• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My charger restoration dream car

I was able to put some time on my car the last couple days. I spent hours trying to figure out my electrical. Most of my wiring was gone out of my car when I got it so I was not able to take pictures and notes on how everything hooks up. I bought all of the new electrical harnesses from M&H. I have been using the schematic print outs for the 68 charger and have figured out most of it. I've said it before, electrical is definitely one of my weak points.
I cleaned up my original rear view mirror and am glad that it looks good. I like it when I have parts that I can use without having to buy new.
IMG_2907.JPG

IMG_2908.JPG

I had to buy a new mirror for $80 from Y.O. Mine was pretty shot. Be careful when installing, I only had the 2 of the 3 screws to put in before the headliner and almost poked a hole in the wrong spot because I had the base backwards at first...duh.. I wonder if I can get the wire harness from the dash back to the tail lights from M&H?, mine is a little tired.

Last edited:
I had to buy a new mirror for $80 from Y.O. Mine was pretty shot. Be careful when installing, I only had the 2 of the 3 screws to put in before the headliner and almost poked a hole in the wrong spot because I had the base backwards at first...duh.. I wonder if I can get the wire harness from the dash back to the tail lights from M&H?, mine is a little tired.
I did get a tail light harness from M&H that does have the connection up to the dash area. I bought these some time ago and I would have to look up how much it was. They are expensive but they look factory original and I am satisfied with them. The harnesses were on back order until they produced another batch but I ordered early and wasn't held up.

What's your status bro? We need an update.. I bet you're riding by now, and having so much fun you just can't take the time out? Or flying?

What's your status bro? We need an update.. I bet you're riding by now, and having so much fun you just can't take the time out? Or flying?
Your right! I have been distracted with the Citabria. We got it together and have been taxi testing it. We are excited to fly it but we can not fly it yet until it is approved by the FAA so maybe I will start spending some time on my car.
IMG_2953.JPG

IMG_2954.JPG

IMG_2955.JPG

I need some help. As you may know, my car did not have wiring so I have perched many new harnesses. I bought a new center console connecting wire harness and have not figured where it plugs into. I have not been able to figure out the schematic diagram. It is a 4 prong plug that should plug into a 4 prong receptacle plug and have not been able to find it in my under dash wiring. I may be missing something? I have a new under dash harness and have most of that hooked up.
Any suggestions or pointers?
Thanks,
Here is a poor picture on the plug that I am talking about.
IMG_3021.JPG

I think I may have it figured out.. Fortunately my original under dash wiring was ok and so much is not going to get hooked back up and I haven't finalized where I'm going to stow it all yet, and it's all labeled... So here are my findings, the possible reason you don't find it is because it comes from the fuse box, 2 wires that divide to 4 going to console lights, and 2 going to back up light switch. , or at least that's the way mine appears to be. Hope that helps, let me know if I'm right or not. Here's a couple of pics, let me know if you need more.

20181207_212258.jpg
20181207_221304.jpg

Last edited:
I think I may have it figured out.. Fortunately my original under dash wiring was ok and so much is not going to get hooked back up and I haven't finalized where I'm going to stow it all yet, and it's all labeled... So here are my findings, the possible reason you don't find it is because it comes from the fuse box, 2 wires that divide to 4 going to console lights, and 2 going to back up light switch. , or at least that's the way mine appears to be. Hope that helps, let me know if I'm right or not. Here's a couple of pics, let me know if you need more.

View attachment 688379
View attachment 688388
Thanks Kid,
That gives me some good pointers to start from.
I have been under this dash trying to trace those wires down. I’m still slow at this electrical stuff. I may have someone that can come and help me. The plug that I thought might be it plugs into the flasher switch. I have been doing ok tracing down most of the colors but one thing that has slowed me down some is because I’m slightly colored blind and have a hard time identifying some of the wire colors.
1F7ECB63-1BED-4FF9-A282-FE8C2B40AE2A.jpeg

I have the correct colors going to the flasher plug.
9FD62346-0A27-4CAB-8C11-D156BFD709EF.jpeg

This plug has orange violet and pink.
C310FE4B-83AA-4B2E-AF10-AFB372307847.jpeg

View attachment 688379
View attachment 688388
Kid, I have been trying to research the information that you gave me. I have been trying to study the pictures that you sent. I think that I might have figured out my problem. There is another harness that plugs into the inside console harness and runs under the carpet to the driver side kick panel. This one connects to the reverse light switch wires in the under dash harness, and splices into the door jamb switches(YELLOW).
This harness also runs across the under dash and connects to the fuse block.(PINK,ORANGE) there are piggy back connectors on the fuse block.

I am missing the little harness that runs from the fuse box to the kick panel.

I may be confrused about the way it lays out in the car, and more, but those pics above of mine show the pink and orange coming off the fuse box. As you can see they are black taped up together to one, and on the end of it is the black female square 4 wire connector (the black plastic outer part is male but the 4 spade connectors in it are female so the manual calls it a female, I think). There is also the 2 wire black "male" backup plug. The crude drawing below shows the colors of that 4 wire plug, the 2 wire backup connector, and the 4 wire white male console harness plug. The 4 wire plugs fit perfectly together. And all this seems to match the book except where the white wire changes to a violet with white tracer at that connection, my book (which must be wrong) shows just violet but it does change back to white at the shifter switch. I thought my yellow door jam wires were originally in the bundle of console harness but I did remove part of them from somewhere around there because they were damaged and I'm not using door jam switches anyway, or console lighting, and probably not the backup stuff either, for now anyway. This is the way it all came out of my car I think, and it was all fairly unmolested. Am I wrong about the 4 wire plugs connecting to each other? What happened to your friend? I was hoping he could finger it out. Disregard the pink marking, that was from something else.

20181218_200607.jpg 20181218_194352.jpg
20181218_190527.jpg

Last edited:
I may be confrused about the way it lays out in the car, and more, but those pics above of mine show the pink and orange coming off the fuse box. As you can see they are black taped up together to one, and on the end of it is the black female square 4 wire connector (the black plastic outer part is male but the 4 spade connectors in it are female so the manual calls it a female, I think). There is also the 2 wire black "male" backup plug. The crude drawing below shows the colors of that 4 wire plug, the 2 wire backup connector, and the 4 wire white male console harness plug. The 4 wire plugs fit perfectly together. And all this seems to match the book except where the white wire changes to a violet with white tracer at that connection, my book (which must be wrong) shows just violet but it does change back to white at the shifter switch. I thought my yellow door jam wires were originally in the bundle of console harness but I did remove part of them from somewhere around there because they were damaged and I'm not using door jam switches anyway, or console lighting, and probably not the backup stuff either, for now anyway. This is the way it all came out of my car I think, and it was all fairly unmolested. Am I wrong about the 4 wire plugs connecting to each other? What happened to your friend? I was hoping he could finger it out. Disregard the pink marking, that was from something else.

View attachment 692829 View attachment 692830
View attachment 692831
Thank you for the description. If I have to I may try and use all of the information and make my own. For now I am going to try to see if I can find one to buy. So far I have not found one that is reproduced. I would even be happy to find an old messed up one that I could use the plugs and copy.

I found this harness for a 66 coronet. Does it look something like this? What would the purple and white wires plug into?
s-l1600.jpg

The violet(purple) and white are for back-up lamps, I believe. They are together as one kinda v shaped male spades connector on 68s. I'll get a pic of it tomorrow night for you. I have not figured out where they/it plugs into yet tho, I think under the dash but end up at the back lamps. They are coming from the shifter back up switch which has a violet and a white coming out of it to a T shaped 2 wire connector that goes to it's mate on the console harness. I think you have what you need there with maybe a little tweaking. Here's another even crudder drawing but should make better sense than the 1st one. Everything I say about this is just my speculations so don't blame me if lord forbid your car burns up..lol

20181220_201532[1].jpg

Here is what the back-up (violet and white) connector looks like and I found where it plugs to the main dash harness right before the firewall/bulkhead connector.

20181221_203305.jpg 20181221_205214.jpg

Here is what the back-up (violet and white) connector looks like and I found where it plugs to the main dash harness right before the firewall/bulkhead connector.

View attachment 693915 View attachment 693919
Thank you,
This has all been very helpful. For a person like me, all of this electrical has been overwhelming but if I focus on one part at a time I have been able to figure them out. Thanks for your hand drawn schematic, that is my level of understanding. I now understand it and know what I can do. I wondered where the V shape plug, under my dash, plugged into.

Auto Transport Service
Back