• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My Junk - '65 Satellite

Satellite65

Local time
8:44 AM
Reaction score
Here's what I'm working on. I've owned the car since '85 and since then it's gone through several stages from weekend toy to daily driver. It's been sitting in limbo since '96 when I bought my house. Got married and I guess life took over for a little while. Two years ago I blew the dust off of it and went back to work. Should be running once again real soon.

A bit about it:

'65 Satellite
440 - forged crank - ly rods - 9.6:1 CR
Speed pro six pack pistons
Home ported 906's
Comp XS268 solid cam and lifters
440Source roller rocker setup
Edelbrock Performer manifold
850 Thermoquad built by DemonSizzler
Cheap BlackJack headers - 1-3/4" pri - 3" collectors
727 w/stock replacement converter (for now)
Dana 60 w/3.54:1 gears
10" manual drum brakes all around (gotta go)

Just building it as a strong running cruiser as we have no track here on Long Island to really enjoy these things for what they are. If I had to take a guess I would say it'll be a low 13 second car.

IMG_7694_1_3_1_1_1_1.JPG

IMG_8493_3_1_3_1.JPG

038 (2).jpg

039 (2).jpg

Very nice!!

Beautiful car - and engine!

NIce looking project. I am obviously a fan of how you've disguised your 440 as the stock 383-
113_1335.jpg

NIce looking project. I am obviously a fan of how you've disguised your 440 as the stock 383-
113_1335.jpg

Thanks. I'm just trying to make it as stock looking as possible without being a slave to originality. Yours looks great and is obviously a lot more 'correct' than mine will ever be. I suppose mine might fool anyone who's not very familiar with these old cars although I'm not really trying to pull the wool over anyones eyes, just like the way it looks.

Tell me about yours, is it a '64?

Yep it's a 64 dodge 330. I am doing what you are doing- mostly a stock look that keeps the nostalgia of the original cars. But I didn't go nuts with every little part totally correct. I just kept away from the chrome bits and stainless hardware unless I was going to paint over it.

What's the next project on the 65? Looks like it's going to turn out really nice.

After I get it running I want to put the interior back together. New carpet, headliner and upholstery from Legendary. The next mechanical project is brakes/suspention. 10" drums just ain't cutting it.

Satellite65..That sure is a pretty color you have on that car..Looks sweet! Good luck on the rest of your resto. Can't wait to see her all together!

Hitit.......That's got to be one of the cleanest looking under the hood shots i've seen...Great Job! Beautiful!

Satellite65..That sure is a pretty color you have on that car..Looks sweet! Good luck on the rest of your resto. Can't wait to see her all together!

Thanks. YOU can't wait to see her all together? How do ya think I feel? LOL

Hitit.......That's got to be one of the cleanest looking under the hood shots i've seen...Great Job! Beautiful!

I agree. I hope mine looks that good when it's done

Nice looking project. What color is that?

It's the original color, medium turquoise irridescent but I think the paint shop may have gotten the mix a tad lighter than it was supposed to be. I had some mixed recently to shoot the engine bay and it's about a half shade darker than the exterior. I ain't complaining, when the sun hits this thing it's blinding.

I'm glad you forwarded your thread--you're doing everything right! When you go to disc brakes, go with Wilwood--I did Stainless Steel Brakes 11" slotted rotors with 4-piston calipers--requires a lot of leg pressure to stop quickly. A friend has Wilwood and they seem to perform better. I'll be tweaking the brake system this winter--master cylinder with smaller piston--move plunger mount upward on foot pedal, etc. Would like to avoid going with a power unit, but if necessary--I will; GOTTA STOP THIS THING!!!

I'm glad you checked it out. I'm leaning toward later model stock brakes. I have a pair of rotors, spindles and caliper brackets laying in the basement but that's about it. I'm considering going with a kit from MP brakes and have also seen similar kits on E-bag for much less money. The MP kits have really jumped up in price over the last few months.

I really don;t have a problem with going to power brakes. My cam's not all that big so it shouldn't be an issue. Your brakes should be fine once you get the right master cylinder. A smaller bore will require less pedal effort but more travel so change the master out and try it before re-locating the rod. Actually, you might want to try re-locating the rod before spending the money on the new master, you might not need it.

What do you have out back? I still have the 10" drums all around - basically useless after one good hard stop.

BTW - ilm65, what size tires/rims are you using? My Cragars are all rusted and pitted and need to be replaced. My tires (235-60-R15) have a lot of tread left but they're old and will also need to be replaced. They always seemed a little bit too small. Yours fill the wheel wells a little better.

Good to hear from you again. I have the stock drums in back, but eventually I'd like to have discs on all four. I haven't encountered any fade on their part but haven't had to brake quite that hard. My tires are 225-75-15 on 15x7 cop car wheels in front and 275-60-15 on 15x8 in rear. With the wider rims and 60 series tires in the rear, I have about 1/4" spacing from sidewall to wheel well lip. So far, no problems.
Take care,
Bob

Auto Transport Service
Back