• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My 1967 Belvedere Convertible Plans and Restoration (aka - Mad Scientist Build)

Here's what I'm thinking Kahn... with your new plasma cutter and welder finally working the way it should I think you should cut the entire car apart and assemble it again!!! Just to see how fast you can do it this time around! hahaha!!

Here's what I'm thinking Kahn... with your new plasma cutter and welder finally working the way it should I think you should cut the entire car apart and assemble it again!!! Just to see how fast you can do it this time around! hahaha!!

Again ? ? ?

Kahn,

I've been lurking for a bit, but also busy with my trip - so I am just trying to catch up of the cool threads.

Looks like you are making great progress with the engine compartment - maybe you can get it done for summer of next year?! It would be great to see the "creation" run the streets!

I am jealous of your plasma cutter, but I guess I need to improve my welding skills before I can justify buying one. LOL, with welding, I am still in the "I suck" stage...

Hawk

More progress . . . passenger side engine bay in epoxy primer . . .

still working on things to make forward progress . . . and this is the results today . . .

Got the passenger side engine bay in Epoxy primer . . .

View attachment 281180

And pulled out the plasma cutter to trim up the 2013 Challenger tunnel hump some more . . . so I can see what I've got to work with . . . Still have to figure out how much of the metal that I need to remove from the front of this thing . . . but it's sure nice seeing it sitting in the car . . .

View attachment 281179

Also swapped out a male air hose end on the plasma cutter - seems the steel ones want to leak with the female end that I've got on my hose - so I swapped it to the brass fittings and now the thing doesn't "hiss" at me while I'm using the plasma cutter ( unless I pull the trigger ) . . .

Wow, that's quite the hump you got going on there!!!!! Shouldn't be any trouble fitting it under that haha.

Ready, loaded up, and anxious to make mods to the k-member

The K-member from Magnum Force is off by about 1/2" in each direction . . . and although they did offer to make a NEW K-member to fit my dimensions, I guess I'm being a little to picky and working with a local fabricator to make the needed updates . . . Magnum Force has been great, got a modified set of motor plates to me within a week - but they still would not fit properly.

Does this mean that I can now state that my Chevy has a Hemi in it ? ?
( note: it does ! )

sm_chevywithhemi.jpg

The updates to be done:

Swap out the 3/8" bolts to 1/2" so that they properly fit the bosses where they attach
Modify the driver side engine plate to use the 4 original mounting holes and not the 3 hole mounting ( they're changing their design to use the 4 holes now )
Figure out how the hardware stackup will be done - and how it will best support the engine ( it's a HEMI, not a small block Chevy ! )
Cut the current bosses out of the K-member
Bolt the plates up to the Hemi - and make a "jig" to hold the "new" bosses in the proper locations for reattachment
Trim up the pieces as needed to get the new bosses to sit in the K-member with the jig spacing
Weld it in - add a little reinforcement - make sure it all works properly
Figure out what we're going to do about the powder coating we'll be messing up

Sunday ( hopefully ) Install the Hemi in the Belvedere
- this was suppose to happen Labor day Weekend . . . but I'm anxious to get it in the car !

In case you're curious WHY I'm using this fabricator . . .
He's an "engineer extraordinaire" and has build some very impressive machines from the ground up, built an airplane and flew it for 500 hours . . . his work is top notch, and I know that the results will be on the money - and as you can tell from the rest of my build, I want it "right" . . . so I'm going this route because I chose this route - nothing wrong with it being done "right"

Last edited:
Wow Kahn sounds like you've got your work cut out for you and for the money spent I'm not sure I wouldn't be letting Magnum Force fix their own mistake but I completely appreciate the time that would set you back

Don't worry too much about the powder coating any decent powder coater can blend in roughed up spots to existing . I had to drop off a set of headers for a buddy to have this done after he dinged them up a bit too fit

Good luck this weekend brother!

Wow Kahn sounds like you've got your work cut out for you and for the money spent I'm not sure I wouldn't be letting Magnum Force fix their own mistake but I completely appreciate the time that would set you back

Don't worry too much about the powder coating any decent powder coater can blend in roughed up spots to existing . I had to drop off a set of headers for a buddy to have this done after he dinged them up a bit too fit

Good luck this weekend brother!

Thanks Goon . . .

Let me fill in a little more of the details . . .

I've discussed this with Magnum Force, and I told them my reasons for doing this here EVEN THOUGH they offered to make another K-member to fit my measurements. I did tell them what the estimated cost was going to be for this repair, and they were going to discuss the cost with the owner to determine if they'd pay a part or the whole thing - I have not heard back from them about their decision yet. They may pay part or all of my costs - time will tell.

I'm trying to be fair with them, cost effective to the both of us, and get the modifications done to "my standards" so that I can get this Hemi in my car easily . . . and I looked at the cost for them with materials, time to fabricate and weld, powder coat, shipping it to me and cost to ship the k-member I have here back to them . . .

They were more than willing to do this - but I still have to change the 3/8" hardware out to 1/2" ( my decision ), and I'd have to make the jig to have them properly fit the bosses in the K-member so they would fit my engine when it showed up ! Guess what - I'm already 1/2 way into the time and fabricators expense already - so I decided to just finish it up with his expertise . . .

Remember . . . this is MY decision to go this route . . .

Good luck bud, hope to see it in there tomorrow! I'd likely do the same, even if it was their mistake it's better to use your time moving the ball forward than waiting even longer on someone else that doesn't exactly have a 67 and a Hemi to do the proper test fitting.

Good luck bud, hope to see it in there tomorrow! I'd likely do the same, even if it was their mistake it's better to use your time moving the ball forward than waiting even longer on someone else that doesn't exactly have a 67 and a Hemi to do the proper test fitting.

^^^^THIS^^^^^ If they work with you and compensate, much faster. Stand up company!

Good luck with the fab Khan .. I know you can do the work. I hope the vendor decides to compensate you :)

Modifications completed - I now have a k_member that'll hold my Hemi ! ! !

The modifications are completed by the fabricator and the K-member is now ready to have the Hemi bolted in . . .

So the basics of the mods are as follows . . . first, he designed a very elegant way to hold the motor mounts with a single jig
( initially he thought he'd have to build 2 jigs to make the mods he needed . . . )
Bolted the motor mounts to the engine, and built the jig to support them.

sm_kmembermods01.jpg

Then we he was happy with the fit, placement, plumb, and level of the motor mounts, he unbolted the motor mounts . . .

sm_kmembermods02.jpg

Then it was time to start cutting the old bosses off the Magnum Force Transformer . . . this was hard to watch . . .

sm_kmembermods03.jpg

One of the bosses has been successfully removed from the k-member . . .

sm_kmembermods04.jpg

Both bosses have been removed from the k-member . . . there's no turning back now . . .

sm_kmembermods05.jpg

Now here's the really neat part of this . . . he used the jig to position the new bosses onto the k-member ( they'll be plumb, level, and true ! )

sm_kmembermods06.jpg

Additional changes:

The original bolts were 7/16", not 3/8" and he decided to keep them, since he had to cut off the original bosses, he made new ones with 7/16" holes in them to better hold and support the motor mounts in the K-member.

Everything is back home now and ready to go into the car . . . I'm so excited . . . I'll be getting it in as soon as possible . . .

The fabricators work was TOP NOTCH - I'll be using him again if I ever need anything else done . . .

How could I forget the finished product . . .

sm_kmembermods07.jpg

Still need to get it re-powder coated . . . but for now, get the hemi in the car and get the tunnel hump figured out ! ! !

WOW! Thanks for showing what had to be done.
Everyone should have a good fabricator in there back pocket.

does he make house calls?

Agreed with everyone else! Great Job resolving that issue!

Maybe get Magnum Force to send you another K member for free to make up for it... If you don't have the space you can ship it to my address :p

Maybe get Magnum Force to send you another K member for free to make up for it... If you don't have the space you can ship it to my address :p

no no no, Dibs! haha...glad to see that thing back in shape! I have been anxiously waiting to see this thing in that Belvedere for a while now!

Also I looked at your tunnel hump there...definitely think that could be shortened down a bit but looks like it could be made to fit great. I am sure your surgery will look top notch once again.

A sight for sore eyes . . . now that's what I'm talking about . . .

It's been over 2 years since the K-member has sat in the car where it should be . . . and of course, it didn't happen without more obstacles . . . the casters that I had were in need of a little modifications to get them to work under the K-member . . . go figure . . .

So I had to notch the caster to allow the bracing of the K-member to fit into it properly . . . no big deal . . . DONE !

sm_kmembermods08.jpg

And for the first time in 2 year . . . a K-member sits in my Belvedere . . .. YAY . . .

sm_kmembermods09.jpg

And remember the driver side motor plate that only used 3 bolts ( bottom bracket ) . . . and I wanted it to use 4 bolts . . .

sm_enginemounts02.jpg

Well . . . the fabricator fixed that for me too and added an extra gusset for good measure ( after all it IS a Hemi )

sm_kmembermods10.jpg

Now guess what's next . . .

You'll see a HEMI sitting in this Belvedere ( it's a month and a half late . . . but I'l get it DONE ! )

- - - Updated - - -

Awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks . . . one step at a time . . .

- - - Updated - - -

Nicely done :) !

Thanks Tallhair . . . I appreciate the kind words !

- - - Updated - - -

Sweeeeeeeet!

Thanks 747Mopar . . . coming from you that meas a lot to me ! ! !

- - - Updated - - -

WOW! Thanks for showing what had to be done.
Everyone should have a good fabricator in there back pocket.

does he make house calls?

Don . . . he does make house calls or yuo can ship the parts to him and he'll fix them and ship them back to you . . . he's REALLY good at fixing things and making them work . . .

If anybody needs some assistance with something on their car, I'll be happy to get you in touch with him . . . you won't be disappointed ! ! !

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks Goon . . . I know you've been following my journey . . . always an obstacle ! ! !

- - - Updated - - -

no no no, Dibs! haha...glad to see that thing back in shape! I have been anxiously waiting to see this thing in that Belvedere for a while now!

Also I looked at your tunnel hump there...definitely think that could be shortened down a bit but looks like it could be made to fit great. I am sure your surgery will look top notch once again.

LMAO KB67 . . . I'll let you know what happens . . . I've still got to discuss it with them . . . as of now, I've got it DONE and I'm moving forward . . .

I don't think there will be a "free" K-member . . . but I'll keep you posted . . .

Auto Transport Service
Back