• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My 70 SE 500 Charger Rebuild

[QUOTE="Duran75, post: 912227350, member:

No…. I have the Tail Light Trim panel with Charger 500 Emblem to install. I need to buff it out and touch up the black trim before I install it.[/QUOTE]
69FFA8CA-F4AE-4015-9ACF-1D7A09BF3948.jpeg

Last edited:
B7863D60-9B90-451B-9EA2-4000FC729362.jpeg
72AA22EC-ED5F-4BE8-9BD0-137F3CA23F54.jpeg
6D633E51-78B8-427C-9269-CC07412B8E52.jpeg
Brake are done!!! Just have to touch up some undercoating pant. Brake fluid is hard on paint!! Had a couple brake line leaks I had to correct . On the ground again!! Also installed the new rear Bilstein shocks. Still waiting for the front shock dust covers.

The car sure sits up tall.
That color is beautiful. A few years ago, I actually considered taking mine down to change the color to the 2015 B-5 color. Instead, I got a deal on another Charger and will likely paint it that color.
Back to the ride height again....
There is a factory way to measure but I always measure from the pavement to the highest point of each wheel arch. My red car is something like 24 1/2 in the front and 26 1/2 in the rear. My “Jigsaw” Charger is the same up front but an inch higher in the back at 27 1/2. I have 1” lowering blocks in the red car though. I had a thread here asking about rude heights and it looked like my car was close to the average height that others reported. Some like the jacked up look, it sort of emulated the style of the 70s.

The car sure sits up tall.
That color is beautiful. A few years ago, I actually considered taking mine down to change the color to the 2015 B-5 color. Instead, I got a deal on another Charger and will likely paint it that color.
Back to the ride height again....
There is a factory way to measure but I always measure from the pavement to the highest point of each wheel arch. My red car is something like 24 1/2 in the front and 26 1/2 in the rear. My “Jigsaw” Charger is the same up front but an inch higher in the back at 27 1/2. I have 1” lowering blocks in the red car though. I had a thread here asking about rude heights and it looked like my car was close to the average height that others reported. Some like the jacked up look, it sort of emulated the style of the 70s.

Hey…. I do love the color!! I’m the second owner, the original owner repainted the car Silver back in 1984. Once I decided to put the car back on the street. I drag raced this car for 25 year. I wanted it back to its original color. The rear springs are re arched 1 inch over stock. I’m sure the springs will settle down some, and once I have the gas tank and interior back in the rear should drop some.

I had KYB shocks on a few cars when I was short on cash.
I even had them on THIS car....

Where did you get the chin spoiler?

View attachment 1271894

I had 1.0" torsion bars and Hemi/440 4 speed leaf springs so it was sprung a bit stiffer than stock. It rode sort of rough and wasn't too smooth on rough roads. I read for years that KYBs were too harsh for stiffer springs so I started looking around at other options. Bilstein was a reputable name so I bought a set from Firm Feel. I installed them along with even bigger torsion bars.....1.15" from Bergman Auto Craft. As unusual as it may seem, the car rides smoother and handles better than it did before.
The Bilsteins soak up small bumps but get progressively firmer the further the shock moves. The KYB "Gas-A-Just" shocks are the opposite. They are really stiff from a rest and get softer as they go through their range of travel. I don't understand the reasoning for this design....it defies common sense to me.

The spoiler is for a 69 Camaro. Basic plastic...$39 when I bought it years ago. Any Chevy restoration supply should be able to get it.

Folsom 12.JPG

Hell;
I liked the Silver & Black too...

But that blue does look nice...

I'm just glad it's not yet another 'DOH GL' clone :poke:

I like the build style too...

I'll be checking in from time to time, see the progress
Popcorn The Stig Eating.gif

Damn...that blue is so damn pretty.

Damn...that blue is so damn pretty.
Update: installed new Front Bilstein Shocks and rear tail light panel.View attachment 1308941View attachment 1308942
Absolutely beautiful car. I may post some pics of my build when I get started back in on it. On my front end I used Viking adjustable shocks, 1 1/8 sway arm, 1.03 T-bars, SPC Adjustable A-Arms, lower Qa1 tubular J-arms, Qa1 strut rods, 11/16 tie rods and Qa1 Adjustable sleeves, Borgeson steering. I haven’t decided on braking yet. My buddy has 1 1/4 sway arms and 1.12 bars and I thought it was a tad too stiff but handling and ride is a personal preference. I like the upgrade on these cars but there’s a few things I just won’t do to my car and that’s add a coil over suspension and put a chin spoiler on one.

My original steering wheel has been long gone many years ago…. I picked up a decent 69 Spot Steering Wheel. My budget would not allow for a $800.00 wheel. I found a okay wheel for $200.00. With an additional $30.00 bucks, cleaned it up and added a leather wrap.
01328739-5F66-499D-81BE-C69F24396AE9.jpeg
73C5B115-8946-4FD5-B88A-7C8CBAE23EE7.jpeg

Where did you buy the wrap? I need to wrap the wheel in my car, and I don't want one that's perforated.
I purchased this kit off eBay: Hand Sew Leather Steering Wheel cover Fit for Ford F-250/350/450/550 Super Duty

I soaked leather in warm water for four hours. Then I stretched it over the wheel and let it dry. Once it was dry I trim the edges. Measured out all the holes for the stitching. Then sewed it up.

I purchased this kit off eBay: Hand Sew Leather Steering Wheel cover Fit for Ford F-250/350/450/550 Super Duty

I soaked leather in warm water for four hours. Then I stretched it over the wheel and let it dry. Once it was dry I trim the edges. Measured out all the holes for the stitching. Then sewed it up.
Wow, nice work! Not sure if I'm up to that level of leather work. Did you buy that one because the diameter of the wheel being similar to what you have or the color? Last question, where did you get the thread of stitching it all together?

Auto Transport Service
Back