• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My 1978 Dodge Monaco 4 door sedan.

Well done Gary. I've been watching your progress and your frustrations. The best part is you have had huge help from some great members on here and you have persevered. It fantastic to see you get a positive result. I cant wait for the first drive video with everything functioning as it should. Congrats.

Thanks man! It sure has been a SLOG but this weekend has felt good. Thanks again brother!

More below!

So this morning was unusually warm. I cranked up the afterburner and after maybe five minutes it was too hot in the garage so off came the hat and big coat, and up went the Monaco - on one side mind you, didn't really need to lift the whole car for this kickdown cable install...

IMG_2230.jpeg

Poked my head under the car, and spotted the end of the kickdown linkage/rod. The factory one is attached to this arm on the trans here...
IMG_2231.jpeg

Alarmingly, I pulled that split pin out and it practically fell out of the engine bay. Here it is...
IMG_2232.jpeg

Bye bye factory kickdown rod *waves*

Today was strange. Not only was it unusually warm, but a man (me) actually opened some instructions, and even stranger, actually read them!
IMG_2234.jpeg

After reading the thrilling instructions (definitely not translated from Chinese, for a change!) I removed all the stuff being careful to lay it out as it came off the cable.
IMG_2233.jpeg

Lokar tell you to install the braided sheath first, and after pissing with this for a while too long, I understood why. The cable bolts up to the trans arm, and does a 180 around the back of the trans and up to the carb - I was so confused up to this point as to how the throttle linkage would move the kickdown cable the correct way....then when I routed it around the back of the trans, doh!!! it all made sense to me. Thanks Lokar.

The bracket sits under the factory lower left tailhousing bolt on the trans, as you can see here...
IMG_2237.jpeg

IMG_2238.jpeg

Occasionally I will have a good idea. Maybe once or twice a year. Today, I decided to tape off the end of the braided sheath so it wouldn't gather a bunch of grime as I slid it into place. Glad I did, it's messy down there...
IMG_2235.jpeg

And that was that - waiting for the bracket that clamps this and the new throttle cable in place, to be delivered. But I thought I'd try and replicate it and see.

You can see way down there, the trans arm is moving smoothly. Excellent!

Then I went inside for some lunch. I threw on the Hunter box set, random series, random episode. Turns out he's driving a B Body Fury in this episode. I would totally rock that car as a daily, in the snow and everything!
69188143863__5D772B3F-D607-4DAF-9DFB-575A3B43AEA4.jpeg

After lunch, I couldn't help myself...I had to start the car. I had some confusion with the electric choke, so last night I watched and read, and before I made this video, adjusted it as I saw fit. So here's a little cold start video for you...

I'm so happy. This has really been a long road these last few months - I certainly don't want to sound like a spoiled westerner, so forgive me if I do, but what a total crock. Hindsight is beautiful isn't it? Yup, should have just done this in the first place.

You live and learn!

You guys all rock!!!!

I have struggled with this stuff too.
One common situation that I encounter is where I do some project that I have limited experience and when I run into trouble, I don't know if the blame lies with my lack of knowledge or the old/used/defective parts I have.
I mostly self learned how to weld, do bodywork and paint. I had Auto Shop in High School where we covered the basics but that was it. I just jumped into projects, screwed stuff up and tried to find my way through. If you've read my threads on this forum, you have seen me get some really good advice that set me straight. I appreciate the input that is offered by the members as you do. It is great to be able to learn and improve.

Absolutely the same here - nobody ever taught me nothin....except you fine fellows here on this forum. It's invaluable to me, and you're all polite and not rolling your eyes and stuff. Brilliant.

Dunno about anyone else, but I get a kick out of watching someone else learn the ways of the Mopar. :)
A couple quick items, if I may Gary:
a. Does the primary butterfly on the carb wind up straight up and down vertical ("wide open") once the engine is
thoroughly warmed up?
b. You might want to secure that gasket on top of the carb (air cleaner seal) before that rascal accidentally
ingests it next time you goose the throttle. :thumbsup:

I'm very proud of you not giving up on this car - and doing the "death to lean burn" dance as well!

Dunno about anyone else, but I get a kick out of watching someone else learn the ways of the Mopar. :)
A couple quick items, if I may Gary:
a. Does the primary butterfly on the carb wind up straight up and down vertical ("wide open") once the engine is
thoroughly warmed up?
b. You might want to secure that gasket on top of the carb (air cleaner seal) before that rascal accidentally
ingests it next time you goose the throttle. :thumbsup:

I'm very proud of you not giving up on this car - and doing the "death to lean burn" dance as well!

Thank you mate, I appreciate that!

And yes of course, please critique and add your knowledge!

a)It sure does! :)
b) Two tiny dabs of grey rtv just to stop exactly that already in place my dude - I had visions of it being gobbled up at high revs hahahaha

Thanks again man, I am practicing my "Death To Lean Burn" dance right now!! :-D I'm shakin' my butt!

Looking forward to hearing the results of your first good test drive once everything is in place and adjusted. You have done well sir!

@Greg Ducato thank you brother! It does feel good, I must admit.

I am now waiting for the bracket to be delivered.....tick....tock....tic.....tock...

So this morning was unusually warm. I cranked up the afterburner and after maybe five minutes it was too hot in the garage so off came the hat and big coat, and up went the Monaco - on one side mind you, didn't really need to lift the whole car for this kickdown cable install...

View attachment 1382713

Poked my head under the car, and spotted the end of the kickdown linkage/rod. The factory one is attached to this arm on the trans here...
View attachment 1382712
Alarmingly, I pulled that split pin out and it practically fell out of the engine bay. Here it is...
View attachment 1382711
Bye bye factory kickdown rod *waves*

Today was strange. Not only was it unusually warm, but a man (me) actually opened some instructions, and even stranger, actually read them!
View attachment 1382709

After reading the thrilling instructions (definitely not translated from Chinese, for a change!) I removed all the stuff being careful to lay it out as it came off the cable.
View attachment 1382710

Lokar tell you to install the braided sheath first, and after pissing with this for a while too long, I understood why. The cable bolts up to the trans arm, and does a 180 around the back of the trans and up to the carb - I was so confused up to this point as to how the throttle linkage would move the kickdown cable the correct way....then when I routed it around the back of the trans, doh!!! it all made sense to me. Thanks Lokar.

The bracket sits under the factory lower left tailhousing bolt on the trans, as you can see here...
View attachment 1382707
View attachment 1382706

Occasionally I will have a good idea. Maybe once or twice a year. Today, I decided to tape off the end of the braided sheath so it wouldn't gather a bunch of grime as I slid it into place. Glad I did, it's messy down there...
View attachment 1382708

And that was that - waiting for the bracket that clamps this and the new throttle cable in place, to be delivered. But I thought I'd try and replicate it and see.

You can see way down there, the trans arm is moving smoothly. Excellent!

Then I went inside for some lunch. I threw on the Hunter box set, random series, random episode. Turns out he's driving a B Body Fury in this episode. I would totally rock that car as a daily, in the snow and everything!
View attachment 1382705

After lunch, I couldn't help myself...I had to start the car. I had some confusion with the electric choke, so last night I watched and read, and before I made this video, adjusted it as I saw fit. So here's a little cold start video for you...

I'm so happy. This has really been a long road these last few months - I certainly don't want to sound like a spoiled westerner, so forgive me if I do, but what a total crock. Hindsight is beautiful isn't it? Yup, should have just done this in the first place.

You live and learn!

You guys all rock!!!!

What's the bracket you are waiting for?

Sweet. Lokar makes some really nice stuff but they're awful proud of it.

You’re not wrong!! $115 for a small bracket is a lot of money but since I’ve had the cable sets, they really are very nice indeed. I’m not used to nice stuff

7th December around 6:30pm saw the arrival of the bracket I've been waiting for! Yesssss!!!

IMG_2258.jpeg

So I ran out to the garage, cranked on the heater, and got to installing it....not before spending the time to read the instructions (which were very good across the board with Lokar, I must say)

This bracket is a nice piece, and is very light, has barely any weight to it at all. It is installed using the rear carburetor mounting bolts, and has about 1/2" lateral adjustment...
IMG_2261.jpeg

After measuring the length of the throttle sheath (keeping an extra 1-2" bend for "engine movement"), I was then faced with the task of chopping the black rubber and aluminum sheath cleanly.
IMG_2263.jpeg

BUT FIRST, slide the cable all the way out, into the footwell, because we don't want to cut that off at all...
IMG_2264.jpeg

I remembered I had various metal snips, so I tried a little piece off the end of the sheath. They were all dull. Then I remembered in my drawer labeled "Big *** Stuff", I had these...
IMG_2268.jpeg

Those big old Bertha's made quick work of that, and the end of the sheath could be slotted into the bracket clamp thingy...
IMG_2269.jpeg

I then tied up the end of the cable with the awesome Lokar cable pieces, and had to make a few marks on the cable to see if I'm getting full throttle, and idle settings on the cable, from stomping on the gas pedal. Of course, I couldn't tell what was going on being in the car standing on the pedal, so I wedged my phone in there, and did a little video so I could see what was happening.

That looks perfect to me. I have full throttle and idle position, and the pedal feels much stronger too, due to the carb springs and the springs Lokar supply in the kit. Excellent!

Then the same thing had to be done to the kickdown cable - except I didn't have to chop off some of the braided sheath. Once put together, I got it to where it operated like this...

Now, I am fully aware that a test drive is very much needed, to really get the shift times dialed in. So I started her up, she started instantly (probably due to all the fuel in the bowls from me messing with the throttle arm) and sat there quite happily, but alas as the garage door drew open I was faced with this...
IMG_2273.jpeg

This^^^^ was not happening an hour ago when I first went out to the garage. There's no way in all of pluperfect hell I'm taking a rear wheel drive 4000lb sedan out in this - so the test drive will have to wait until tomorrow. An hour later and it's still hammering it down. Oh Utah...how I kind of hate you a little bit...

Well fella's that's it for this evening, a test drive and some tiny adjustments away from driving my car. Actually driving my car!!!! What? No I don't believe it!!

Thanks you guys

G

IMG_2272.jpeg

IMG_2262.jpeg
IMG_2259.jpeg

Last edited:
I think you will find it relatively easy to adjust either the throttle cable or kick down cable right at the carburetor now. Having the kick down cable pull from the back of the transmission and a more direct line that moves with the throttle position takes all the slack out and no binding or other interference. I put a spring on the forward end of the shift lever to make sure the are returns properly. This replaces the spring at the throttle end .
Your well on your way to some smile time behind the wheel.

2AF5415B-3C20-4E73-BF28-F40F6BFEFE50.jpeg

DE0D71D1-0FBA-4C39-8618-3843CF48D801.jpeg

D9B513E6-46BD-497B-B905-E561B4D4DBB3.jpeg

3A62D0F9-D019-43B4-8E3D-3D2D234DF2E1.jpeg

I think you will find it relatively easy to adjust either the throttle cable or kick down cable right at the carburetor now. Having the kick down cable pull from the back of the transmission and a more direct line that moves with the throttle position takes all the slack out and no binding or other interference. I put a spring on the forward end of the shift lever to make sure the are returns properly. This replaces the spring at the throttle end .
Your well on your way to some smile time behind the wheel.

View attachment 1384353

View attachment 1384354

View attachment 1384355

View attachment 1384356
@64fury74charger that's great information thank you! I like the idea of a spring down at the transmission arm. I'll probably do that as well.

Unfortunately I have to postpone the test drive until Friday afternoon now, as Interstate 15 (my only route to work that doesn't involve an extra 20 mile detour) is closed. It's 11:20am now and the UDOT website states two lanes now open - but basically I'm stuck at home, and have to go to work, stay late, miss out on a test drive dang it!! :-(

Today was stupid. Twice I went out to drive to work, and twice I had to turn round and come back...this is why...
69221176054__76A38228-000D-43E6-A37D-18D013DE98EC.jpeg

2000 gallons of oil across the freeway, and this part of the Wasatch Front just doesn't have the infrastructure to cope when a main freeway is closed....oh dang it I have to stay at home!

So...
IMG_2282.jpeg

I changed out one of the heater core hoses which was leaking. The dufus at the parts store gave me the wrong size, but I'm just as much of a putz for not checking. I made it work though...
IMG_2283.jpeg

I had to finally do this job...
IMG_2284.jpeg
IMG_2285.jpeg
IMG_2286.jpeg

And this...
IMG_2287.jpeg

IMG_2289.jpeg

Then, I started the car and drove around on the gravel outside my house, which is by no means a test drive - it was still wet on the road and it was super busy - but what I did find out is the trans cable IS NO WHERE NEAR adjusted right. Felt like it stayed in first. Throttle cable feels a little too stiff, for my liking.

Proper test drive tomorrow on an actual road.

I didn't get paid today which is annoying, but I'll push to have the car driving real good Friday/Saturday!

IMG_2290.jpeg

Hi everyone hope you are all doing well.

Sat 10th Dec '22 tomorrow, first thing in the morning, I'm going to attempt to adjust this kickdown cable. I've read so much and watched so many videos I almost gave up, until I read this article here...
The LowDown On Stock Torqueflite Kick-Down Linkage

...in particular this paragraph which makes complete sense...
IMG_2300.jpeg

Seems simple enough right? As @64fury74charger says above, a spring on the trans lever helps too.

I am hoping for a dry day, and a successful adjustment and road test before the England v France game at 12pm...eeeek!

Wish me luck!

Hi everyone hope you are all doing well.

Sat 10th Dec '22 tomorrow, first thing in the morning, I'm going to attempt to adjust this kickdown cable. I've read so much and watched so many videos I almost gave up, until I read this article here...
The LowDown On Stock Torqueflite Kick-Down Linkage

...in particular this paragraph which makes complete sense...
View attachment 1385204
Seems simple enough right? As @64fury74charger says above, a spring on the trans lever helps too.

I am hoping for a dry day, and a successful adjustment and road test before the England v France game at 12pm...eeeek!

Wish me luck!

The tricky part for me was finding that sweet spot for the lever at idle position. The other part is adjusting the cable so this lever is almost fully back, but not quite bottomed out. This gets less frustrating with practice. I had to make very small adjustments then test drive numerous times.
The other important thing is to measure the travel of both cables through wot and the amounts of travel should be very close. In other words the throttle cable pulls the kick down cable the same distance. This should be in the lokar directions that you have.
This last part confused me at first, but once I looked at the whole system it made sense. The cable set up is great for very small length adjustments. I hope this helps you get this dialed in. Looking forward to seeing your updates.

Auto Transport Service
Back