• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My 1971 Road runner

71Beeper

Local time
10:43 AM
Reaction score
Or should I say my 1971 "Clone runner".
Hello All, I've been posting on the "what did you do to your car" thread for a bit now.
I'm restoring a 1971 RR tribute car.
I have the majority of my project over on the Road Runner Nest website.
There's 24 pages worth of pics and info.
Here's a link for those of you that are interested.

http://www.roadrunnernest.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4333

Start from the beginning and work your way thru to the end. I usually post new pictures every weekend.
I'll start to do the same thing here.
Here she is in her current configuration.
July 25 (10).jpg

It's been alot of work up to this point.
So...currently I'm trying to get the Air Grabber setup painted.
I posted on the other thread that I'm not having any of the under hood components
as the Air gap intake I'm running on my small block will interfere with the under hood components.
So I've been having some painting issues concerning the Air Grabber setup.
The initial primer application went on just fine.
The satin black application not so much.
Just a note - I'm rattle can spraying this Air Grabber. So the first product I used is the Mar Hyde satin black.
Marhyde paint.JPG

When I sprayed the underside of the Air Grabber....it went on perfect!
The topside..... not so much.
Aug 6th (2).jpg
Aug 6th (1).jpg

You may be able to see the streaking.
Anyways, it may be due to the excessive humidity we have had in this area the last little while.
Did I also mention that I'm painting this outside & nowhere near the car....
icon_eek.gif

So, my neighbor, who's a body and paint guy said to try the Rustoleum 2X satin.
Rustoleum satin black.JPG

So I did.... the problem with that paint is it's too shiny like a semi gloss black, not a satin black. Not to mention every time I sprayed a coat something just had to land on the fresh paint...making me have to go back and re-sand it.

So my third attempt I thought I'd try a flat black paint.
High heat engine paint..JPG

Since the satin black was too shiny I thought maybe the flat would be just like the satin.
Well, I was wrong.
Aug 21st (18).jpg

Aug 21st (20).jpg

Not to mention the paint reacted and did this...
Aug 21st (19).jpg

Aug 21st (17).jpg

So, I'm going to wait till the humidity goes away from this area and try it again.
I'm also going to try painting it inside in my other garage attached to the house and I'll sit the Air Grabber insert vertically. Maybe I'll go back to the Mar Hyde satin black and give it another shot.

If your gonna use shaky cans try SEM Trim Black... It lays down better than any other spray bomb I've ever used...

Never liked anything Rustoleum.
Krylon! Quickest drying time and best results. In Matte or Satin.
20210821_215656.jpg

Do not despair. I'm a rattle-can guy myself.....and its all about the prep. You have to use a primer....not a 2x paint and primer. Allow 24 hrs to dry in a garage environment, then use a good satin paint. The Primer really is the key. The "stripes" you see there are due to rapid drying. You need zero air movement for these kinds of paints. They have drying agents in there that are very unforgiving. Prime, then paint for best results.

I hate to spend $70 for a qt of auto store paint but I have found it will always give the good results and be cheaper in the long run. and I always have another do. Even a pt is costly.!
Spraying anything outside in the heat.wind is a challenge.

I hate to spend $70 for a qt of auto store paint but I have found it will always give the good results and be cheaper in the long run. and I always have another do. Even a pt is costly.!
Spraying anything outside in the heat.wind is a challenge.

If the O/P is willing to pick up a spray gun...

https://www.amazon.com/SEM-39144-Tr...ck&qid=1629641229&sprefix=sem+,aps,239&sr=8-4

Or a Urethane..

https://www.amazon.com/SEM-HR010-Ho...words=sem+hot+rod+black&qid=1629641328&sr=8-1

Assuming the OP isn't a body guy. It's an undertaking to "pick up" a spray gun, have the area dedicated to painting, the compresssor (without moisture or oil in the air).
As a Non-body guy, I steer away from anything spray gun related.
There's limitations.

Assuming the OP isn't a body guy. It's an undertaking to "pick up" a spray gun, have the area dedicated to painting, the compresssor (without moisture or oil in the air).
As a Non-body guy, I steer away from anything spray gun related.
There's limitations.
I am also limited... limited by the friggin cost and total BS and aggrivation of most any body shop!!!! My work usually is not perfe:lol:ct but then gin, I am not perfect either!

Guys, if you look thru the pages of my build you'll see I'm not afraid to tackle anything.
No, I'm not a body & paint guy, but have done enough rattle can stuff on the car so far to make it look good.

BTW, I did put primer down first. I used this.
upload_2021-8-22_11-49-6.png

Here's some pics with the primer on it
August 2nd (12).jpg

August 2nd (13).jpg

I do have access to the newer HVLP gun (my neighbors) and I do have a compressor.

1 Wild R/T I clicked on the link you provided....this is what I saw.
upload_2021-8-22_11-41-31.png

So I will try the SEM rattle cans as there is a distributor not far from me.

Barbee, I hear what you're saying about painting outside....I'm gonna try something different the next time.

Guys, if you look thru the pages of my build you'll see I'm not afraid to tackle anything.
No, I'm not a body & paint guy, but have done enough rattle can stuff on the car so far to make it look good.

BTW, I did put primer down first. I used this.
View attachment 1155999
Here's some pics with the primer on it
View attachment 1156001
View attachment 1156002

I do have access to the newer HVLP gun (my neighbors) and I do have a compressor.

1 Wild R/T I clicked on the link you provided....this is what I saw.
View attachment 1155997

So I will try the SEM rattle cans as there is a distributor not far from me.

Barbee, I hear what you're saying about painting outside....I'm gonna try something different the next time.

Whereas I get...

Screen Shot 2021-08-22 at 9.49.38 AM.png

Must be a Canada thing.... Amazon discriminates against Canada....

ne is a 0.03" over 360 with a set of shaved 'J' heads (60cc chambers).
The block has been zero decked.
Rods are the Scat 'H' beams.
Cam is the Hughes solid lifter cam p/n HEH3742A.
.534 intake lift & .543 exhaust on a 237 and 242 duration.
KB107 pistons.
Compression is close to 11:1.
upload_2021-8-22_15-43-13.png

So I need to put stuff like the oil pans and other accessories before it goes to the speed shop.
So I'm prepping to put on the Kevco oil pan.
Aug 21st (8).jpg

First order of business, get the studs installed.
upload_2021-8-22_15-46-14.png

And that's it for today.....man it's too frigin hot out here....

SEM trim black or Martin Senour underwood black from NAPA. Both are available in cans here in Oregon

Liberty MW - I just picked up 2 cans of the SEM satin black from a local distributor.
This weekend it was too humid to do any painting, so I had a chance to get the oil pan on the engine.
The water pump and dipstick tube are next.
My engine is in a one car garage that's attached to the house and even it is an oven just working in there.
Aug 29th (1).jpg
Aug 29th (2).jpg
Aug 29th (6).jpg

In the meantime I got the clutch pedal/brake pedal assembly out of the attic to have a look at it.
I bought the whole setup from my buddy who was going to convert his dads Charger to a 4 speed setup. But when his dad found out he said no way, so I bought all the bits from him.
Anyway here's the setup. He took it apart and had the pieces primed.
clutch pedal assy.jpg

But the most important piece is missing - the main shaft.
So I placed an order with Brewers and my parts came in.
Aug 28 (1).jpg
Aug 28 (2).jpg
Aug 28 (3).jpg

Hopefully the weather will cool down a bit so I can get back at the Air Grabber assembly.

With the weather finally cooling down and the humidity gone I got back to painting the Air grabber setup.
I took the advice of member here and sprayed it inside.
First thing I had to do was to put the wife's Mini outside.
Sept 6th (5).jpg

Then put up some plastic to protect from overspray.
I sprayed some black primer on it but the same spot on the door reacted so I removed the door.
Sept 6th (2).jpg

Took it to the other garage to sand it down.
In the meantime I'm putting on light coats of the SEM satin black.
I cleaned up the door and put it ins its place on the assembly and am continuing with the light coats.
So far so good....fingers crossed.
Sept 6th (4).jpg

You probably should pick up some sealer for the door...... That or start off with super light coats & allow good drying time between the first couple coats so they can act as a sealer..

Looking good, just painted my Ramcharger Door today in preparation for the hood decal. Went with SEM Landau Black 15013, pretty happy with the results.

51434891871_9972a8b155_z.jpg

51434891851_7a41c69232_z.jpg

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back