• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MSD Rust and clearance

BubbaMope

Local time
2:59 AM
Reaction score
Anybody else have a problem with rust on MSD reluctor and mag pickup? Is there a good way to prevent it?
Also, I tried initially to install a MSD Ready to Run in my 70 Belvedere but it wouldn't clear under the 2 speed wiper motor. I don't get why they made it so tall. Are there other MSD distributors that will clear the 2 speed motor?

There are many rust proofing compounds on the market, why couldn't the bare metal be primed or primed and painted? It shouldn't affect the magnetic field. Maybe no metallic paint?
Worst case result: remove the coating.
Mike

Last edited:
A Mallory should fit... had the rust on an MSD too...and yeah there too big like an HEI. I just scuffed off the big stuff and nothing else and worked fine.

Did it on magnetos all the time. Clean the rust off, to bare, clean metal, and put a thin film of high temp grease on it. Really helps to hold down any rusting.

Don't think there should be any rust/ozoning going on there. Do you see anything that looks like burn marks on the rotor? GM's HEI units were a prime example of this with scorching on the rotor that would then transfer through the shaft and could eventually weld/rust up the advance mechanisms. The cause was from the plug wires having too much resistance, sometimes bad plugs too and the power that was supposed to go through the wires to the plugs took the path of least resistance instead. You might be able to see if there are issues if you run the car at night with surrounding light off and see if you have an under hood light show going on.

Don't think there should be any rust/ozoning going on there. Do you see anything that looks like burn marks on the rotor? GM's HEI units were a prime example of this with scorching on the rotor that would then transfer through the shaft and could eventually weld/rust up the advance mechanisms. The cause was from the plug wires having too much resistance, sometimes bad plugs too and the power that was supposed to go through the wires to the plugs took the path of least resistance instead. You might be able to see if there are issues if you run the car at night with surrounding light off and see if you have an under hood light show going on.
Thank you sir for your response. I had the same problem on my 70 Dodge years ago. I called MSD and they said if it didn't run frequently it would rust, unless if I drilled holes in the side of the cap... I tried that and it still happened because the truck was broke more than not. I saw the new cap was vented and had hoped that solved the problem, it did not. I've been doing many major mods to my Belvedere so she has seen a lot of down time lately. I've already replaced the pickup and reluctor once with the unit only being in the car 2 years. Plug wires are 2 year old MSD 40 ohm and brand new plugs. I'm curious about the Pertronix units, I have heard nothing about them either way.

Auto Transport Service
Back