• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My 4 speed has the drips

macdiesel

Local time
4:26 AM
Reaction score
I have a small leak from the front of my A833. Anybody ever replaced the front seal? I've never worked on a A833 before. It would be nice to know what I'm getting into before I pull it and make a big problem out of a little problem.

After you drop the tranny (hopefully not on your hand!!) just pull the 4 cap screws on the front bearing retainer and the seal is in there. Do not tap on the sleeve part of the retainer to loosen it because it might break off!! Ask me how I know!!! There is a gasket between the case and the retainer that you will need to replace as well.

As far as using RTV instead of the gasket I can't comment on that - in case you were going to ask. With the retainer off you will see the input shaft bearing with a snap ring around it. The snap ring fits in a groove inside the retainer and I'm not sure if the snap ring thickness or lack of depth of the groove will prevent the retainer from going flush with the case without a gasket. This you can check with a feeler gauge or remove the snap ring and do some measuring.

Are you sure the leak is from the front seal?? Be sure cuz that thing is heavy!!!!!

Auto Transport Service
Back