• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My first car....NOT a Mopar, so be easy, annual bath day...

bandit67

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
10:53 PM
Reaction score
This is a photo of my first car, a 67 Camaro. As of last month I ve had it 49 years. Dad got it for me a month before my 16th bday. It had 70k miles on and no dents. I drove it daily until I got my second car at 21. Now, there is hardly any place without dents. I blew up the original 327 doing about 110 down the interstate and have had a half dozen engines/trannies since then. Now it has the original drive train back in it minus the original motor. My son drove it about a year when he turned sixteen but with no A/C and manual steering, he was ready for something else. He said he didn t like making his girlfriends sweat out on their dates.

Any of y'all manage to hang on to your first car.....

IMG_0299.jpg

I’m a big fan of the ‘67-‘69 Camaro.

I always thought my ‘70 ‘Cuda was just a great looking Camaro.:)

Any of y'all manage to hang on to your first car.....
Yup. Bought the 73 in 1979. Painted and (sort of) restored it in early 90's. My son drove it from age 16 for 7 years until the engine threw a rod out the side of the block. Built a new 340 stroker for it and just recently got it back on the road.

It's a little rough and not worth all that much, but it is still a member of the family! Here it is next to my 70.
20210905_142406.jpg

Here it is two weeks ago.
20210921_103714.jpg

Its great that you managed to hang onto it no matter what brand and model it is.
Nice 1st gen camaro.

If I had a dollar for every time someone told me I had a nice Camaro when they were looking at my challenger It would have paid for the restoration

That's a great story about still having your first car. I also still have my first car. My father bought it for me when I was 15 years old. We always worked on every car we had. If something needed repairs we did them. Didn't matter if it was a car or a washing machine! My sister, cousin and I restored it about 5 years ago before Dad passed. He would tell me that he wanted to go for one more ride in it before he shut his eyes for the final time. It took us 3 years to complete the restoration and yes, Dad got his wish. I have so many fond memories with this car I could never part with it. 440'
20190427_180350.jpg

That's a great story about still having your first car. I also still have my first car. My father bought it for me when I was 15 years old. We always worked on every car we had. If something needed repairs we did them. Didn't matter if it was a car or a washing machine! My sister, cousin and I restored it about 5 years ago before Dad passed. He would tell me that he wanted to go for one more ride in it before he shut his eyes for the final time. It took us 3 years to complete the restoration and yes, Dad got his wish. I have so many fond memories with this car I could never part with it. 440' View attachment 1179940
Awesome story and a great car. Like mine, worth way more than the "market value"!

Isn't that a pretty rare car?

As many know the 67 was the first year of the Camaro Chevy introduced trying to catch the Mustangs off the chart sales. The 69 Camaro is valued the most from the first gen. but all three years are still sought after. Mine was a plain Jane, 210 hp 327, two speed power glide with 2.73 10 bolt. Just a low budget production car so not so valuable. Dad ask me if I wanted an auto or manual and I said auto. If I had of said manual, I may have wound up with a Z-28 or big block....oh well, shouda woulda couldas. I wound up stripping a wrecked 68 Z-28 many years ago and have the hideaway headlites, 12 bolt 4-10, tail lights and other removables, but pretty much left her as was. Still has original interior, much original paint and I just put the original hubcaps back on. Dad paid $700. for it off a car lot in Warner Robins Ga.
And as 440Coronet stated, my Dad rebuilt engines and did car repairs as a source of extra income....so working with him is where I learned much. And he built a shop that most envious to my buddies who had to change their oil in a ditch. Dad worked alot on pulp wood trucks and our shop you could pull one inside and disassemble or build one from ground up. It had a rolling trolly with chain fall and I could pull my motor and tranny in two hours by myself. And man, did I waste mucho moneys on cams, carbs and trick of the week in Hot Rod magazines.....
Love reading about your old stories Guys, please share more.....

I smashed up my first car.
I smashed up my 2nd car.
I smashed up my 3rd car, but rebuilt it and kept it for 14 years.

Here are some more details about my 73:
https://www.forbbodiesonly.com/mopa...-hawk-rod-resurrection-roadkill-style.213411/

Some additional stories:
A few of us from high school, both guys and gals, went to a Penn State branch campus together, so obviously we hung out together at lunch. This cute girl started to hang out with us as she didn't know anyone and we invited her to join us. When her car engine seized, I gallantly offered to pick her up and drive her in my Road Runner. We started dating soon after and we kissed for the first time behind the trunk of the car as she was getting her books. (We have now been married 34 years and still going strong.) My good buddy wanted to borrow my car so he had a cool car to take a girl he met out on a date. They have now been married 33 years and going strong (and we are still best friends).

Lots more stories, but don't want to fill the page!

Hawk

Still have mine, all original except for a repainted nose and passenger fender.

0713201947_2.jpg

1991 Dodge Daytona CS/AGS Competition Package. 2.5L "high torque" (210 lb-ft) turbo engine, 5 speed getrag, 4 wheel disc brakes, directional 16" wheels, fat swaybars front and rear, HD performance spring rates, performance struts and shocks, quick-ratio steering rack. No ground effects available (weight) - came with only the power bulge hood and the rear wing; no leather available; no roof options available; base cassette deck only. 150 total production; 26 with my color and options (a/c, power windows, power locks, rear defrost, cruise, interior light package; white with maroon interior).

Over the years it's been intercooled (factory was non-intercooled) with a bolt-in Shelby Z rad/IC combo; it's had a bigger Garrett turbo on it along with MP +40% injectors and an adjustable fuel pressure regulator; it's had boost turned up to 25+. I've put MP lowering springs on it and a 2.5" open exhaust with cat (for boost control; the wastegates will flutter like crazy without a cat for some backpressure). From the factory, it has a forged crank so the bottom end is good and stout. I've had the head off many times due to over-boosting and warping; I can still do a headgasket on one of these (properly!) with hand tools in under 5 hours, with no lift! Back in the racing days, I could do a "lift-and-slip" in the pits between rounds. Currently it's back to stock - original mitsubishi TE04H turbo, no intercooler - but still has the lowering springs and exhaust on it, as well as a manual boost controller currently set for 18psi (stock was 7). I also still have my Autometer boost and air/fuel gauges inside. Engine is the original block, original turbo, possibly the original head (I have about eight of them in the shop...), original clutch, 74k miles.

There's just something about your first car....

As many know the 67 was the first year of the Camaro Chevy introduced trying to catch the Mustangs off the chart sales. The 69 Camaro is valued the most from the first gen. but all three years are still sought after. Mine was a plain Jane, 210 hp 327, two speed power glide with 2.73 10 bolt. Just a low budget production car so not so valuable. Dad ask me if I wanted an auto or manual and I said auto. If I had of said manual, I may have wound up with a Z-28 or big block....oh well, shouda woulda couldas. I wound up stripping a wrecked 68 Z-28 many years ago and have the hideaway headlites, 12 bolt 4-10, tail lights and other removables, but pretty much left her as was. Still has original interior, much original paint and I just put the original hubcaps back on. Dad paid $700. for it off a car lot in Warner Robins Ga.
And as 440Coronet stated, my Dad rebuilt engines and did car repairs as a source of extra income....so working with him is where I learned much. And he built a shop that most envious to my buddies who had to change their oil in a ditch. Dad worked alot on pulp wood trucks and our shop you could pull one inside and disassemble or build one from ground up. It had a rolling trolly with chain fall and I could pull my motor and tranny in two hours by myself. And man, did I waste mucho moneys on cams, carbs and trick of the week in Hot Rod magazines.....
Another great reply! To me it really doesn't matter what brand of vehicle you cut your teeth on! The thing is we're all car guys and girls! We all have our preferences when it comes to cars, tools, etc. Our life experiences often dictate those preferences. I started out working on lawnmowers, mini bikes, and go carts. It's what help shape my career as an Engineer. I've always been a hands on type person. And that stems from the fact of working with my father on things at such a young age. 440'

Still have mine, all original except for a repainted nose and passenger fender.

View attachment 1179963

1991 Dodge Daytona CS/AGS Competition Package. 2.5L "high torque" (210 lb-ft) turbo engine, 5 speed getrag, 4 wheel disc brakes, directional 16" wheels, fat swaybars front and rear, HD performance spring rates, performance struts and shocks, quick-ratio steering rack. No ground effects available (weight) - came with only the power bulge hood and the rear wing; no leather available; no roof options available; base cassette deck only. 150 total production; 26 with my color and options (a/c, power windows, power locks, rear defrost, cruise, interior light package; white with maroon interior).

Over the years it's been intercooled (factory was non-intercooled) with a bolt-in Shelby Z rad/IC combo; it's had a bigger Garrett turbo on it along with MP +40% injectors and an adjustable fuel pressure regulator; it's had boost turned up to 25+. I've put MP lowering springs on it and a 2.5" open exhaust with cat (for boost control; the wastegates will flutter like crazy without a cat for some backpressure). From the factory, it has a forged crank so the bottom end is good and stout. I've had the head off many times due to over-boosting and warping; I can still do a headgasket on one of these (properly!) with hand tools in under 5 hours, with no lift! Back in the racing days, I could do a "lift-and-slip" in the pits between rounds. Currently it's back to stock - original mitsubishi TE04H turbo, no intercooler - but still has the lowering springs and exhaust on it, as well as a manual boost controller currently set for 18psi (stock was 7). I also still have my Autometer boost and air/fuel gauges inside. Engine is the original block, original turbo, possibly the original head (I have about eight of them in the shop...), original clutch, 74k miles.

There's just something about your first car....

Far from my first car, but my first new car was an '84 Dodge Daytona turbo just like this.....

1984_dodge_daytona_15815527500ce7401f00.jpg

My first car has been recycled into many cars, over and over by now.

Not mine, but this is what it looked like. 1961 Chevy bubble top.
1961-chevrolet-impala-bubble-top-36184-miles-white-2-door-283-cid-automatic-1.jpg

My first car was given to me right after I hit a maple head on.
Years later the tree died and was cut down by the town.
Luckily it was dead center and my Dad did help me get parts and repair it.
The steering wheel was bent from the force of me holding on during the crash.
Three dents from my knuckles as I pounded on the door in frustration for being so stupid.
Came out pretty good considering the hood was buckled about a foot up in the middle.
upload_2021-10-15_10-14-47.png

My wife (girlfriend at the time) spotted the 66 Charger as we were headed back from trying to find/buy a 68 Charger.
The guy sold that car while I was trying to get there. Oh well.
The 66 was the first car I ever bought. Still have it today.
upload_2021-10-15_10-19-54.png

I'm $25,000 into a $15,000 build on my '66 Belvedere that I've had for 30 years. My friends say it's not worth what I have in it.
My 12 year old grandson saw it for the first time and asked, "Is that mine, grampa?" Sometimes money isn't the issue.

... My friends say it's not worth what I have in it...
...Sometimes money isn't the issue...
Totally agree.

I am in this as a hobby not a business. I also enjoy backpacking and biking as a hobby, but I'm not looking to be able to sell my bikes and backpacks for more than I paid for them!

I'm not sure why so many are fixated over what their car is worth and not wanting to put more money in them than they are worth. Buy any new or used car and you will "lose" money. Why worry so much for your classic car? Do what you like and enjoy it!

For all my classic cars, I built them to enjoy them. Yes, they have value, and that is nice, but I don't worry about what they are worth vs. what I spend. I do what I like and what I can afford.

Auto Transport Service
Back