• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My 1967 Belvedere Convertible Plans and Restoration (aka - Mad Scientist Build)

Maybe for the "pure restorations" but you can always keep it for a later date. Honestly as a driver you could clean it up and paint it, would look good in there i think! Just sayin...

Alright . . . so I'm in the process of cleaning up the engine compartment - I'm shooting for the clean look under the hood. So I'm removing all the pieces and parts that can be removed and welding up the holes.

Including this part that says " do not remove " . . . ruh roh . . .

So, the certicard holder is in the engine compartment - but nothing in it . . .

View attachment 147312

I assume it's "important" for pure restorations - but if I'm aiming for a driver, then suggestions ? ? ?

Is it strange that my holder either never existed or was long gone? It was a one owner car too, I have to original title they received after paying off the loan.

More paint removal . . .

Had to make a trip to TN for the golf league that me and my dad were helping build a website . . . out the door at 4:30AM, 4 hours of driving, meeting, lunch, 4 more hours of driving to get home by 5:30-6:00 PM. Long day . . . so I didn't get a lot of time in the shop . . .

But I did spend a little time working on removing more paint from the engine compartment side of the passenger wheel well . . .

sm-paintremoveengpass.jpg

It's coming along . . . slowly but surely . . .

- - - Updated - - -

Maybe for the "pure restorations" but you can always keep it for a later date. Honestly as a driver you could clean it up and paint it, would look good in there i think! Just sayin...

Thanks for the input . . . trying to decide what to do with it . . .

- - - Updated - - -

Is it strange that my holder either never existed or was long gone? It was a one owner car too, I have to original title they received after paying off the loan.

Interesting KB . . . might leave it off, so that it can be offered to someone else ( if they need it for a complete restoration ) . . . that could help someone out.

Your doing a great job, that is the way to strip her, looks good and doing it this smooth the paint should be as shiny as it gets!

Your doing a great job, that is the way to strip her, looks good and doing it this smooth the paint should be as shiny as it gets!

Thanks Ron . . . I try to keep telling myself, pick a project and see it through to the end, then start on the next project . . . piece by piece . . . I'll get it done ! ! !

I think I'm going to like "SHINY" ! ! ! ( grin )

I see elsewhere you mentioned Led Zeppelin, Here is a tribute to him by another group that is tops to me, You'll see Led in the balcony.. enjoy.

[video=youtube;6D2DohKUhZw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6D2DohKUhZw[/video]

I see elsewhere you mentioned Led Zeppelin, Here is a tribute to him by another group that is tops to me, You'll see Led in the balcony.. enjoy.

[video=youtube;6D2DohKUhZw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6D2DohKUhZw[/video]

Now that was incredible ! ! ! Thanks Ron for sharing that . . . I saw Anne and Nancy Wilson ( aka Heart ) in Concert . . . they're great ! ! !

- - - Updated - - -

Got a little time in the shop tonight ( wish I was welding now and all Summer when it was HOT ! ), and got a chance to dig into the engine compartment side of the passenger fender - so I can have both sides completed.

This is how it looks now:

sm_innerpassclean.jpg

Running back to the Auto Paint store tomorrow to "double check"" that the self etching primer that I've got will work with the epoxy paint that I've got - they sold it to me, but I'm just going to take the time to go back and check with them on the compatibility. Sure can't hurt . . .

If all is good . . . . and I don't see any reason why it won't, I might be shooting primer on the passenger fender this weekend.

Still got some corners that I can't get the paint removed, so I picked up a little hand held spot media blaster unit to see if that'll help me get the last little bits cleaned up on the fender. Gonna check and see how it does on little bigger areas too. Curious to see how it works - wish I had a rotisserie ! ! !

Still got some corners that I can't get the paint removed, so I picked up a little hand held spot media blaster unit to see if that'll help me get the last little bits cleaned up on the fender. Gonna check and see how it does on little bigger areas too. Curious to see how it works - wish I had a rotisserie ! ! !

You have more patients then I do! I just kept the original paint and sanded things smooth. I don't know if I would have had enough patients to sit there and sand all the paint off...

I do use my sand blaster for parts and I used it on the outside of the inner fender, worked absolutely fantasitic. Does make a royal mess though.

You have more patients then I do! I just kept the original paint and sanded things smooth. I don't know if I would have had enough patients to sit there and sand all the paint off...

I do use my sand blaster for parts and I used it on the outside of the inner fender, worked absolutely fantasitic. Does make a royal mess though.

I'm still trying to decide if it's patients . . . or stupidity ? ! ? But the paint guys said the self etching primer works best on bare metal, so I'm trying to do my best to make sure that this project is done right . . . so I'm taking it down to bare metal for the "best" results possible.

The hand held media blaster looks like this:

310v01RhzpL._SX385_.jpg

It was only 10-20 bucks, so I thought I've give it a shot - got friends that have been wondering how well they would work. So I guess I'm falling into the product review category on this one and I'm curious myself. If this doesn't work too well, I might have to step up to a much larger portable unit. My plans are to try and build a plastic enclosure around the area to "try" and contain the "royal mess" ( does that beat a "full media storm" ) . . . and allow me to recapture the media and reload the gun.

Don't know how it'll work yet . . . I'll let you all know when I get the product reviewed and the enclosure tested out. ( could be a disaster )

That should work good, The biggest thing is your air compressor, if its large enough to keep up with the blasting you'll be ok.. Mine is small, i mean for blasting and i still use it but i have to wait until it catch's up.. Pain in the behind but i cant get another larger one right now, to many other irons in the fire thats expensive.. Good luck with it!

I used that same handheld blaster a couple of times on my project. Its only good for very small light blasting - and it will make a mess. The volume control leaves a lot to be desired. Doesn't take long to empty out the small hopper. It did work though on spots of parts that were to big to get in my cabinet. So it does have its place, but don't have too big of expectations for it.

I bought the 30# unit from harbor freight and that does a great job for $50. Hint...the media can be bought cheap at menards...real cheap $7 for 50#.

I do have to strain it though...literally use a kitchen strainer as I load it.

And now for something completely different . . .

In addition to re-building my Mopar, I've got another project that I'm working on for the house. It's a combination of my well house, that has been extended to not only contain the well pump, but it's got additional storage - we always can use more storage ! In addition, I've created this neat little "shallow" storage area . . . and if you look at the picture I'm sure you'll be wondering - why would one make the storage area so shallow ? ?

Here's the picture of this area - as you can see, it's only about 1 foot deep:

sm_narrowstorage.jpg

Well - it really comes in handy and organizes my stuff so I'm not tripping all over all the time - and all within easy reach:

Storage for all my lawn and garden tools for around the house:

sm_narrowstorage2.jpg

Works very well - just thought I'd share this little idea with the group.

Thats a pretty cool idea. Great use of a small space there! I just hung mine on the wall when I built my storage shed. Now if I had only built that shed as a 2 story....

Back to a little car work . . .

Had a busy weekend around the house working on clearing out some underbrush in an area in front of my house. It was such a nice weekend I couldn't force myself to go work in the garage. Then my daughter is working on her Captain America Costume and needed some help on the helmet and shield . . . so I've been doing some interesting work with foam ( she researched it ) and helping her make a shield. Will be interesting to see how it turns out.

Now, back to your regularly scheduled program - working on Mopars . . .

Was able to get back into the shop tonight ( after dark ) and get a little more work done in it:

First the driver side engine compartment needs to be stripped of paint:

sm_drsidecleaningeng.jpg

And while were in there ( making engine sounds and pretending ) might as well work on the firewall too:

sm_firewallcleaning1.jpg

And another look at the firewall cleaning process:

sm_firwallcleanign2.jpg

And the questions:
On the fender tag, can it be removed to work on cleaning up the engine compartment ?
The fender tag has been painted - should it be cleaned ? Painted with the car ?

The fender tag indicates that this is a HP 383 car . . . uh, there's no motor . . .

Any helpful pointers on how "not to mess up my fender tag" would be most appreciated ! ! Thanks in advance.

I've used the self etching primers with luck before but it doesn't seam to protect the metal from rust like Epoxy if not topped soon. As far as paint questions go I got sick of getting misleading answers from the paint salesmen and started going on the paint manufactures sites and looking things up for myself "lots of info". They'll usually tell you what the product is intended to be used for and how to prep before application "no guess work or misleading answers". That's some tedious work your doing, ever thought about paint stripper? If seeing the time and effort your putting into just cleaning it is an indication of how you will attack the whole restoration then I think it will turn out great. Good luck

I've used the self etching primers with luck before but it doesn't seam to protect the metal from rust like Epoxy if not topped soon. As far as paint questions go I got sick of getting misleading answers from the paint salesmen and started going on the paint manufactures sites and looking things up for myself "lots of info". They'll usually tell you what the product is intended to be used for and how to prep before application "no guess work or misleading answers". That's some tedious work your doing, ever thought about paint stripper? If seeing the time and effort your putting into just cleaning it is an indication of how you will attack the whole restoration then I think it will turn out great. Good luck

747Mopar . . . I'm trying to keep up with the rest of the group ( you included ) and get this thing done right ! ! ! You guys are an inspiration to me . . . and I love following your work.

If my car turns out half as good as your work, then I'll be happy ! ! !

I'll read up on the primers, they told me to mix the epoxy ( it needs to set for 30 minutes before shooting ) then mix the etching primer, shoot it on the bare metal, by the time you're done with that, shoot the epoxy on the etching primer . . . sounds like a juggling act in the making . . .

Paint strippers . . . yeah . . . wish I could get it media blasted ( should send it to Donny in TX ) ! ! ! I'm still taking it apart, so this seems to make the least mess ( yeah right, you should see my garage ! ! )

The Epoxy I used was the same way "let sit for 15 min I think". I'm sure your car will come out great with the effort your putting in just keep plugging away. I know what your saying "I get on here all the time to see what everyone's up to and find myself wanting to get back to the garage".

Auto Transport Service
Back