• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My 1971 Road runner

The lights look great! That dash is very cool, too!! You’ll be on the road in no time.

Thanks guys, 2024 is the year.....(knock on wood).
With the car in 4x4 mode I installed a fuel filter.
20240114_120600.jpg
Jan 14th (1).jpg

The was the last thing to do from the underside of the car for now. I know the last thing still outstanding is the exhaust system, but that can wait for a bit.
In the meantime I can now get the car off of 4x4 mode and get her on her own rims and tires.
Jan 14th (2).jpg
Jan 14th (3).jpg
Jan 14th (4).jpg

Here's a couple that show the wide tires vs the skinny tires.
Jan 14th (5).jpg
Jan 14th (6).jpg

My to-do list is getting shorter.
A few items to install in the engine bay like heater hoses and fuel line to the carb.
The fan and rad and shroud of course as well as the alternator.
Then start shopping around for an X-pipe exhaust set-up.

Next up on the to do list - seat tracks.
I took them down from the attic and they look like this.
Feb 2nd (1).jpg
Feb 2nd (2).jpg
Feb 2nd (3).jpg
Feb 2nd (4).jpg
Feb 2nd (5).jpg

Had them soaking in the Evaporust for about a week to clean them up.
Then prep them for paint and shoot a coat of satin black.
Feb 3rd (1).jpg
Feb 3rd (2).jpg
Feb 3rd (3).jpg
Feb 4th (2).jpg

Feb 4th (7).jpg

Next - get the front seats down from the attic.
I acquired these seats from a guy who owns a 1971 green Satellite Sebring Plus. He said that his brother pulled them out of a car that was in a scrapyard in 1972!
They don't look bad for 53 year old seats.
Feb 4th (8).jpg

I took all the side cover hardware off.
Feb 4th (10).jpg

Then using a mini carpet steam cleaner and some shout liquid gave the seats 2 good cleanings.
Feb 13th (1).jpg
Feb 13th (2).jpg

While they were drying I had to repair one of the push buttons that was missing some hardware.
Feb 16th (1).jpg
Feb 16th (2).jpg

I really like the cloth inserts of those seats. Even thou mine just came with the vinyl only. I have been thinking of these.

Yesterday, before the seats were to go in the car, I figured I might as well pull the back cover to see what's inside......*yikes*
Feb 17th (1).jpg

Turns out both seats had mice nests in them, but they hadn't been in there in eons.
No smell or damage thank God.
So, install the seat track.
Feb 16th (4).jpg

And install the passenger seat.
Feb 16th (6).jpg
Feb 16th (7).jpg

And today finish it off with the drivers seat.
Feb 17th (2).jpg
Feb 17th (3).jpg
Feb 17th (4).jpg
Feb 17th (6).jpg
Feb 17th (7).jpg
Feb 17th (8).jpg

It's pretty amazing that when I got the car, the interior looked like this as it was a race car in it's past life.
DSCF0337.JPG
DSCF0339.JPG

So now that the interior is complete - er.. | do have one more thing to install and that is the shoulder belts, but that can wait till summer.
Time to get the brakes bled.
Since everything is new (master cylinder and new stainless brake lines) I have to bleed the master first.
So. make up some lines to loop back into the master, like so..
Feb 26th (2).jpg
Feb 26th (1).jpg

Now attach the proper lines and fill with DOT5 and start bleeding the system.
Well no sooner than I get started that I have a major FAIL!.... :mad:
My line-loc is leaking. So I figure I just need to snug up the fittings......nope, still leaks.
Now I have my clean catch can getting as much of the DOT5 as possible cause this stuff is $$$$.
So I get my eyeballs right up to the unit for a closer look - it's leaking out of the main body near the bottom.
How can that be??? the cannister is a one piece matched unit.
So I get my c-clamp and try to clamp it up to see if it stops leaking.......nope.
Here's a pic of the line-loc with c-clamp on it.
Feb 26th (3).jpg

And here - the small horizontal slot just above where the clamp is sitting is where it is leaking from...:BangHead:
Feb 26th (4).jpg

So. I'm frustrated and done for the day. Go in the house and order up another line-loc.

So today is switching out the new line-loc.
Take the fittings off and the old one off the car.
Reverse order for the new one.
So far so good.
Mar 10th (2).jpg

I topped up the master and called it a day.
I'll keep an eye out till next weekend to check for any leaks.

Auto Transport Service
Back