• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My new project 1974 charger 318 se

Ok so up on blocks when I put it gear it will spin the tire... put it on the ground put it in gear and nothing...i didn't fill the torque converter.
So I made sure to check the fluid. It took 3 quarts. I let it idle in gear for like 2 minutes still nothing. When you hit the gas it revs like its not in gear???

3 quarts is no way near enough. Check level running in neutral. A drain and fill usually takes about 7 quarts.

Will the converter fill it self or do i need to take it back out and fill it???

It will fill don't try running it till there is more fluid though so you don't hurt it

It will fill don't try running it till there is more fluid though so you don't hurt it

I agree, add a couple more quarts and have a few ready. Start in neutral, check level and add as needed.

...went out there
I agree, add a couple more quarts and have a few ready. Start in neutral, check level and add as needed.
I went to do that and now my starter isn't engaging the fly wheel....it just never ends

I'll check it out later and let you guys know what I find....if its the teeth on the torque converter at least I'll remember to fill it this time....

did you click the converter in all the way? It drops in 3 different times

So when you put it on the shaft spin and push it in till it drops in then do it again and possibly one more time it's been awhile

Think I can fix that without pulling the motor again..?

You just need to move trans back a bit . You might be able to do it if you disconnect the flex plate . I'd try that first but unbolting the trans and letting it be a little loose might be helpful

You just need to move trans back a bit . You might be able to do it if you disconnect the flex plate . I'd try that first but unbolting the trans and letting it be a little loose might be helpful
I just bolted the torque converter to the flexplate and then just slid the trasmision on......do i have to turn the motor over by hand while sliding the trasmision on?

Unbolt flex plate threw inspection cover you'll need to turn motor over to get to bolts do by hand I use a pry bar on the converter to spin so I don't need to go up and down a million times
So yeah you converter isn't set all the way so that's definitely your problem on the driving and the starter !

If your not sure that the torque convertor is fully seated unbolt it from the flexplate, then if you can easily move it towards the trans 1/8" or so and it spins freely its seated correctly.

If it's not too late and you haven't done so, you will also want to mark your torque converter and flex plate on 1 bolt because it only goes on one way. From my experience you always have to seat the torque converter into the the transmission first (the three clicks) and then stab the transmission. If your done already, I hoped it all worked out for you and there was no damage to your transmission!

If it's not too late and you haven't done so, you will also want to mark your torque converter and flex plate on 1 bolt because it only goes on one way. From my experience you always have to seat the torque converter into the the transmission first (the three clicks) and then stab the transmission. If your done already, I hoped it all worked out for you and there was no damage to your transmission!
Lol I didnt mark the bolt and I started putting it back together...realized the holes weren't lineing up got upset and had to take a break that was 2 days ago ill try again to night. If I get this back together and my transmission turns out to be bad I'm going to be so pissed...im trying to have the car running down the road by my birthday next month on the 7th.... but this has been a pain in my ***
I need to look up some pictures of what my car can look like all done up to build some motivation..

Lol I didnt mark the bolt and I started putting it back together...realized the holes weren't lineing up got upset and had to take a break that was 2 days ago ill try again to night. If I get this back together and my transmission turns out to be bad I'm going to be so pissed...im trying to have the car running down the road by my birthday next month on the 7th.... but this has been a pain in my ***
I need to look up some pictures of what my car can look like all done up to build some motivation..
You should be fine just spin stick one in spin check rest if they all look good great if not pull the one and spin separate one hole try again only 4 holes shouldn't take long!
Look up the "let's see your 71-74" thread lots of pictures there ! Was posted in not long ago !

Auto Transport Service
Back