• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My first intake swap

Coronet67guy

Local time
1:04 AM
Reaction score
Hey guys. So I'm swapping out the original intake on my P code 400HP motor in my 74 Charger with the Eddy 2186. A lot of different opinions on the proper way to do this and want it leak free! Here's what I have -

New valley pan, and the four paper gaskets that came with that pan.
Edelbrock 7225 gaskets, bought before I knew the valley pan would have gaskets, and plus these were the recommended gaskets for the intake. Just two of these of course.

Ultra black gasket maker, for the front and rear seals.
Super high tack gasket sealant - seen people use this to hold gaskets in place so grabbed a tube.

Open to suggestions. Will do this tomorrow. Can I use the paper gaskets between block and valley pan and the nicer 7225 on the intake side? I've seen many that don't use any gaskets under the valley pan. Who's done this job and what worked for you?

Thanks!

IMG_5587.jpg

Seems like you covered it pretty well. You will get the same answers you just mentioned. Some use the gaskets some dont and some just use the valley pan and RTV. The use of the gaskets really depends on the intake fitment. If you have the bolt holes all lined up check for gaps on the head side both heads. If there is none then you could use just the valley pan. But of there is a gap then use a set of paper ones as well as the pan gasket. Its really up to your application.

All you need is the valley pan and the super high tac. a little rtv on the ends of the valley pan along the rails and at the corners. No paper gaskets. You didn't see any when you disassembled it did you?

Make sure you RTV the corners where the heads meet the block at all 4 corners.

Is that an edelbrock Performer Intake? Did you pick that intake on a recommendation? I ask because on the RB engines the Performer intakes are known to perform less than the stock intake. Instead, the Performer RPM series is the intake manifold that is always suggested. Is it different on the B engines?

All you need is the valley pan and the super high tac. a little rtv on the ends of the valley pan along the rails and at the corners. No paper gaskets. You didn't see any when you disassembled it did you?

I actually did, of course this may have been done before. The gasket I removed from both sides of the valley pan appeared to be the same material as the two sets of paper gaskets that came with my new pan. Using these would make the 7225 gaskets that I bought with the intake obsolete.

In this set up would I use the super high tack around the ports? I already know I'll be using the Ultra black for the front and rear seals and to make sure I run that up in the corners where these typically will leak.

Is that an edelbrock Performer Intake? Did you pick that intake on a recommendation? I ask because on the RB engines the Performer intakes are known to perform less than the stock intake. Instead, the Performer RPM series is the intake manifold that is always suggested. Is it different on the B engines?

I'm not familiar with the RB engines, but I can tell you the 7193 Performer RPM intake is suggested for larger engines then my 400, like the 440 engine. It may have worked on my 400 but the performer 383 was the suggested intake at Summit.

I ask because on the RB engines the Performer intakes are known to perform less than the stock intake. Instead, the Performer RPM series is the intake manifold that is always suggested.

Really? Data please for the first one.

And of course the second is just wrong.

Installing intake on new 440 rebuild, how yours go, did you end up using the paper gaskets? Did you seal each port with the sealant? Any leaks, complicats etc?

Auto Transport Service
Back