• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MSD ignition Coil Wire

Rick

Local time
2:23 PM
Reaction score
Purchased a MSD ignition coil wire for use on a blaster 2 coil and it came shown below.

Not sure but the coil stem doesn't fit very well in the coil. Anyone have any experience with these or a modification. Concern with spark jump. 100_0156.jpg100_0156.jpg

That piece may be an adapter for an HEI style distributor cap. Try the wire without it.

Msd will have different coil wires. When I got my wire kit, the coil wire was not correct. I had to order another one to match up good to my coil. Check your wire kit model/product number and then msd site for correct application for your coil. Hope that helps.

Anyone knows how far the spark will jump up through the coil.. Plugging the wire directly onto the top of the coil results in the wire contact being about 3 inches from the coil body.

I don't know..

Anyone knows how far the spark will jump up through the coil.. Plugging the wire directly onto the top of the coil results in the wire contact being about 3 inches from the coil body.

Air is a pretty terrible conductor, so if you're suggesting running it like that, forget it. Snap a picture of the coil and post it. I'm running a BLASTER SS cool, which is a bit different, but I'll post a pic in a while.

From MSDs site:
http://www.msdperformance.com/Produ...33_-_HEI_Coil_Wire,_Blaster_2,_SC,_Black.aspx

As HT413 said, you don't want any air gap between the terminal in the coil tower and the coil wire terminal. The voltage jumping that gap would eat away one end or the other pretty quickly. I have a blaster 2 coil and use a standard MSD boot and terminal. Can you post a picture of the coil and the part number?

Yeah my blaster SS is a pretty straight forward affair. I've attached a pic of some of their other coils. Which one do you have? Worst case, take the coil to your local auto parts store and they should have something for ya. image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

I'm running same coil as HT. that needs a different coil wire than what comes in the wire kits.. I'll go look and see if I can find my slip and the part number...

- - - Updated - - -

I just looked at your post again and are you running the cylinder type blaster 2 or the one like HT?

If cylinder type, you'll need a wire like I attached in the pic..

If it's like HT's you'll need the one you have minus the adapter. Part number msd 84039.

Let me know if you need the one in the pic.. It's a spare!!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 126
100_0157.jpg

I am thinking that JEGS sent me the wrong coil wire but their tech rep said that the stub is the connector which allows the coil to be connected to the ready to run distributor. Cant believe this since the stub will never provide a tight connection.

I agree on wrong wire. It looks to me that they sent you the wire for coil HT and I have. The wire I posted should work. It's just a regular coil wire you should be able to get anywhere..

that is the hei adapter. the adapter is upside down, the spark plug looking end of it plugs into the wire and the other end goes into the coil

Auto Transport Service
Back