• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My 1967 Belvedere Convertible Plans and Restoration (aka - Mad Scientist Build)

Pretty slick looking Mason work Kahn! Good luck with wrapping it up.

Impressive amount of Bondo! That area was more of a sculpture than an actual car body.

Thanks Prop . . . enjoy doing it, but I don't think I will quit my day job . . . ( lmao )

Already been spending some time on the area and trying to see what I can do with it while it is still attached to the car . . . made some good progress on the top area, bringing the low spot upwards, which moved the top seam out . . . getting it much closer so that I hoping it will only needs a skim coat to finish off and not the 1/2" they had on it before . . .

Still trying to figure what I need to do with this mess to get it respectable . . .

A body hammer and dolly with some patience is all i can think of unless you would want to replace it, If its solid at all i would try some old fashion body work with the tools and see if you can get it respectable again.. The patience is the hardest with some of this stuff, if they knew about this, yes sir, that sucks!

14+ months later . . .

On 7/28/2013 I ordered my parts from American Powertrain, including a shifter that they sell called the White Lightning. Yesterday, 14 months and 4 days after ordering and paying for the parts, the shifter was finally delivered . . .

First - it was not the White Lightning shifter, and there are no markings nor labels on the unit, so I have no clue what it is . . .
And all the promises from AP that I would receive a Wilwood master cylinder for all the delays - was not included ( why does this not surprise me )

Interesting Business model on making promises, selling and delivering products, and then following through with their promises . . . these are the facts.

On 7/28/2013 I ordered my parts from American Powertrain, including a shifter that they sell called the White Lightning. Yesterday, 14 months and 4 days after ordering and paying for the parts, the shifter was finally delivered . . .

First - it was not the White Lightning shifter, and there are no markings nor labels on the unit, so I have no clue what it is . . .
And all the promises from AP that I would receive a Wilwood master cylinder for all the delays - was not included ( why does this not surprise me )

Interesting Business model on making promises, selling and delivering products, and then following through with their promises . . . these are the facts.

I told you about 6 months ago I would have requested my money back and been done with these A-holes based on your stories....I'd let him know that you are considering consulting a lawyer relative to the payments made for products and services that have not been delivered...but that's just me. No more benefit of the doubt....hang em out to dry with their BS.

I told you about 6 months ago I would have requested my money back and been done with these A-holes based on your stories....I'd let him know that you are considering consulting a lawyer relative to the payments made for products and services that have not been delivered...but that's just me. No more benefit of the doubt....hang em out to dry with their BS.

I'm thinking about calling them myself since I'll eventually be buying a T56 and let them know why I won't be buying from them. At least they'll know there are consequences for there lack of customer support.

I really do feel for you bud, ive been in the same place with the same kind of "people", I get so mad that i just have to hang up before i say something that could get me in some big trouble, I can NOT stand for liars and BULL ______.. Id like to think a scare of a lawyer and some light threats of court or whatever has to be done would work but to be honest, it isint the first time they've heard it and they just don't care! The better business bureau might be a good first step, ive used them before but lol, i never did here of how it turned out, i cant remember who it was but was something a bit less then this and i still got it in the back... With me, small or large, i cant stand being cheated, i try to be as honest as possible and joe blow just wants to nail anyone he can.. ok, rant over. ;( sorry Mr. Khan..

Worked on the new rear end . . . in primer

The rear end that 747 helped out with narrowing and reinforcing was beginning to surface rust, so it need to be put in primer . . .

So I spent the time today and got it in VHT Epoxy Paint . . . going to love the way this looks under the car ! ! !

sm_modifiedrearend.jpg

And, of course, a BIG THANKS to 747 for all of his help . . . no I have got to find a posi for this thing
( my open carrier is welded and will not go back in the car )

That looks real good to... you say your going to like the way this looks under the beast, if i can ask, is this the color its supposed to be or are you just liking the shade of the color, i guess it sounds like a stupid question but i have a 3/4 rear end and the leaf springs ive media blasted and used some of "Eastwoods" rust converter and primed them and this looks like they would have looked "the" day she came down the line so i guess im wondering what is the correct color! LOL, Have to ask being im looking at one that does look right!!! I like the look to bro! AND a thanks from me to Devin for the help!!! :)

Let us see what kind of mischief I got into this past weekend . . .

Looking at the rippled quarter panel, and wondering what I could do with it, got me thinking . . . what if . . .

the bad section is about 2 feet wide and two feet tall . . . how about cutting it out, try to straighten it out, then weld it back in ? ?

So I marked off the bad section . . . and cut it out . . .

sm_reshape00.jpg

The edges had a good profile to them, so I marked the edge on the piece of 2 X 6 . . . to help with shaping . . .

sm_reshape01.jpg

then I used the length of the 2 X 6 to work the directions from edge to edge a little smoother . . .

sm_reshape02.jpg

and I used the cut out contour of section of the 2 X 6 to work out the top to bottom shaping of the panel . . .

sm_reshape03.jpg

until I got a piece that looks more like the car panel and less like the Atlantic Ocean . . . still got a little more shaping to do, but it is coming along nicely . . .

sm_reshape04.jpg

Good idea! That sure is looking better than how it had been. Nothing to lose by trying it and should be a ton better

Fabrication at its best! Solid and looking good, You of all will make this work right..... Go for it Khan.. Man i cant get used to that handle! lol... im workin on it, i AM! :)

I'm following your build closeley!
I'll be doing simmilar with my newest project, the 67 GTX.
starting soon.
Great job!
PS: Those inner fender wells, you restored them?
Not "STORE BOUGHT" ?
Great job!

Nice fab work Kahn! Pretty cool! Way to deal with the Atlantic Ocean effect..lol

14 Months waiting on parts.......GGGrrrrr!!! I do have a Louisville Slugger in the garage. I could go down there and giv'em a Chicago mustache for ya. Bunch of bums..

Nice fab work Kahn! Pretty cool! Way to deal with the Atlantic Ocean effect..lol

14 Months waiting on parts.......GGGrrrrr!!! I do have a Louisville Slugger in the garage. I could go down there and giv'em a Chicago mustache for ya. Bunch of bums..

If you're goin I'm riding shotgun (that has two meanings)

That sure is looking better!!!!

Thanks 747Mopar . . . still hope that this works out . . . so far, uh, so good ? ? ?

- - - Updated - - -

Good idea! That sure is looking better than how it had been. Nothing to lose by trying it and should be a ton better

Thanks KB . . . it is ALL your fault for your help with me early in this build, you helped me to see that I can try it, and if it does not work out, you just cut it out and start over . . . so I keep that thought in mind and dig in . . . I have had to cut a couple pieces out, but the majority of them have been welded in for good !

Thanks for the great advice ! !

- - - Updated - - -

Fabrication at its best! Solid and looking good, You of all will make this work right..... Go for it Khan.. Man i cant get used to that handle! lol... im workin on it, i AM! :)

Thanks Ron, but let's wait and see what it all looks like when it goes back together . . . keeping my fingers crossed ! ! !

- - - Updated - - -

I'm following your build closeley!
I'll be doing simmilar with my newest project, the 67 GTX.
starting soon.
Great job!
PS: Those inner fender wells, you restored them?
Not "STORE BOUGHT" ?
Great job!

Thanks super-beeski . . . Inner wheel wells were mini tubbed, and also de-humped - nothing was store bought

Thanks Daytona Kid and 747 Mopar - they helped me to better understand it - I am really happy with the results and the wheels will fit under it nicely.

Will look forward to seeing your build thread on the '67 GTX ! ! !

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks Prop . . . I may have to take you up on it. The story gets even better . . .

So, I ordered a White lightning ( got receipt for proof ) and they decided they would swap the shifter to a Red Robin ( ? ? ? WTF is that ? ? ? ). So I contacted them about returning the shifter, that I did NOT order for a refund, and they tell me that I can't get any refund on it ? ? ? Now, to me that sounds like "bait and switch" on top of 14 months delivery time ! ! !

May just have to take my ole butt to visit a lawyer to find out my options - ( they still owe me a drive shaft - remember that too )

SIGH

- - - Updated - - -

this just proves that nothing gonna stop you khan. GREAT work. love it.

Thanks USARR . . . I learned form the BEST - YOU - nothing stops you either . . . I have been pulling for you all along ! ! ! I will keep at it ! !

- - - Updated - - -

If you're goin I'm riding shotgun (that has two meanings)

LMAO KB67 . . . You are the best - this group is great in the way they support all the members.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks Ron . . . you are ALWAYS there and always have a kind word to say . . . thanks ! ! I glad to you started a thread for your build too - I am following along ! ! !

Don't torture yourself to much following me, remember buddy, IM watching you, I need the direction, instructions, Know how, I need, ok ill stop i need so much stuff its unreal rofl.... Your doing great, i think when your done you'll be happy as can be! :)

Auto Transport Service
Back