• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My 1978 Dodge Monaco 4 door sedan.

Great work. Without a welder, a lot of these tasks are almost impossible. I've bought and fixed up cars with multiple dent puller holes, trim holes, emblem holes...If I filled them all with Bondo, they'd eventually pop out.
THIS car had almost 70 holes to fill between outer body trim, dent puller and emblem holes including several in the engine bay.

65 AA.JPG
65 Z 1.JPG
65 Z24.JPG
Dart 1.jpg
Dart 9 F.jpg
Dart 8.jpg

Great story, well written and nice photos. Thanks for sharing this experience and congratulations on loving the magnificent internal combustion V8!

Not to mention the good taste in wanting and getting a Mopar!

Great work. Without a welder, a lot of these tasks are almost impossible. I've bought and fixed up cars with multiple dent puller holes, trim holes, emblem holes...If I filled them all with Bondo, they'd eventually pop out.
THIS car had almost 70 holes to fill between outer body trim, dent puller and emblem holes including several in the engine bay.

View attachment 950760 View attachment 950761 View attachment 950762 View attachment 950763 View attachment 950764 View attachment 950765

That looks like a great job! Welding sheet metal is something that a lot of people don't want to or can't do. I sanded bondo off of this door to find a really piss poor patch panel. I'm probably going to have to cut it out and redo the whole thing. The tacks are lousy and the backside of the patch are even worse.
DSC_0806.jpg
DSC_0839.jpg

Oooof ! That is ugly.

Oooof ! That is ugly.

If you notice, they didn't even put a bead between the tacks...the fit up is terrible which is maybe why they didn't weld it but it's a lousy job and with a pile of bondo over it and paint, no one would know.

Thanks for your kind words you guys. I also appreciate the pics and descriptions of the horrors you have found... this really makes it clear to me what is acceptable and what is not. Its been hard - as nobody has shown me any of this, I’ve just applied what I’ve read, and watched on YouTube - to decide what’s overkill, what’s about right, and what’s an absolute crock. The borders between those three stages are very blurry to me sometimes, but the more I read the more the “absolute crock” part becomes obvious - so please, if anyone sees something I’m doing, that appears as though I’ve been hit on the head really hard this time, let me know!

Great story, well written and nice photos. Thanks for sharing this experience and congratulations on loving the magnificent internal combustion V8!

Not to mention the good taste in wanting and getting a Mopar!

Thank you brother. Glad you are enjoying it. I’m gonna take a look at your posts and see your ride!!

Hi guys, I trust you are all well and had a good weekend?

Today, Monday 18th May, I have been slammed with work. All day, non stop renderings and preparation, so that's good. I did, however, stay behind after hours this evening and just do "something" to this fender.

First, I cut the rusty lower trailing edge out..
IMG_6002.JPEG

IMG_6003.JPEG

It was pretty rotten in there. The rear support had rusted away too, so I cut that out and made a new bit for it...
IMG_6005.JPEG

And welded it in.
IMG_6007.JPEG

It'll never be seen so I don't care too much about it not looking that good. That's all I have time for so I have to go. Maybe tomorrow evening I can get the big piece cut and welded in, that would be good. For now, adios! Have a good evening.

I'm sure that you already know but I wanted to suggest some type of primer back there before you weld it up. Maybe something like this:
Repair 127.jpg

Nasty bit of panel outta there. Looking good Gary. I know you are using basic tools to form the metal. From the pictures, it looks to be coming out nicely. X2 on priming the internals.

Well, I just sat here and read the entire thread and I must say - I'm impressed. :thumbsup:
Many of us have our own stories (Lord knows I do, as documented elsewhere on FBBO)
but yours is certainly unique to the bunch, Gary.
I admire your dedication and to your not letting inexperience hold you back. Good on you!
I'm subscribed to this thread now so I can keep up from here on in - and yes, as others
have advised, this is a hobby best taken in small "mini-projects" so as not to lose motivation,
enthusiasm and focus.

Thanks for documenting all this for posterity, looking forward to the next installment. :)
-Ed

Thanks Kern Dog and chargerjase - I got it! Usually I use either Cold Galvanizing Compound, Hi-Zinc Weld thru Primer, or POR15 depending on the application, and how "hidden" a certain piece will be once welded in - thanks for the reminder you guys!

:-D

Well, I just sat here and read the entire thread and I must say - I'm impressed. :thumbsup:
Many of us have our own stories (Lord knows I do, as documented elsewhere on FBBO)
but yours is certainly unique to the bunch, Gary.
I admire your dedication and to your not letting inexperience hold you back. Good on you!
I'm subscribed to this thread now so I can keep up from here on in - and yes, as others
have advised, this is a hobby best taken in small "mini-projects" so as not to lose motivation,
enthusiasm and focus.

Thanks for documenting all this for posterity, looking forward to the next installment. :)
-Ed

Hello Ed! Thank you! I'm really enjoying learning all this. Like I mentioned previously, I had a little bit of experience with Volkswagens but it seemed to be so much more laborious with those - thin metal blowing through, spectacularly priced original parts, terribly manufactured aftermarket parts (not mentioning any names EMPI) and purists sitting ready to pounce on anything not deemed correct... with this, I can learn at my own pace and I am loving that experienced guys on here like yourself have been able to add some wind to my sails - thank you!

Nice progress Gary - every little bit helps! :thumbsup:

Did not know cold galv could be used as a weld through primer.

MUCH easier to find around here.

Did not know cold galv could be used as a weld through primer.

MUCH easier to find around here.

I don't think it can. I use one of those three products I mentioned depending on the application.

For example, if a piece is going to be welded in, and the back side can't be reached because of an inner skin, I'll hit the rear with Weld Thru first, weld it in, then hit the front with cold galvanizing compound. This saves me MONEY!! Cold Galv is cheap. My Weld Thru was $40 for a rattle can of it so I am very sparing with it!!

Did I mention I am cheap? :lol:

Sorry for the misinformation YY1 :)

That'$ why I was interested.

Auto Transport Service
Back