• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My charger restoration dream car

Awesome project and great job on the photos and documentation! keep it up.

I can do good grunt work but, after putting this much money and time into this car, I would like a professional paint job. Now that I have all the panels fit I am sending it to Bob Martin. He is a local auto body man who specializes in restoring classic cars. I have seen his work and feel like that he will do the job that I want.

105_3281.jpg

105_3282.jpg

It sounds like the guy can do it for you, I don't think anyone who does this amount of work should have to settle for less, Just as you say, This amount of time, effort and ill bet at least a couple sleepless nights with wondering how one thing or another may turn out and never forgetting the money that gets involved a professional job and you know and trust him, Go for it and maybe you can get some needed sleep knowing its being well taken care of! Good luck to you, the waiting im sure will be the hardest!

It sounds like the guy can do it for you, I don't think anyone who does this amount of work should have to settle for less, Just as you say, This amount of time, effort and ill bet at least a couple sleepless nights with wondering how one thing or another may turn out and never forgetting the money that gets involved a professional job and you know and trust him, Go for it and maybe you can get some needed sleep knowing its being well taken care of! Good luck to you, the waiting im sure will be the hardest!

You’re right, that guy is going to get tired of seeing me. I am so excited that I probably will be stopping by every day to check on it.

Left fender nose.

IMG_0545.jpg

This is a cardboard pattern of the nose. Trying to match the correct shape.

IMG_0544.jpg

After messing around with my fenders some more, I decided that it will cost about the same to pay a professional to fix my original fenders as it would to buy new AMD fenders.

I am OCD on some things and know that after I have my fenders were fixed with welds, patches, and bondo, I still might not be happy with them.

Long story short, I ordered new AMD fenders from Summit.

I think you made the right decision myself, And that guy probably, more then likely, will still get tired to see you coming lol, new fenders, same car, excitement grows? oh well, tell him to get used to it, at least until your lady locks ya up so you cant check on your sweety!!! lol couldn't help it bud, been there done that, i try to do the work myself but my wife has told me i spent more time in my little garage then i did with her at the time lol, past tense because it was awhile back, enjoy! You'll get it done and be havin fun before you know it! :)

I think you made the right decision myself, And that guy probably, more then likely, will still get tired to see you coming lol, new fenders, same car, excitement grows? oh well, tell him to get used to it, at least until your lady locks ya up so you cant check on your sweety!!! lol couldn't help it bud, been there done that, i try to do the work myself but my wife has told me i spent more time in my little garage then i did with her at the time lol, past tense because it was awhile back, enjoy! You'll get it done and be havin fun before you know it! :)
You'r right, I do have to balance my time with my wife and my car. I took my camp trailer up and spent the weekend with her for our 27th year anniversary camping and fishing. (My wife caught more fish than I did.) Now I am taking her to the rodeo. I hope that it will count for some more shop tome. lol. :eusa_dance:

It all works out for the good and your camping trip sounds like some good fun you had!

I have been excited to watch my charger body get straightened up and primed.

105_3292.jpg

105_3293.jpg

Man, ill tell ya what i can understand why! She looking good, im having fun with my work but checking in hear, its good to hear some happy results!!! I sure love the tail lights in these 68's, even before i could legally drive it was one of my favorites, my brother in law (now) his 1/2 brother used to hang around him and Karl and i were always doing something at his dads garage and he had one, he was a crazy kind of guy but had one of the coolest cars i seen back in those days, his was the ive green i guess they called it but it was a fast 4-speed machine!

On the side I have been working on restoring some of the subassemblies. One of them is my heater A/C box.

heater AC box.jpg

I have totally disassembled it and started to clean each part. I also bought a rebuild insulation, seals, and gasket kit from Detroit Muscle.

BXX6670HB11.jpg

Methodical looking work! It should be as good or better considering the newer parts they sometimes have, or better...

Methodical looking work! It should be as good or better considering the newer parts they sometimes have, or better...

Yes, there are a lot of parts. I am taking a lot of pictures because I am worried that I will not remember how to put it all back together.

heater box 005.jpg

Ive found out taking LOT's of pictures and LOT's of notes is the best way to keep track and know what im doing, its to easy to get side tracked with all of it!

Ive found out taking LOT's of pictures and LOT's of notes is the best way to keep track and know what im doing, its to easy to get side tracked with all of it!
I agree Ron. I just hope that I am keeping enough info for me to understand.
I have a note book that I am recording my process. I hope that when I read it backwards that the car will come back together.:happy7:

Being serious as can be, each page at the top mark what your doing, i have one too but its a mixed up mess if i have to search for what gos back together, My car now im still learning taking notes and writing all down, my 73 i started and then got so busy i quit taking notes and it was the wrong thing to do lol, i have to because sometimes i cant work on it for up to a month and then i loose track of what i was even doing, good notes really are helpful, at least for butter brains like me :)

I got the A/C vacuum pods and linkage all wire wheel cleaned and they seem to work well.

heater ac box 003.jpg

I took the blower motor apart and cleaned all of the dust and rust out, cleaned the brushes, and repainted. The plastic fan also cleaned up nice. I tested the motor and it also seems to run well.

heater ac box 002.jpg

getting some nice work done on the car and doing some nice work on the small stuff. Plus able to take the wife fishing and out for anniversary night. The balance of life's pleasures.

I agree, I really think that the small stuff can at times, really be a pain, getting the biggest things done we want to finish and get to the fun and all these little things can weigh us down, i can only speak for myself but with my 73 it seemed i was ahead until i tried to get all the little stuff that i really thought would zip along good, and then found it was workin good on pre-venting my foot reaching that gas pedal! ;)

Auto Transport Service
Back