. :rofl:

Last edited:

View attachment 1277520

View attachment 1277521

I hope this helps!

View attachment 1277534
The knockout boss was way thicker than 1/2". Try more like 3/4"+. I'd be willing to bet that the grommets you show measure the same as the Phord ones do. 1.25" groove diameter and groove 1/2" depth. Those did not fit the VCs I have without machine work.

I wouldn't say "way thicker" than a half inch.

FB_IMG_1651448820977.jpg

The grommet / plug set I posted WILL FIT. If it didn't, my own covers would leak and I'd have dozens of pissed off customers because these are the most repeated thing that have crossed my bench for almost 16 years.

The photo above is from my post about your very same question to Facebook fans and friends back in 2017. Yours is not a unique issue. Other manufacturers make the grommet, and thankfully stayed mainly true to Mopar's original part number.

P.S. no one will crucify you for spelling Ford properly here. We're mostly adults.

I have a set of Cal Custom valve covers. My buddy found an oil cap with the PCV valve attached to the top. I just installed another breather type cap on the other side. Both are twist on with gaskets. So far no issues.

Auto Transport Service
Back