• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My 1978 Dodge Monaco 4 door sedan.

That's why I always go for the 9$ freeze plugs.

I also learned that a freeze plug is not "just a freeze plug" either.

Three distinctly different types with one being clearly superior but that is for the freeze plug thread.

Hello fella's!

It's been a minute since I've posted. More has happened, my business went CRAZY so I've been putting in some long days. We've had a lot of work coming out of St George, Utah AGAIN...so much so, we are contemplating relocating there. Last weekend we had a job there so as before we went mountain biking and had a fantastic time. While out on the trails, we saw two trail builders out grooming (we love trail builders) the trails and it just so happened that they were driving this little beauty...
IMG_5761.JPEG

I know I'm super off-topic but that's a little Dodge!! ^^^
And here's a Cordoba (Ithink, please correct me if I'm wrong)....
IMG_5807.JPEG

Today, Saturday 9th May I finally got some time for the car. Well, I made some time after riding my local trail...
IMG_5860.JPEG

GET BACK ON TOPIC!!!!!!!!!!

Ok, so I cut another piece for my lower quarter... and narrowly escape decapitation from a DeWalt cutting wheel!
IMG_5863.JPEG

The other bit flew off outside the shop. It's saturday evening so nobody is around and I'm glad. That went boom for sure.

Using my tried and tested technique, I scored the metal with a knife, and began shaping it with pliers and a hammer and dolly.
IMG_5870.JPEG

It was then, that I realized...DOHHHH!!! Same dang thing as the other side!!! I can't weld this in, without applying weld thru primer to the back side of it. Jeez...even monkeys can learn from their mistakes....

I coated the new piece with weld thru, and ground down some more of the trim holes. I used my little Harbor Freight palm sander with some 180 grit and I stumbled upon a way to be able to see that body line more prominently, using said palm sander and stopping at the ridge gave me a defined edge where gloss and matte meet... This really helped to fathom what needs to happen with filler and that body line. Excellent.
IMG_5871.JPEG

I then cried into my coveralls when I moved forward and remembered the area on my front fenders also known as Dent City, Utah. Booooo
IMG_5872.JPEG

I have to figure out how to remove the front fenders. They need a lot of love in Hammer and Dolly form. Also some welding. I became despondent, so I posted on here, and I think I'm going to go and do another mountain bike ride. Sunday, I'll get busy with the car.

Not very exciting I'm sorry, but tomorrow will be better! Cheers! Stay Safe!

Hey, it's exciting you have work and are getting paid - that's good news! That work will help fund work on the car!

I admire your bodywork progress even with very basic hand tools. This is great reminder to folks (me included) that most of what we need to get work done on our car is the determination to get it done. Then dive in!!!

Front fender removal is pretty basic. Assuming your fenders are like my Road Runner (I think the design will be very similar), do as follows: There are a row of bolts just under the hood line on the top of the fender. Also note the two side by side that have slots for adjustment.
IMG_4355.JPG

Furthest back there is a nut. Take note of the shims under the fender here, as this is what is used to put the back of the fender into proper location height wise. Here is my Road Runner (driver's side) with the fender off.
IMG_1561.JPG

There are also two nuts at the bottom of the fender behind the front wheel. These also have shims to shim out the bottom of the fender and align it with the door. Again, take note of the shims here.
IMG_1540.JPG

Your car may have a bolt on the edge of the wheel well:
IMG_1541.JPG

Finally, you have some at the front of the car behind the grill near the radiator support. These are also slotted and allow the front of the fender to move either towards the center of the car or outwards for alignment with the hood.

I'm sure I missed a few details, but the above are the basics. Take careful note of the alignment (take pictures of each bolt that adjusts the fender too) so you can get everything aligned easily again. When I had to reinstall both fenders and hood, it was actually a lot of work to get all the body lines to line back up!

Good Luck!

Hawk

Hawk, you Sir are a legend. I think there are some similarities and you've given me some places to look see - thank you for taking the time to post those pictures and write the descriptions, I sure do appreciate that! Progress on removing fenders will come with gratitude and pictures too - cheers!!

I finally welded in that dang lower quarter this afternoon...
IMG_5883.JPEG

IMG_5884.JPEG

It doesn't look half-bad considering.

I rolled the car outside, so that I could sweep the shop, but also so I could power through some sanding - grinding off the remaining trim pins, and taking some 180 grit to the rocker panels, without covering my shop in car shizz. I also welded up the last of the trim holes on the car, but left the fenders, because I'm taking them off and will do that then. Here she is as she sits today...
IMG_5885.JPEG

IMG_5886.JPEG

IMG_5888.JPEG

IMG_5889.JPEG

I'm trying as hard as I can to look at the car in "small manageable pieces" - although the last four photos would not suggest anything like that. But I decided I need to finish the metal work on the driver door and passenger door, before I get to filler work. That way, I'm sitting at the same point on the car, albeit from the doors back (fenders are so bad it's almost a totally different project).

So the passenger side door crease was tackled.
IMG_5890.JPEG

I've seen this done on the internet (yes, I'm a YouTube Certified Body Guy now), so I thought I'd give it a try...
IMG_5894.JPEG

Pulling, hammering around the edge of the low spot...using the stud welder to heat the middle up (I don't have a torch in my shop) pulling, hammering.... it sort of started working. I took the door card off earlier and swore at the car, because behind the outer door skin are a couple of huge cross members - right where the dolly needs to sit.
IMG_5897.JPEG

I tried everything to get my dolly in there, but all I succeeded in doing was to lacerate my hand on the window regulator sprocket. Thanks, car.

So I got out my "Redneck Engineering" book and here's a pic of what I used to get behind that crossmember..
IMG_5899.JPEG

Did it work? Well, yes. My low spots were considerably lower, to the point where 1/2" of filler is not required. I was happy with the results.

Last edited:
IMG_5900.JPEG

So, this isn't too bad. I have my eyes firmly fixed on that horizontal body line, for I know that if I jack that up, the whole door, and therefor the whole car is going to look decidedly amateur and done by an Englishman with no idea.....ummm...I mean....done by someone with no idea. But I think with a skim of filler, it'll look alright.
IMG_5901.JPEG

That's it for today. I put a good 5 hrs in and it felt like I only did 5 mins of actual work, even though I wasn't interrupted once. Progress is progress though, as you guys have said. Cheers!!

Hey, it's exciting you have work and are getting paid - that's good news! That work will help fund work on the car!

I admire your bodywork progress even with very basic hand tools. This is great reminder to folks (me included) that most of what we need to get work done on our car is the determination to get it done. Then dive in!!!

Thanks again Hawk, I am very appreciative of your positive comments, and it really helps to give me motivation to keep going.

In comparison, posting this level of beginners work in the classic VW scene (my old flames all come from there), would result in a multitude of negative posts, slamming me for this, and that, and "Oh you idiot you should have done it like this" and a bunch of horrible comments from a bunch of internet tough guys who ultimately wrote a check for the work on their cars. I have to thank you, and everyone else who has read this little thread, for the positivity. This scene has many fantastic and helpful people around (I'm sure there are some hateful purists somewhere but they stay hidden and for that I'm grateful) - I sure do hope to be able to help someone with what I've learned in the future. Thanks again!

I find it hard to get going some days too. In the evenings, I watch videos of restorations, and barn finds, and tutorials on whatever I can find that relate to this Monaco project, and by the end of the evening I'm chomping at the bit to get going - however, morning comes and it's like I have lead boots on....I really do find that just doing one thing really helps combat that. Looking at the whole project always overwhelms me, so I pretend it's not happening, and I'll find something little to tackle Like, for example, that rattle coming from the rear that you hear while driving, or glueing the rear view mirror back on the windshield - 90% of the time, starting on something very little and menial such as those examples, will cascade across the project and before you know it, you're elbow deep in engine oil or filler (hopefully not at the same time), and you've taken a chunk out of the project. The other 10% of the time I sit and stare at it, like THAT'S going to make things move forward! :-D

Doesn't work for everyone of course, but it works for me.

Looking at the whole project always overwhelms me...

I'll find something little to tackle Like, for example, that rattle coming from the rear that you hear while driving, or glueing the rear view mirror back on the windshield...

...before you know it... you've taken a chunk out of the project.

I deleted some text, but that right there, in my opinion, is how you tackle a large project. I have drug my poor wife out several times to show her some part I have fixed or painted. "Isn't it great?!?" She politely tells me it looks fantastic, then asks me what the heck it is.

But celebrating the small successes and progress are the way to keep things moving forward!

Keep up the good work!

Gary, I can't tell you how many times I've gone to the shop,turned on the lights and then just stood there..
After a few minutes tuned the lights back off saying to myself "Not today".....

Happy Monday 11th May. I am sending you all good vibes and I'm hoping you are all safe and well.

I had a mega day at the shop, there's a cool wall wrap coming up on Wednesday and it's all ready to go (I'll post an off-topic sneaky picture when it's done)

At 5pm, I decided to tackle the other dent in the driver door. I wish I hadn't started it...

IMG_5917.JPEG

It looks like it has a "bow wave" and it's deep. Urgghhhh

IMG_5918.JPEG

I used a metal ruler to see what the heck was happening. It gave me a better understanding of where the lowest spots were.
IMG_5920.JPEG

It looks like a disaster and indeed, it felt like one...but eventually I pulled it out enough to think "filler can do the rest of this crap". A quick coat of zinc galv compound and that'll do.
IMG_5922.JPEG

I'll weld up that little hole and do a nice job with the filler. The dent was originally very deep, maybe 1/4" deep at its lowest point. I know this looks like a dogs breakfast but its a little better in reality and I'm confident I don't need to mess with it too much more - unless I separate the door skins, and let me tell you, there's more chance of me having dinner with Marilyn Monroe than me separating door skins!!

It was then, I felt like doing something completely different. I've had it with bodywork, I need to put it down, just for a minute.

As you may remember in earlier pictures, someone before me decided to drive the Monaco into stuff - kinda like those old cop shows I was talking about at the beginning of this thread...y'know, where the perp and the cop car ultimately end up driving down an alley, crashing through randomly placed cardboard boxes and fruit & vegetable stands that have absolutely no place in aforementioned alley... well, someone in Salt Lake City would have been witness to a Wedgewood Blue '78 Dodge Monaco destroying something fairly hefty. The driver even managed to hit something with such accuracy, that it went in between the fiberglass nose section, and the fender, turning the fender into the dentyest dent ridden dent-fest I've ever seen.

The fender needs serious love and the nose section was broken pretty good. I have all the pieces and the headlight bezels, it's just a question of fiber glass repair....so for some ungodly reason, I decided the nose section must come off. (I have a feeling this is going to be a bit of a 'mare)

It was.

Firstly, I took out the turn signals..
IMG_5923.JPEG

The lenses (no longer available) are held in with those two screws, and the housing is held in by two screws up top, just barely visible. One was completely frozen so removing that took 20 mins with a drill at an awkward angle so I didn't marr the chrome with the chuck of the drill.

Then, after four of the same type bolts as on the rear bumper, I removed the front bumper - not without accepting seventeen tonnes of crap into my eyes, even with my glasses on.
IMG_5925.JPEG

There's a lot of this rubber/plastic splash guard stuff missing under here, I'll have to make my own I guess.

Then, I nervously removed the grille, which was held in by seven screws. It should be held in with eight, but of course, one was missing.
IMG_5926.JPEG

IMG_5928.JPEG

IMG_5929.JPEG

The grille is in excellent shape, just needs a tidy up and repainting of the fake chrome - does anyone have any recommendations on chrome paint?
This grille is not available anywhere. I've seen one for sale on the facebook page I frequent for these cars, but it was in North Carolina. One for sale. One. Why do I do this....

It was then, that the nightmare began. removing this nose section. Chrysler hid all the nuts deep inside recesses between inner fenders and the nose cone itself. The fiberglass nose section has six threaded rods protruding from it, which are slid into six mounting holes and backed with a stupid thin sort-of-nut that feels like it's made of tin. On the passenger side the only reason I actually removed that side is because it's mostly destroyed and there are holes everywhere. It was still a bear though.
IMG_5932.JPEG

The driver side was a little less horrific, once I had removed the plastic duct work for the air intake to the carb...it allowed me to remove the weird nuts, this time, with only minor cuts and bruises. Some pretty good swear word combo's too. Eventually, the dang thing came off
IMG_5936.JPEG
Now you can see, on that passenger side, the damage to the fender. Just how in all pluperfect Hell did an object get into that gap and make that much of a bend in the leading edge of the fender?? It blows my mind. It also annoys me because I have to fix that shizz now. No fenders available either.

Here's the nose section. All in all, a despicable job this evening to remove this. Of course, there's no "find another one" of these, I have to repair it. Which I am really looking forward to. Yeah, right.

IMG_5937.JPEG

This is not my finest hour. This picture gives me anxiety. I am grateful, at times like these, that I have taken about forty seven million pictures so I know how it all goes back together again. it still gives me anxiety though. I hope I can make that fender look ok.
IMG_5938.JPEG

So, that was 3.5hrs worth. An absolute bastard of a job, made a little easier by my nice clean organized shop. If I was working how I used to work (in total chaos) I think I'd be crying this evening. Instead, I feel grateful I have my health, and I have the car I have wanted for so many years. Tonight I hate it. But then, I love it as well. It's not its fault that it was built in Detroit, in the winter, with no regard for rust proofing, or indeed much quality control. It's not its fault that the Chrysler corporation couldn't cobble one decent engineering degree between the lot of them. And it's not its fault that it's now my car...but I hope with a little persistence and some better parts, that it'll live again soon. Cheers!
IMG_5940.JPEG

Gary, I can't tell you how many times I've gone to the shop,turned on the lights and then just stood there..
After a few minutes tuned the lights back off saying to myself "Not today".....

Darter, I am SOOO glad it's not just me :)

Nice work! Cool Monaco. Saturday's post #83 - where's the guard for your grinder? :D I have removed them myself on occasion, but I always put them back on. One wrong move and this hobby would be less fun.

...I removed the front bumper - not without accepting seventeen tonnes of crap into my eyes, even with my glasses on.
That's a basic lesson - safety glasses are magically permeable to dust, rust and dirt! Happens to me all the time! :lol:

The grille is in excellent shape, just needs a tidy up and repainting of the fake chrome - does anyone have any recommendations on chrome paint?
You are fortunate that the grille is nice - paint is easy, fixing broken stuff is not! I have used various chrome type paints with at best, marginal success, but then again, I suck at painting. Bottom line is I can't necessarily recommend a good one, perhaps someone else can. That masking job will be a bitch though!

... this time, with only minor cuts and bruises. Some pretty good swear word combo's too. Eventually, the dang thing came off
Haha. Still basic stuff. Wait until you make up NEW swear words - then you're in the thick of it!!! :rofl:

This is not my finest hour. This picture gives me anxiety. I am grateful, at times like these, that I have taken about forty seven million pictures so I know how it all goes back together again. it still gives me anxiety though. I hope I can make that fender look ok.
You'll do great. Just take it one step at a time. I remember being there too, and thinking: Oh my god, what have I done?!?
I went from this:
IMG_1976.JPG

To this.
D18_DSC_0001.JPG

If I can do it, anyone can!

Gary, your honesty and humility are what keeps this thread real and so enjoyable for the rest of us who have walked in your shoes.

Nice work! Cool Monaco. Saturday's post #83 - where's the guard for your grinder? :D I have removed them myself on occasion, but I always put them back on. One wrong move and this hobby would be less fun.

Oh I totally agree with you. I am looking into maybe a sawzall or something else not quite as potentially lethal. With a guard on, I can't see what I'm doing, and in the past, moving my head and body around to try and see what I'm doing, has resulted in broken wheels and other assorted scariness - so the lesser of two evils is keeping the guard off.

Haha. Still basic stuff. Wait until you make up NEW swear words - then you're in the thick of it!!! :rofl:

Oh man, you're so right. I came out with some ten pointers yesterday! Something to do with the cars mother being an effing lady of the night, and something else about the car being inbred and married to its sister...I mean, really? Projects push us into comedy gold without us knowing!

Gary, your honesty and humility are what keeps this thread real and so enjoyable for the rest of us who have walked in your shoes.

Thank you Greg - real is good, honesty is good - I'm very glad this thread is enjoyable!

I had a quick look around the internet for a fender Gary. I am sure you have exhausted all of the searches yourself anyway. You are right, not a lot out there for these cars. Looks like fixing it is you only option unless you get lucky somewhere. Good luck and I look forward to seeing you take that on.

Now that my car knows who's boss, I decided to get heavy on this irritating dent on the front fender. What I really wanted to do was hit it, with a ten pound mallet. A lot. But what I actually did was try and use what bits'n'bobs I had laying around to make a bracket - this is the mounting plate from the rear bumper, that fits inside the fender, with some bolts to somehow pull the dent out.

IMG_5951.JPEG

IMG_5952.JPEG

Yeah, that didn't work. The bolts didn't have enough on them for a hammer to catch a good "whack" with.

So I found this eyebolt, and put that in, with the plate still inside the fender...

IMG_5953.JPEG

This sort of worked. I put my pickle fork through the hole and got "medieval" with it...
IMG_5955.JPEG

Mostly, I made a lot of noise and the shock waves through my hands were a feeling to behold - the dent did start to come out a little but really, it was a spectacular amount of ft/lbs for almost zero accomplishment...so I stopped and thought some more.

I have a stud puller. Somehow if I can unscrew the end part, and feed the threaded part inside the fender and bolt it up....no no no, this is getting too complicated...

IMG_5954.JPEG

As before, I loudly enlightened the car that it's mother was a rather unkept lady of the night and that if it messes with me again, it is going to see the business end of a crusher.

The fender has to come off. Eurghhh... IMG_5956.JPEG

With a skeptical idea about the next two hours being "fun" I began snapping off old bolts...I mean, removing bolts.

IMG_5957.JPEG

It wasn't long before the fender started to move east, highlighting yet again, Chrysler's incessant need to put awkward bolts in awkward places and over-engineer stuff when it's not that necessary - I tell you what, there will be a few ounces less weight when these go back on, I am NOT using that many bolts!

With some tugging and pulling that looked and sounded very similar to the "Rhino Birth" scene in Ace Ventura Pet Detective 2, the fender came off. Hundreds of thousands of pounds of rust fell to the floor as well, but generally it wasn't too bad under here.

IMG_5958.JPEG

Here's the fender. The horrible, nasty ugly, putrid fender.
IMG_5959.JPEG

IMG_5960.JPEG

As you all know, I have my work cut out. I have to fix this...

I had a quick look around the internet for a fender Gary. I am sure you have exhausted all of the searches yourself anyway. You are right, not a lot out there for these cars. Looks like fixing it is you only option unless you get lucky somewhere. Good luck and I look forward to seeing you take that on.

Thanks for taking the time to search Jase, I really appreciate that. Yes, parts for these are like hens teeth. Or that suitcase full of money just laying at the side of the road, which we all think is a real thing... I am hoping one day, someone will start pressing these but how would they? The old tooling is long gone. It's crazy to think these cars were ten-a-penny thirty years ago, but today, nada, zip, nothing, f-all. One would expect rarity to correlate to value but of course, I picked the rarest cheapest car in the world to be enthusiastic about. Ahh well, it's not about money, it's about the car, which I love. I can't wait to drive it again......in a Galaxy far far away...

So I bought some wire brush attachments for my drill, and went crazy on all the surface rust in this area. I then doused the whole lot in Rustoleum (I'm saving my expensive POR15 for more vital areas) which will stop the corrosion and tidy it up a lot. So the end of Tuesday 12th May 2020, here she is.
IMG_5962.JPEG

Now if only the other side looked like that, and the fenders were straight, and I had all my filler work done and primed and the car was painted and the seats were reupholstered and the carpet was in and I found that 440/727 and installed it and.......

No worries Gary, If I do come across a needle in a haystack, I will let you know. Keep up the great work.
I am no body man, but I wonder if you used your eye bolt and attached a small come-a-long to it to try and pull the dent? That might help you get most of it out. A come-a-long is pretty cheap to buy if you don't have one.

Auto Transport Service
Back