• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My 1978 Dodge Monaco 4 door sedan.

Gary,

I watched you video again and I have some questions and comments.

I know you have been talking about adjusting fuel bowl levels, but I'd like to confirm something:
I believe you stated that the stumble happens just as you mash the throttle down. After you mash the throttle down, it stumbles a bit, then seems to recover after a second or so.

If the above is correct then I would not suspect the floats or float bowls. If your float bowls were low and you were eventually starving the car of fuel, this would happen at full throttle after a few seconds of full throttle. I do not believe it would happen immediately when you step hard on the throttle. If you had a fuel starvation issue at that point, you would have it for partial throttle situations as well.

Now mind you, I am not an expert carb tuner. But, at idle, your carb is using an idle circuit. These are often little slots or holes just below the throttle plates in the carb that dribble fuel into the engine while it is idling. When you slam open the throttle to accelerate, you transition off of this idle circuit to your venturis. As you mash the throttle, the accelerator pump squirts raw fuel into the engine to help with this transition. So my first suspicion would be your accelerator pump adjustment.

Again, assuming text in blue above is correct, I would try this simply check:
1) Have the car off, ideally after it has run for a minute or more - this is just to be sure fuel has not evaporated out of the carb after the car has been sitting. It does not necessarily need to be warmed up.
2) Remove the air cleaner
3) Look into the primary venturis of your carb - hold the choke door open if you need to.
4) Just BARELY start pulling the throttle back. You should immediately see some fuel drip out of the accelerator pump. I'll say this again because it is important: This should happen with the most MINUTE throttle action. Try this several times to get the hang of it. The tiniest bit of throttle travel should cause some fuel to come out of the accelerator pump in the throat of the carb.

This is an easy test as obviously no tear down is needed. If you have a delay before the accelerator pump provides raw fuel, this could cause the stumble. (Of course, it could be other tuning things, but this is an easy test to verify proper operation of the accelerator pump circuit.)

Let us know what you find!

Hawk

@rustytoolss hello mate.

I will tread carefully here, because my experience with reviewing Peel & Seal had many people up in arms within the VW scene - which I lost no sleep over, but it is most definitely a sore subject for the insecure - having a well known brand plastered across the product seems to make some people feel like it increases the size of their genitalia. Personally, I want a product to work, and not be so expensive that I have to remortgage my house to buy some. Hence forth...

I love Peel & Seal. I had a small piece of Dynamat in my hand at one point, and I couldn't for the life of me differentiate between them enough to justify the gargantuan price difference. Sure, Dynamat (other brands are available) feels a little different in your hand, but certainly is not thicker, or spongier or lighter. To me, it looks more or less like the same product, or as near as makes no difference. That's just my opinion.

Rule #1, don't stick it near heat sources, or to be more descriptive, direct heat sources. On the VW Buses and Bugs I was first using Peel & Seal on, I never put it in the engine compartment, along the lower heater channels, or in the roof, or the underside of the trunk or deck lid where the sun can beat down.

Front firewall, floors, inside doors, behind the dash, and inside the trunk only. It did not smell, at all. Even on days that were so hot my aircooled VW would be vapor locking. I've never had any issues with smell, oozing/melting, nor staining anything.

As you can see in one of my pictures, I bought the silver tape to seal off the exposed edges. I overlapped my pieces about 1/2", and ran that reflectix tape over each edge that you can see the bitumen (or whatever the brown sticky stuff is called).

Applying this stuff is much easier on a warm day. I used an exacto knife to cut the pieces, and a hard roller of some kind to roll it on. The rounded end of a large screwdriver handle to mush it into recesses and low spots on the metal work. Cold days make the sticky stuff much slower to adhere. During the winter I've never had it begin peeling back up again. Ever.

Does it make a difference in dampening sound? Hell Yes. I put my '72 Bus into Vintage German Motors, to have the twin carbs sync'd. The owner Dave called me while he was on the final test drive, and asked me what the heck I did to my bus to make it so quiet? Apparently, he thought it was stalling at the lights, so tried to start it again, realizing it was already running... He couldn't hear the engine very much. I told him Peel & Seal, and some carpet. He recommends it to people now too.

Degrease all the surfaces first. I like a microfiber rag and some isopropol alcohol.

Does it lower interior temperature? Probably not. A white painted roof would do more for that.

Would I use it again? Absolutely. Every old car I have is Peel & Sealed. It was $17 for 25ftx6" roll when I last bought some, and if I remember correctly I used 5 rolls for my '78 Monaco in this thread.

Now, there will be people who call me names, and tell me just how much more superior and less idiotic they are compared to me, based purely on a decision regarding sound deadening material. That's fine. Each to their own, right? But I sure do feel ok about not spending $600 on a branded sound deadener, and having various people actually comment on how much quieter my car is than their not-deadened car. Who's the idiot? Not really sure to be fair.

Has it made an audible noticeable difference in the Monaco? Yes, I can hear road noise coming through the door gap I've not quite gotten right, whereas before I never noticed that.

Are the Dynamat brigade right in spending 5x more on their cammed glasspacked V8, of which no type of sound deadening material could ever dampen? You decide.

Here's where I found out about it, my main man Chris Vallone, this is an updated vid - I know it's VW based but it gives you the idea.

Hope this helps. Gary.

Sounds good to me , Thanks for the honest information. I will be buying the Peal and Seal ! one more question, Did you use more than one layer of Peal&Seal to obtain the level of sound deading you described above ? Thanks so much.

Hi guys - just wanted to check in and say hello and that, according to the news sites, we are all encased in ice and have unusual snowfall nationwide - so I hope you are all safe and well. Spring is almost here guys, just a few more weeks to power through.

I've not been out in the garage at all, too cold here in Utah. Work has taken over but that's ok for now.

Here's a couple of older pics which were both taken in warmer climes - to inspire us and give us hope :-D

Be safe guys.

Gary

117219833_10159281454225021_7927407500293177094_n.jpg

IMG_5277.JPEG

THis is bullshit.
By late February, we usually are living with mid 60s weather and I'm comfortable in shorts and a long sleeved shirt.
Instead of that, the weather turned cold and rainy. For the last 10 days, it has been mostly cold and gloomy. Christ, it has been in the mid 40s for several days. I hate this ****. It is as if we went back to December. I don't feel like doing anything when the weather sucks *** like this.

THis is bullshit.
By late February, we usually are living with mid 60s weather and I'm comfortable in shorts and a long sleeved shirt.
Instead of that, the weather turned cold and rainy. For the last 10 days, it has been mostly cold and gloomy. Christ, it has been in the mid 40s for several days. I hate this ****. It is as if we went back to December. I don't feel like doing anything when the weather sucks *** like this.
Life in CA must really suck...you would not make it in sunny ? Ohio. May your days be warm and full of happiness (love your car )

Life here is generally great if you can distance yourself from the looooooooooong arm of government.
I'm somewhat intolerant of cold weather. I'm also one that prefers the natural order.....Late February is when we start warming up.

Life here is generally great if you can distance yourself from the looooooooooong arm of government.
I'm somewhat intolerant of cold weather. I'm also one that prefers the natural order.....Late February is when we start warming up.
I get it, I could only wish for a full year of nice weather...I was just giving some BS from a guy in crappy ohio.....But really do love your car

@Kern Dog I hear you brother. We actually had a -62F last month up in northern Utah, which from what some of my friends say, is unheard of. I guess it's been "properly" cold this winter after all. And for all of us. The snowfall has been +200% from last year, so with that, I am excited to go fishing this year, in lakes with actual water and hungry fish in them.

Hi guys - just wanted to check in and say hello and that, according to the news sites, we are all encased in ice and have unusual snowfall nationwide - so I hope you are all safe and well. Spring is almost here guys, just a few more weeks to power through.

I've not been out in the garage at all, too cold here in Utah. Work has taken over but that's ok for now.

Here's a couple of older pics which were both taken in warmer climes - to inspire us and give us hope :-D

Be safe guys.

Gary

View attachment 1425899
View attachment 1425900

You are doing a great job learning about your mopar and it’s definitely becoming quite a cruiser. Lots of people here are really helpful and have all kinds of great advice.

Cheers Jase - how's it been in Germany this winter?
Totally freezing. We hit -10deg C a couple of times. It's getting lighter by the day now though and better weather ahead. I say tgat tongue in cheek as German weather is questionable at the best of times. My contract here ends in 2025 and will be going back to Texas, so weather should improve then. The car is looking great Gary and I am so glad you got your carb issues sorted.

Auto Transport Service
Back