• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My 1978 Dodge Monaco 4 door sedan.

No worries Gary, If I do come across a needle in a haystack, I will let you know. Keep up the great work.
I am no body man, but I wonder if you used your eye bolt and attached a small come-a-long to it to try and pull the dent? That might help you get most of it out. A come-a-long is pretty cheap to buy if you don't have one.

Thanks man, I sure do appreciate that.

I thought about a come-a-long too, you are thinking the same as me....only trouble is, I don't have anything to attach the other end of the come along to, except maybe my VW Golf but with the probability of the eyebolt flying through the air and shattering my Golf's windows, I don't want to risk that. As it sits tonight, the fender is off and soon I shall attack it with much vigor and ferociousness. And a hammer.

I would have cut the end of the fender off, hammer it into shape and weld it back on.
I had a spare but I decided to mess around with a crushed 1970 Charger valance:

XH valance 1.jpg
XH valance 2.jpg

I hammered it out after cutting of at the 1/3 point.

XH Valance 7.jpg

XH Valance 8.jpg

I was able to locate a workable section from a guy on another site:
XH valance 10.JPG
XH valance 12.JPG

I prepped the original...
106.jpg
107.jpg
108.jpg

Then welded the 2 together:
109.jpg

For about $60 for the panel, I made one from two .

This thread is inspirational in a few ways.
You developed an interest as a child that has lasted through adulthood.
You left your home country to see America.
You divorced one woman and met another.
You started a business that seems to be doing well.
You have the car that you have wanted since you were but a wee little chap.
America is lucky to have you. We love stories of eager, hard working immigrants that want to improve their lives while not being a burden to others. You are to be commended.
I'll be watching this thread. It is great to see your determination and good work.

This thread is inspirational in a few ways.
You developed an interest as a child that has lasted through adulthood.
You left your home country to see America.
You divorced one woman and met another.
You started a business that seems to be doing well.
You have the car that you have wanted since you were but a wee little chap.
America is lucky to have you. We love stories of eager, hard working immigrants that want to improve their lives while not being a burden to others. You are to be commended.
I'll be watching this thread. It is great to see your determination and good work.

Wow, Kern Dog thank you! I salute you! America is my home and I am proud to be here - Neutralization is next for sure! I've read your words over and over and I am honored you wrote them. Thank you!!

With regards to your metal work - that's excellent stuff right there. Cutting the end of the fender off, straightening it and welding it back on is INSPIRED!! I am absolutely going to do that. My actual thoughts half way through that awful eyebolt extravaganza, was to cut a slit down the leading edge of the dent...but your idea is much better. I am doing that. Thank you for your insight and experience, that has saved me much musing and hardship. And swearing.

When you have a welder, the options really open up. Access is really limited to some parts of the car and sometimes you have to do drastic things to fix cars. The dent at the leading edge of that fender would be really difficult to repair with the fender in place, It is nothing like a dent over the wheel arch or at the edge near the door.
I am competent at many things but my adventurous nature leads me to step into uncharted waters....I sometimes ponder what is the best course and post up a question here. Good thing that the guys on this site can be a great resource. Eldubb440 stepped up and provided some great advice when I was starting the repairs on my '70 Charger. (Jigsaw) 1WildR/T has been great with some of the mechanical stuff I have. There have been several others that slip my mind.
Just for grins.....IF I come across a right fender for the car, I will keep you in mind. I often trip over some oddball stuff within my social circle so who knows what can happen.
Greg

When you have a welder, the options really open up. Access is really limited to some parts of the car and sometimes you have to do drastic things to fix cars. The dent at the leading edge of that fender would be really difficult to repair with the fender in place, It is nothing like a dent over the wheel arch or at the edge near the door.
I am competent at many things but my adventurous nature leads me to step into uncharted waters....I sometimes ponder what is the best course and post up a question here. Good thing that the guys on this site can be a great resource. Eldubb440 stepped up and provided some great advice when I was starting the repairs on my '70 Charger. (Jigsaw) 1WildR/T has been great with some of the mechanical stuff I have. There have been several others that slip my mind.
Just for grins.....IF I come across a right fender for the car, I will keep you in mind. I often trip over some oddball stuff within my social circle so who knows what can happen.
Greg

Cheers Greg, that's great that you would keep me in mind.

You are right, the guys on this site are a great resource - you're one of them!! I too find myself in uncharted waters...as you can see!! Just one little bit of good advice can change everything (like your advice about cutting the end off and straightening it, welding it back on) so I am grateful beyond words!

Tomorrow (Wed) is our wall wrap install, so I doubt I will get to the car...I am itching to cut the end off that fender!!!

Thanks again Greg and thanks everyone! Stay healthy and please, wear your mask over your mouth AND nose - that's like wearing a condom over one of your balls!

Gary.

This always makes me laugh...
Bro ham.jpg

Here in the States, some "Iggnent" types call this model the Bro-Ham.

Gary, Look up Wild Cat Auto Wreckers up in Oregon.All Mopar yard. They may have a fender.I've bought from them before and was well pleased.

This always makes me laugh...
View attachment 950009

Here in the States, some "Iggnent" types call this model the Bro-Ham.

Hehehe whenever I hear or read that word it reminds me of Chris Rock, he says that all the time - "iggnent"

I've always been a little "durrrr.." by the Brougham badge. Firstly pronunciation - is it "Bro-um", or "bruff-um" or even "brow (as in eyebrow) -um"??
Next, I have never seen anything on a Brougham that's not available on a standard Monaco. Mine is the exact same spec as this one, A/C, manual windows, bench seat, power brakes, full trim around the body (although I've always seen Bro-hams with a chrome strip down the hood and a Cadillac style emblem on the nose, whereas this doesn't have that, adding to my confusion) and a horrid vinyl top. The only differences I can see between this one and mine in stock form is this one has those funny little turn signals on the fenders facing the driver (because remembering to turn off your self canceling turn signals was a little too much for some), mine does not have those. Also it has an AM/FM radio, while mine has just an AM radio and one speaker. Other than that, it appears the bro-um badge is a little redundant. What's your take on that?
Also, I know Brougham appears on many other makes and models - is it supposed to be the "Lux" spec? Hmmm.. Bro-ummmmmm??

Gary, Look up Wild Cat Auto Wreckers up in Oregon.All Mopar yard. They may have a fender.I've bought from them before and was well pleased.

Darter you're awesome mate, I'm gonna reach out to them right now!!! Thank you!!!

I reached out to Wild Cat Auto Wrecking - let's see what they have. While on their website I was amazed by the inventory of project cars they stock. They have an '86 Diplomat cop car for $1400....I love Diplomats.....dang I'm like a child in a toy shop!!!!!

I reached out to Wild Cat Auto Wrecking - let's see what they have. While on their website I was amazed by the inventory of project cars they stock. They have an '86 Diplomat cop car for $1400....I love Diplomats.....dang I'm like a child in a toy shop!!!!!
Easy now cowboy - one project at a time!!!

Wait a minute - what am I saying? I don't do that myself!!! :poke:

Yesterdays job went well. I did say I'd post a sneaky off-topic photo of the work and here it is (bear in mind it's a stitched photo done as a panorama on an iphone 8

IMG_5965.JPEG

And immediately back on topic, I didn't have time to work on the car because of the graphics project.

Today, we have a couple of things going, so while my printer is running I went through all the nuts and bolts I bought/saved over the years. Looks like I will have some good fixings for when I put the fenders back on. Some nice washers and nylon nuts with these bolts should look great. That's all for today, I'm sorry it's not so exciting!!
IMG_5967.JPEG

Happy Friday everyone!! While my graphic design guy out in Texas works on our next project, I took it upon myself to get going on this fender...yeah I know, it's boring me as well.

So to keep you all interested and because it's Friday, here's the worst song ever recorded...you're welcome :-D

Now you hate me right? Hahahahaa!

Here we go with the fender.

IMG_5972.JPEG
IMG_5973.JPEG
IMG_5974.JPEG
IMG_5975.JPEG
IMG_5976.JPEG
IMG_5977.JPEG
IMG_5978.JPEG
IMG_5979.JPEG

It's definitely coming along. I wish so much there was a panel beating/metal fab course at a local college I could take. I feel I need a lot of guidance. But I've reduced the amount of filler needed to make this look good by about 75%. Lunch was nice, I'm getting back to it now.

That looks a lot better!

Thanks Greg - hey what do you think about this?

IMG_5984.JPEG

I tried to get the support triangle somewhere near how it was before but of course, it's not exact. Until I come to mount this back on, and subsequently mount the nose section to this, I'll hold off on drilling mounting holes in the new leading edge.

I worked on all the other dents too. I'm confident my filler work will be thin and nice.

I also took some sign vinyl and cut a template from the other fender, and reversed it to check my accuracy....that'll do donkey!
IMG_5986.JPEG

I have had more than enough metalwork today. It's the weekend, and I hope you guys have the best time! Be safe! G.

Auto Transport Service
Back