• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My 1967 Belvedere Convertible Plans and Restoration (aka - Mad Scientist Build)

can you get a charger one of those shirts?

Sure can. If you scroll up you'll see the link was provided for 747 for the Charger.

I wanted to order a couple different colors but I couldn't make sense of of how to order more than one without selecting the same colour d'oh! I'm thinking about getting GOON silkscreened on the back of mine!

If it helps any of you guys with sizing mine is an XL but fits me more like an XXL I would typically buy. Normally XL is more fitted on me.

Last edited:
im jealous of those t-shirts you posted, i want one for a 70. and second of all i got my car on jack stands because my 12inch front rotors suck now after seeing your 13inch rotors......dammit more money. lmao

Maaaan! I'm jealous of the new front end parts big time! That picture you sent me was one thing, but everything all unpacked looks amazing!

Great job with the rear seat platform and work on fitting the strut brace too, keep at it kahn!

I couldn't take it, my Charger shirt is on it's way!

im jealous of those t-shirts you posted, i want one for a 70. and second of all i got my car on jack stands because my 12inch front rotors suck now after seeing your 13inch rotors......dammit more money. lmao

Hey USARR . . . check out this link - http://www.ebay.com/itm/1970-Plymouth-Road-Runner-Muscle-Car-Tshirt-NEW-FREE-SHIPPING-/321204129065?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&var=&hash=item4ac9420d29

Here's the shirt . . .

699489188_o.jpg

Thanks . . . It was the best January Christmas I ever had when I got my parts and unpacked them . . . Now I've got to get the bodywork done so I can get all those new shineys installed on my car ! ! Right now they're just nice "art" pieces sitting in my living room . . . ( sigh )

- - - Updated - - -

Maaaan! I'm jealous of the new front end parts big time! That picture you sent me was one thing, but everything all unpacked looks amazing!

Great job with the rear seat platform and work on fitting the strut brace too, keep at it kahn!

Thanks Speedy . . . trying to keep moving forward on this project and get it done so I can get it on the road ! ! Talk about Chomping at the bit ! ! ! ARGH ! ! !

- - - Updated - - -

I couldn't take it, my Charger shirt is on it's way!

I know what you mean 747 Mopar . . . I'm just about ready to go and order a couple myself . . . They are really cool ! ! !

( but I won't be able to put GOON on the back ! )

Roughed in the passenger side front strut - now, is it positioned correctly ? ?

Got the passenger side forward strut "roughed" in and set into place - taking another good look at the pictures on the web and position of the parts in my picture to try and determine if I need to make any additional modifications to the parts to get them positioned better . . .

Here's the whole picture . . . looks pretty good . . . but lets look at the individual parts . . .

sm_passforwardstrut01.jpg

Up at the front connection to the frame rail . . . is this too close, does it need to be brought back further away from the front support ?

sm_passforwardstrut02.jpg

The attachment at the firewall . . . is it in the correct location - does it need to go higher or lower on the plate ?

sm_passforwardstrut03.jpg

This brace support looks pretty good - just need to move the other attachment points ( if needed ) and keep this aligned like it is . . .

sm_passforwardstrut04.jpg

Any body ever install any of these - suggestions on how it's currently aligned and how it may need to be moved ? ?

Here's a pic from the Magnum Force website:

IMG_1347blowres.jpg

I'd get the engine in the car before I welded those in to make sure you won't cause yourself clearance issues with the valve covers or anything like that. But I think I'd move it back and down about an inch or more. Enough room to get in with a welder around the front of that tube.

I'd get the engine in the car before I welded those in to make sure you won't cause yourself clearance issues with the valve covers or anything like that. But I think I'd move it back and down about an inch or more. Enough room to get in with a welder around the front of that tube.

Very, very good suggestion KB67 . . . let me add this picture from a different angle on the front struts . . .

sm_passforwardstrut05.jpg

From this angle you can see that the strut is "tucked" back behind the shock tower and frame - since the engine can be put into the car from the bottom, and would have to clear the frames, my "thought" was that the struts would be back out of the way ( maybe ? ? ) . . .

My thoughts on the struts were as follows - there is a plate that gets welded to the top of the frame, and to the front of the firewall. So I was going to get everything fitted into their locations and give them a good tack weld to the strut, then pull the whole assembly out to weld. My welding is not that good, and welding in those tight quarters would result in some f-ugly welds - so by removing the whole assembly, and getting access from all sides, I might be able to do a little better weld ( I hope ). Then I would weld the plates to the frame and firewall . . . .

Hope that sounds like a plan ? ?

Oh, but Believe me when I say I WANT to get my engine in the car ! ! !

Additional work for installation of the forward struts . . .

While I'm working on the passenger side forward strut, the hole in the fender was still bothering me after I filled in the panel on the driver side - so I figured I better get in here now and get the thing fixed before I get the strut installed . . .

Here's the hole and it would be directly behind the strut . . .

sm_passfixhole01.jpg

So I cut out the offending dent and hole . . .

sm_passfixhole02.jpg

cut a new piece of metal and got it fitted into place . . .

sm_passfixhole03.jpg

And got the thing tacked into place . . . ready for final welding . . .

sm_passfixhole04.jpg

Get it welded, and ground down and then I can get the strut put in place . . .

wow khan, all that fabbing you will able to weld blind folded pretty soon. your car is coming together nicely. thanks for the link for the shirts. i cant wait to get mine.

Welded and "mostly" ground . . .

Got the rest of the welding done on the panel and spent some time on the grinding . . .

Didn't turn out too bad . . .

sm_passfixhole05.jpg

( now I can go and grind down the back side a bit . . . )

- - - Updated - - -

wow khan, all that fabbing you will able to weld blind folded pretty soon. your car is coming together nicely. thanks for the link for the shirts. i cant wait to get mine.

That won't be too hard USARR . . . I'm welding blind anyways ! ! ! LMAO . . . Or at least I feel like it some times . . .

Looks great. This will be worthy of SEMA by the time you decide its "good enough" haha. I love how you take the time to do small things like remove contours you don't like, fill factory holes and the like...really top knotch!

X2 on KB67's post. No shortcuts here! SO many people would leave some of these things and say "no big deal, no one will see or notice that" Your welding is definitely come a long way as it should since you've had a helluva lot of practice and all your attention to "making things right" is going to make for one fine finished product!

Nice work Kahn, that fender looks great and I love the looks of the struts (still think you need a cool looking roll bar haha). Yeap, your fab skills are looking quite impressive!

SEAT GOOD NEWS

Didn't think of this . . . but that last person to use the 2014 Dodge Challenger must have been really short and the seat was place almost at the top of the height, so they may be usable ! ! Usable in the sense that my head will not be crammed into the convertible top ! ! ( LMAO )

Looks great. This will be worthy of SEMA by the time you decide its "good enough" haha. I love how you take the time to do small things like remove contours you don't like, fill factory holes and the like...really top knotch!

Thanks KB67 . . . so I've got an addiction AND I'm also crazy to boot . . . go figure ! ! ! ( smile )

- - - Updated - - -

X2 on KB67's post. No shortcuts here! SO many people would leave some of these things and say "no big deal, no one will see or notice that" Your welding is definitely come a long way as it should since you've had a helluva lot of practice and all your attention to "making things right" is going to make for one fine finished product!

Thanks GOON - if this thing turns out the way I envision it in my head, I think I'll be happy . . . only time will tell. Funny how some little thing bug me and I have to change them ! !

Still working on getting all the metal work completed so I can start on the re-build ( it's not that far off ) YAY ! !

- - - Updated - - -

Nice work Kahn, that fender looks great and I love the looks of the struts (still think you need a cool looking roll bar haha). Yeap, your fab skills are looking quite impressive!

Thanks 747Mopar . . . I have to agree with you, swapping the front and pulling the torsion bars means adding additional support - so that's what I'm doing !

Also, if you go back and look . . . you'll see that I had posted a picture with a convertible with a roll bar - I'm planning on adding one to the Khan-vertible too !

Got the rest of the welding done on the panel and spent some time on the grinding . . .

Didn't turn out too bad . . .

View attachment 236698

( now I can go and grind down the back side a bit . . . )

- - - Updated - - -

That won't be too hard USARR . . . I'm welding blind anyways ! ! ! LMAO . . . Or at least I feel like it some times . . .

Seems all your work is turning out this good, im already jealous with a lot of this and your getting very good with this welding thing!!! And i would at this point believe you could possibly weld blindfolded! I would take the bet lol.... Ill say this, you are making me a little more brave with doing some things, Doesn't seem to slow you down changing things.... :) :) :)

Had to get some new shoes for the Shoe Box . . .

Had to visit the local tire store and get a new pair of shoes for the front of the shoe-box . . . I know, replace all 4 . . . but this is temporary until I get the upgrades on the Shoe-box.

Came out from lunch and noticed some uneven wear, checked it out, and saw a couple steel belts showing through . . . not good.

While at the shop getting the new tires - I saw this . . .

sm_badweartire.jpg

The lady drove in with her Mercedes, and had no idea that BOTH of the front tires were this bad. What's even more interesting is that the state of NC requires a YEARLY inspection of all cars less than 35 years old ( my shoe-box doesn't need one anymore ) and her tires were that bad ? ?

Somebody dropped the ball and didn't do their job - I was told my rear tires were 4/32 and 6/32 and the 4/32 was borderline . . . Humm . . . better get the Belvedere done so I can work on the shoe-box ! ! !

- - - Updated - - -

Seems all your work is turning out this good, im already jealous with a lot of this and your getting very good with this welding thing!!! And i would at this point believe you could possibly weld blindfolded! I would take the bet lol.... Ill say this, you are making me a little more brave with doing some things, Doesn't seem to slow you down changing things.... :) :) :)

Ron . . . this Forum is all at fault, after seeing all the great fab work being done, it's only a matter of how much do you want to do . . .

Be brave . . . if it doesn't work, cut it out and weld another piece in ( the driver side took me 3 tries to get it right ) . . . it'll only improve your results ! ! ! Go for it Ron !

Auto Transport Service
Back