• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My charger restoration dream car

Great work there and I'll be referring back to this when it comes time to do mine.

I finished the back bench seat upholstery. I thought the front bucket seats would be the more difficult seats to do but for me the rear seats were more of a stretch. The top back frame seemed to be bigger than the upholstery but I finally got it worked out and I think that they look good. Now I hope they will fit back in my car when it is ready for them.
IMG_2819.JPG

IMG_2820.JPG

Muslin cloth was stretched over the 3 layers of cotton then rolled and tucked around the edges.
IMG_2821.JPG

IMG_2822.JPG

Looks great! I have the same black/grey interior which is still original. The front seats are showing their age so this is great for me to reference when the time comes to have it redone.

I need some help. I have been waffling back and forth about trying to install my headliner. I have talked with some upholsterers about doing it and one said that he would rather make the headliner and the other said that it is better to buy the kit because it will have the right measurements. (My old headliner had completely rotted out so I have no pattern.)
On Daytona Kid's thread, cdr posted some sites that would be helpful in installing my own headliner but I still don't have confidence that I would know enough tricks of the trade. Justin (moparnation74) also did a great job on his own car.
I will continue to do some research but if anyone has any opinions on whether it is worth it or not I am still weighing the possibilities. I am also considering installing my own carpet kit.

I put the headliner in my GTX and although not perfect, i was more than happy with the result. I would definately give it a go yourself. I think the Charger headliner has the sail panel included as one piece whereas the GTX is separate, but i still don’t see why you couldn’t do it. Get yourself plenty of small spring clips and a good sharp blade and a heat gun. Make sure to lay out the headliner for a couple of weeks to flatten out the creases, or lay in the sun for a while to do the same and soften it up. Don’t go crazy with the heat gun, patience and take your time. I think i saw a thread on here about doing it and it helped a lot. Looking at how well your seats came up i don’t think you would have any problems with the headliner. :thumbsup:

Here’s a link that was posted on another thread here which looks pretty good.
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,31212.msg341151.html#msg341151
Another thing i did on mine was to put the screws from the luggage hooks and visors and whatever else you may have into their holes beforehand. It’s a lot easier to feel for the screw heads through the liner than trying to feel for the holes. Then you just put a little nick in the liner and pop the screw through. Hope this helps.
Glenn

Here’s a link that was posted on another thread here which looks pretty good.
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,31212.msg341151.html#msg341151
Another thing i did on mine was to put the screws from the luggage hooks and visors and whatever else you may have into their holes beforehand. It’s a lot easier to feel for the screw heads through the liner than trying to feel for the holes. Then you just put a little nick in the liner and pop the screw through. Hope this helps.
Glenn
Thanks Glenn,
All I need to do is make it look good and I will be happy. You have helped motivate me. I have been reading and watching examples and tips, along with your tips, on how to install it.

Just thought I would show this picture for fun. The 64 Galaxie on the left is the car I learned to drive, back in the day. 390 three on the tree with overdrive. I enjoyed driving it and would like to get it going again some day. It is still sitting in my dads back yard. You can see, by the cars, that I came from a Ford family but I always dreamed of owning a Mopar.
IMG_2566.JPG

You absolutely have the ability to install the headliner. It is straightforward once you get it hung in the bows what needs to get stretched and where to apply adhesive and clips.

You absolutely have the ability to install the headliner. It is straightforward once you get it hung in the bows what needs to get stretched and where to apply adhesive and clips.
Thank you for the encouragement. It definitely helps me. I just don't want to make a mess.
Justin told me that Legendary has the best headliner so I will be making an order soon.

Now that school started and I am back teaching, I have not spent much time on my charger lately. I did order a headliner and carpet kit for it. I did decide to try installing the headliner myself.
I did work on a couple other projects these past couple weeks.
I helped my son set his 390 engine and C6 transmission into his Galaxie.
IMG_2833.JPG

IMG_2832.JPG

We also finished rebuilding and painting the Citabria wings and yesterday we mounted them onto the fuselage. I'm excited, we are close to getting it flying.
IMG_2851.JPG

IMG_2853.JPG

IMG_2860.JPG

IMG_2859.JPG

Car looks terrific! Headliner and carpet are easier than doing the seats IMO.

The hardest part on a charger headliner are the rear sail areas.....Just take your time...

I agree with others, you have the skills to do this.....

The hardest part on a charger headliner are the rear sail areas.....Just take your time...

I agree with others, you have the skills to do this.....
Do you glue the headliner to the sail panel card-boards anywhere other than just the bottom at the tray ends?

Do you glue the headliner to the sail panel card-boards anywhere other than just the bottom at the tray ends?
No.....the boards are behind for the contour....The charger also has that short bow with clips just above the sail panel board that attaches to the sail panel...

No.....the boards are behind for the contour....The charger also has that short bow with clips just above the sail panel board that attaches to the sail panel...
Justin,
Does the headliner have a pocket that those little sail panel bows slip into?

Auto Transport Service
Back