• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My 69 Road Runner

It's like SHAZZAM... she's a car again ! :thumbsup::thumbsup::canada:
I remember the day I said to my wife "I now proclaim Fred is officially a car!"
She never quite understood the significance of that.... :)

It's like SHAZZAM... she's a car again ! :thumbsup::thumbsup::canada:
Yep, just snap my fingers and it is done. I wish it was that easy. Glad I decided to redo this car, it's so much nicer than before.

Very impressive Joel
I love that hood stripe!
Thanks Don. I like the V21 stripes on these cars as well. This one was not born with it, but sports it now.

Of the cars I have restored, I have never taken apart the rear run channels. The drivers side had a tear in it, so I decided to replace the slides. Huge surprise as to what laid underneath the rubber. This was a Texas car, so I am betting most of our cars are in the same condition in this area, just that nobody ever takes these apart. Drivers side I was able to clean up in my blast cabinet, but not so for the passenger side. Had to blast that side as best I could and then soak in acid, followed by more blasting. Even opened up a pin hole that needed a dab of weld. Got them clean, primered, and painted.

View attachment 1240086 View attachment 1240087 View attachment 1240088 View attachment 1240089 View attachment 1240090

Congratulations; as usual your attention to detail is amazing and the finished product is absolutely gorgeous.
Back on Feb 10th the dashboard wasn't in, interior still needed to be installed. How did you finish it all in one month? That's about three months work in my garage! Did you install the windshield yourself?

Man that is beautiful. Next to a 70, 69 is my next favorite RR. You do really nice work and I like how fast you move on your projects.

Congratulations; as usual your attention to detail is amazing and the finished product is absolutely gorgeous.
Back on Feb 10th the dashboard wasn't in, interior still needed to be installed. How did you finish it all in one month? That's about three months work in my garage! Did you install the windshield yourself?
Thanks Rich. Believe me, I am not Superman. When the car was at my buddies for a few months last fall, I restored all the sub assemblies. K-frame, steering column, dash, misc. When I got it back, everything was ready and waiting. It was pretty much just a bolt together deal at that point. I did not install the front and rear glass. Hired the same guys that put the glass in my Bee.

Man that is beautiful. Next to a 70, 69 is my next favorite RR. You do really nice work and I like how fast you move on your projects.
Thanks for the compliment. Yes, I really like the simple lines of the 69 RR's as well. Sleek/tough street brawler.

Buddy seat looks good! Can't wait for a dragstrip report!

Buddy seat looks good! Can't wait for a dragstrip report!
Thanks, yeah I really like the buddy seat. Not any dragstrip plans in my plans, but who knows....

Well. I know I stuck a fork in this one and called it done, but I guess that that was a bit premature. It all started once I got the motor fired up and put some miles on it. After about 20 miles, I started getting a big pool of oil on the floor from the rear of the engine. I put about 50 on it and it kept getting worse. Mind you, all I had the shop do was replace the pistons, bearings, and gaskets. Pulled the trans, clutch, and flywheel. Pumped a couple pounds of air in the dipstick and soaped the rear main. Sure enough, it was leaking around the crank. Debated on replacing the seal myself, and in hindsite I'm very glad I didn't try it. Since it was just put together and didn't leak previously, I contacted the engine guy. He told me to pull the motor and bring it back. Well, he had it all summer. He couldn't find the leak because it would sit and idle forever with no problem. Once it was ran at 2500 rpm with a load, it was a steady stream. At first he thought it was the pan, so he had me buy a new one along with a new windage tray. Didn't help. Then tried a different seal retainer. Didn't help. He replaced gaskets and had it on the dyno 8 times. He finally bought a supposedly cure all rope seal. Ran it again, called and said he got it, and to come pick it up. He was getting very frustrated and ornery through all of this of course. In the mean time I bought a brand new clutch disc because the first one had got oil on it. Put the motor back in the car and guess what? Still leaks. So I lost a whole summer of driving it, new pan, tray, seal retainer, and clutch disc. In my mind the problem can only be the block or crank. The crank was a new one from the Source kit 7 or so years ago.
At this point, I have had enough and am going to start over from scratch and use what I can from this motor. I have another 400 standard bore block and will buy a new crank. Need to decide if I want to stick with the 451, or go bigger. Oh yeah, I am also done with this local engine builder. I am only doing this motor one more time, so will probably haul it over to the Twin Cities. I did reach out to Dwayne Porter for a recommendation if I should have him port these Source heads or try to find some Trick Flow 240's. Also will go with his recommendation on a cam and rocker setup. Sure wish I was closer to him as he would be building the motor for me....
In the mean time. I have picked up a 18 spline trans from a member here. It looks to be in real nice condition, but I will have my guy go through it anyway. Will go with a dual disc clutch like I have in my Super Bee. Am ordering new 3" TTI exhaust to replace the current 2.5". I am kicking around the idea of using my 2.5" tailpipes however. Just took out the original 8 3/4 and installed a Strange 60 3.54 that I sourced through Cass. Had to get a new driveshaft made, looks to be about an inch shorter. That will be delivered on Tuesday. The Strange 60 must be a tad wider than my old 8 3/4 because I now only have 5/8" clearance from the tire bulge to the inner fender lip. Haven't decided what to do about that yet. I love the look of my Keystones, but the custom shop is down until next summer, so I may have to make a wheel brand change. It just never ends on this car.

20220923_185758.jpg

20220929_163328.jpg

20220929_163357.jpg

20221001_082748.jpg

20210621_062652.jpg

The 3" tailpipes are a tight fit with a Dana!
Yeah, I know. Have 3" all the way on my Bee. Really don't know how much using 2.5" after the 3" mufflers would affect performance/sound. Also wouldn't have to buy new tips if I kept the 2.5. I have Firm Feel rear sway bars coming for both these cars as well. They claim their bars will fit no problem with 3" TTI pipes, but you know how that goes.....

Sucks about the rear main. I hate doing things twice which I am very familiar with lol.
I'm curious to know whether that new crank you have in the motor has the striations where the seal sits. It's suppose to direct the oil back to the motor while rotating. Or if the sealing surface o.d. of the crank is undersized. I've never used a non factory crank and issues like this have me think twice about building a stroker.

Sucks about the rear main. I hate doing things twice which I am very familiar with lol.
I'm curious to know whether that new crank you have in the motor has the striations where the seal sits. It's suppose to direct the oil back to the motor while rotating. Or if the sealing surface o.d. of the crank is undersized. I've never used a non factory crank and issues like this have me think twice about building a stroker.
I agree on all of this. Shitty deal. One other thing (doubtful) is to use thread sealer on the seal retainer bolts. They can wick up and out the bolt holes.
I'm a believer in seal mock up /checking before assembly too.

Auto Transport Service
Back