• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My 1978 Dodge Monaco 4 door sedan.

Hi fella's.

I wanted to do something simple today, so I removed those awful sounding buzzers from the interior, which has been driving me mad for years now.

I disabled mine too.
* Key in ignition buzzer....
The one when you turn the key was likely the Seat Belt warning buzzer.
Yeah....annoying but a little bit charming when an old car still has them functioning.

I disabled mine too.
* Key in ignition buzzer....
The one when you turn the key was likely the Seat Belt warning buzzer.
Yeah....annoying but a little bit charming when an old car still has them functioning.
Easy fix! Fasten your seat belt and take your keys with you when uou get out of the car!

Now, let's see how long before you lock your keys in your car! Lol.
That stuff doesn't bother me, I like when it works on an old car.

It is sorta neat when you discover they still work in an old car....the first few times, anyways.
Gary now knows all he has to do to restore that grating sound is to plug the buzzers back in,
so if he wants a nostalgic kick (or a bit of a seizure like in his video), it's easy peasy. :)

It is sorta neat when you discover they still work in an old car....the first few times, anyways.
Gary now knows all he has to do to restore that grating sound is to plug the buzzers back in,
so if he wants a nostalgic kick (or a bit of a seizure like in his video), it's easy peasy. :)
Precisely Ed!

I don't know why my particular cars buzzers are so loud and obnoxious - I've never known anything so brutal to the ear upon entering a car. It's like that bit in the film Dumb and Dumber where one of those putz says "you wanna hear the most annoying sound in the world?' and proceeds to make some kind of straining screeching caterwauling noise right in the other persons ear....hahaha in fact that's EXACTLY what it sounds like when those buzzers go off!! :-D

Good riddance to those old turds!

Precisely Ed!

I don't know why my particular cars buzzers are so loud and obnoxious - I've never known anything so brutal to the ear upon entering a car. It's like that bit in the film Dumb and Dumber where one of those putz says "you wanna hear the most annoying sound in the world?' and proceeds to make some kind of straining screeching caterwauling noise right in the other persons ear....hahaha in fact that's EXACTLY what it sounds like when those buzzers go off!! :-D

Good riddance to those old turds!
You know, a handy fella might even consider opening up those buzzers and perhaps modifying them a bit to tune
them to different sounds?
I dunno, just a thought. :)

Gary,

Sorry, I have been quite busy starting Nov 30, so I missed some updates - just catching up now.

Glad to hear the car is running pretty well with no leaks at the intake or other parts you have worked on. Nice job! Keep up the good work my friend!

wile e coyote genius.jpg

Greetings fellas. It's hump day!! Hope your weeks are going well.

This weekend I intend to adjust my float bowl levels, in an attempt to rectify the occasional fuel starvation the car displays.

I have done my research. It might go well. Here's the main info I needed from the Holley instruction manual...

Screenshot 2023-01-18 115416.jpg

I'm hoping a micro adjustment is all that's needed. I will ensure I mark where the adjuster is before I mess with it so I can always go back to where I am now, should I have no success.

Wish me luck.

Well, that locking nut/adjuster screw simply doesn't exist on my Demon. So that's frustrating. From what I can gather, adjustment of the float bowls means taking the carb off and getting to it all from below....... I chatted with my buddy, we agreed that for now, seeing as I only have this fuel starvation thing once every 10-12 times I blast off the lights, I'm gonna live with it for a bit.

Well, that locking nut/adjuster screw simply doesn't exist on my Demon. So that's frustrating. From what I can gather, adjustment of the float bowls means taking the carb off and getting to it all from below....... I chatted with my buddy, we agreed that for now, seeing as I only have this fuel starvation thing once every 10-12 times I blast off the lights, I'm gonna live with it for a bit.
I went and downloaded the instructions from the carb on the Summit website and yep, you're right.
Float adjustment has to be done with the top of the carb pulled off!
demon.jpg

@moparedtn thanks for confirmation brother - I think Ill live with it for a while. Radiator next. They are expensive holy hell!!
Radiators run the gamut from cheap aluminum eBay specials to really nice exact reproductions.
I'm budget conscious on some things on these cars, but I don't scrimp on radiators - lessons learned, etc...

Radiators run the gamut from cheap aluminum eBay specials to really nice exact reproductions.
I'm budget conscious on some things on these cars, but I don't scrimp on radiators - lessons learned, etc...

Information greatly received and understood - who was your preferred supplier Ed?

I have an ECP aluminum unit....Speed Cooling radiator. Reasonably priced and great quality. I changed over to this one when I was converting the car to aftermarket air conditioning. I had to rig up an external cooler for the transmission though since I had an automatic transmission in the car at the time.

Radiators | ECP

Hi guys!

This late afternoon/early evening we worked to finish the sound deadening in the car. But first, I had to make the panel that separates the trunk from the cabin...

I used a composite aluminum sheeting called DiBond, which we use for sign faces.
View attachment 970939
After cutting and measuring, it went in good and I deadened it with some of my favorite Peel & Seal which I then ran out of!! To the hardware store...
View attachment 970940
View attachment 970941

I returned from the hardware store with everything I needed for a good evenings work.
View attachment 970942

After sealing everywhere that needed sealing with Seam-Sealer, we got to it.
View attachment 970938
This is a weird place to be...
View attachment 970944
While I was under here I noticed the throttle cable only has a small rubber bead on the end, to stop it coming away from the pedal!!!! Eeeek!! anyone have a good fix for that? I was thinking of welding a blob on the end but I've no idea how to get under there with a welder.
View attachment 970943

With the sweet wifey's help we finished the floor by 8pm, and very appreciative I was too!
View attachment 970945
Question about Peel and Seal... I've been thinking of using this on my 62 Fury wagon. Do you have any Negitive things to say about this product ? Smell ? , what about sticking to vertical surfaces (door areas ) interior roof surface ? any issues with melting/ozzing / staining carpet ? I live in North East Ohio, so summer can be upper 90's- 100 some times. How well did it dampen sound ?? and did it make help lower interior Temperature ?? Would you use it again ? please get back with me, any input would be great. Thanks

P1040827.JPG

@rustytoolss hello mate.

I will tread carefully here, because my experience with reviewing Peel & Seal had many people up in arms within the VW scene - which I lost no sleep over, but it is most definitely a sore subject for the insecure - having a well known brand plastered across the product seems to make some people feel like it increases the size of their genitalia. Personally, I want a product to work, and not be so expensive that I have to remortgage my house to buy some. Hence forth...

I love Peel & Seal. I had a small piece of Dynamat in my hand at one point, and I couldn't for the life of me differentiate between them enough to justify the gargantuan price difference. Sure, Dynamat (other brands are available) feels a little different in your hand, but certainly is not thicker, or spongier or lighter. To me, it looks more or less like the same product, or as near as makes no difference. That's just my opinion.

Rule #1, don't stick it near heat sources, or to be more descriptive, direct heat sources. On the VW Buses and Bugs I was first using Peel & Seal on, I never put it in the engine compartment, along the lower heater channels, or in the roof, or the underside of the trunk or deck lid where the sun can beat down.

Front firewall, floors, inside doors, behind the dash, and inside the trunk only. It did not smell, at all. Even on days that were so hot my aircooled VW would be vapor locking. I've never had any issues with smell, oozing/melting, nor staining anything.

As you can see in one of my pictures, I bought the silver tape to seal off the exposed edges. I overlapped my pieces about 1/2", and ran that reflectix tape over each edge that you can see the bitumen (or whatever the brown sticky stuff is called).

Applying this stuff is much easier on a warm day. I used an exacto knife to cut the pieces, and a hard roller of some kind to roll it on. The rounded end of a large screwdriver handle to mush it into recesses and low spots on the metal work. Cold days make the sticky stuff much slower to adhere. During the winter I've never had it begin peeling back up again. Ever.

Does it make a difference in dampening sound? Hell Yes. I put my '72 Bus into Vintage German Motors, to have the twin carbs sync'd. The owner Dave called me while he was on the final test drive, and asked me what the heck I did to my bus to make it so quiet? Apparently, he thought it was stalling at the lights, so tried to start it again, realizing it was already running... He couldn't hear the engine very much. I told him Peel & Seal, and some carpet. He recommends it to people now too.

Degrease all the surfaces first. I like a microfiber rag and some isopropol alcohol.

Does it lower interior temperature? Probably not. A white painted roof would do more for that.

Would I use it again? Absolutely. Every old car I have is Peel & Sealed. It was $17 for 25ftx6" roll when I last bought some, and if I remember correctly I used 5 rolls for my '78 Monaco in this thread.

Now, there will be people who call me names, and tell me just how much more superior and less idiotic they are compared to me, based purely on a decision regarding sound deadening material. That's fine. Each to their own, right? But I sure do feel ok about not spending $600 on a branded sound deadener, and having various people actually comment on how much quieter my car is than their not-deadened car. Who's the idiot? Not really sure to be fair.

Has it made an audible noticeable difference in the Monaco? Yes, I can hear road noise coming through the door gap I've not quite gotten right, whereas before I never noticed that.

Are the Dynamat brigade right in spending 5x more on their cammed glasspacked V8, of which no type of sound deadening material could ever dampen? You decide.

Here's where I found out about it, my main man Chris Vallone, this is an updated vid - I know it's VW based but it gives you the idea.

Hope this helps. Gary.

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back