• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My Shop Light Situation Sucks - Looking for Recommendations

Agree, had the same one for a while then went to led now I love it, no problems at all, dont understand what some are saying..??.
Never had a drop light self animate and turn on me, wtf these are intimate objects.......
Its up to you how you place the bitch!
Man, I hope you aren't getting "intimate" with those things. :)
Now, in regards to these inanimate drop lights, they do have the tendency (seems like, anyways) of
never aiming where you want them to - a result of their hanging typically from a hook methinks.
Usual scenario is being under the car, in some sort of contorted position, wrestling something that
wants to fight - and that damn light choosing that moment to swivel right into your eyes. :)

No need to replace the fixture when the ballast goes, just get the LED "tubes" that are made for line voltage and rewire the fixture ends accordingly. The lamps are available in different lumens and spectrums and can range in price from $5 each to $25 each. I just bought 30 of them for $140 w/ free shipping. And yes, they are made in China, but just about everything is nowadays...LED 4 ft. Foot 18w T8 Tube Light G13 Fluorescent Replacement Lamp 4000K 6000K | eBay
Eh, I like the idea of getting those ridiculously heavy old box fixtures down from over the cars anyways.
Call me over-cautious...
The less than $20 LED fixtures I get from Wally weigh next to nothing by comparison and run very cool
by comparison also.

They work great. You can butt them together with coupler they are in package or available they need to be lined well. I have 8- 8' fluorescent lights as they burnout I replace them with these lights. I use 60mm x 10mm rare earth magnets 2 per light super glued to the lights. Remove the bulbs and stick the lights to metal on fixture. There are short 12"double plugs to connect lights together I find these easier than butt connectors. Now plug in your done.
Yeah, I've outfitted the kitchen with their little brothers and they go up and link together easily with the little
jumper cable thingies.
Older we get, seems like the more of those I put up around here. :)

I can't remember where I got it, but I have an LED "stick" light that's about 3' long that plugs in. Has one of those inline rotary-wheel on/off switches in the cord. Not super bright, but gets the job done. I put an old magnet with velcro on it to hold it to the underside of the hood, or I just slide it on the ground when I crawl under. Not sexy, not expensive (I'm cheap when it comes to things I purposely and repeatedly put in harms way, like drop lights)...but the damned thing refuses to die.

Similar to this but not as nice:
iu
Yep, probably one of those in my future. Those big fancy ones with the hooks that clamp onto the
hood and hang from the underside look spiffy, but they ain't cheap.

I can't remember where I got it, but I have an LED "stick" light that's about 3' long that plugs in. Has one of those inline rotary-wheel on/off switches in the cord. Not super bright, but gets the job done. I put an old magnet with velcro on it to hold it to the underside of the hood, or I just slide it on the ground when I crawl under. Not sexy, not expensive (I'm cheap when it comes to things I purposely and repeatedly put in harms way, like drop lights)...but the damned thing refuses to die.

Similar to this but not as nice:
Yep, probably one of those in my future. Those big fancy ones with the hooks that clamp onto the
hood and hang from the underside look spiffy, but they ain't cheap.

Also consider mounting some 4' LED fixtures vertically on the side walls of you garage. lighting from the side really helps eliminating shadows in walkways and to find small parts that always seem to fall on the floor.
Yes, I have considered that as well a la paint booth lighting. :thumbsup:

Man, I hope you aren't getting "intimate" with those things. :)
Now, in regards to these inanimate drop lights, they do have the tendency (seems like, anyways) of
never aiming where you want them to - a result of their hanging typically from a hook methinks.
Usual scenario is being under the car, in some sort of contorted position, wrestling something that
wants to fight - and that damn light choosing that moment to swivel right into your eyes. :)
That Bayco has a wire stand you pull up from the top to rest the light on the floor and angle it where you want it.

moparedtn: the first photos are of the type of shop light we used in a professional body shop. The one with yellow is nearly identical to the black one - yellow is from O'Riellys $20, the other one is from an auto body shop supply house $65. The dial on the front allows you to adjust the brightness which is a really nice feature. I'm not fond of having to click through multiple settings to shut the thing off.
They're on but you can't tell because of the flash.
View attachment 1166048 View attachment 1166049 View attachment 1166050 View attachment 1166051
Those seem to be "the thing" these days for sure. Am I wrong to think of them in the same "Chinesium"
vein as others of like build?

Weird thing, I can Like anyone but you, lol. Click on Like won't work on your post. Wonder what that's all about? :eek:
The site hasn't been "right" since it came back. I have to log out and back in at least once a session....
oh, but the fearless owner says all is well, whistle past the graveyard y'all. :thumbsup:

The site hasn't been "right" since it came back. I have to log out and back in at least once a session....
oh, but the fearless owner says all is well, whistle past the graveyard y'all. :thumbsup:

I'll post something in a thread, come back later and it's still in my reply area. It's posted but it's still there like I didn't hit Post Reply. :popcorn2:

I hate those things! Do you know if you break one it creates all kinds of toxic gas? Kinda like the trolls that float around with their drive by commentary.

Lol, like the fumes from all the brake cleaner, welding, gasoline, brake lining dust that I've been breathing in all my life. :fool:

Auto Transport Service
Back