• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My Shop Light Situation Sucks - Looking for Recommendations

A good thing with the LED 8’ lights that does away with the ballast, no more fires from an overheated unit.

Are they chinky? Probably like most stuff these days. Sounds racist, Ed...:poke::poke:
You know, you don't have to troll all the time.
Being obnoxious isn't necessarily a sign of being witty - and you'll win no friends by going around
tossing that "racist" moniker at people you don't know.
If anything indicates a racist comment, it would be the use of the word "Chinky".
I was asking about the level of quality in the products discussed, obviously.

Now....do you want to try again or do I just go ahead and put you on the ignore list now?

Lol, like the fumes from all the brake cleaner, welding, gasoline, brake lining dust that I've been breathing in all my life. :fool:
I remember at the time, when the feds were trying to shove those bulbs down our throats at
the same time they were "outlawing" incandescent bulbs, that the squiggly ones actually contained
mercury.
Hard to argue about the environmental harm of old-fashioned bulbs when compared to that...
The irony struck me odd at that time and always has ever since.

I'm finding the same thing. I can "like" someone but only "thanks" someone else both in the same thread.
Untitled.png

I think I'm going to take a different angle on all this shop/work light stuff:
I want to, if at all possible/affordable, buy MADE IN THE USA.
Can anyone share their experience/recommendations for any such?

MADE IN AMERICA, I think you mean make it yourself!! :poke:

You know, you don't have to troll all the time.

Moparedtn I apologize that you thought I was seriously calling you racist. It was a joke. That's why I had the poke fun emoji. I've never heard the term chinesium before and it sounded like a reference to where something is made. If you decide to ignore me so be it. This is a misunderstanding and again I apologize. Referring to me as a troll? If you say so. All I wanted to do is help with the shop light issue.

Last edited:
Sure. None of those have ever graced my house, probably never will.
Sign of the devil, they are. :)
I had some of those in my last house. Never, never, ever again. I had two of them fail after about a year of occasional use. This is when I found out the light could be out, but the bulb base and glass tube would be extremely hot. The bulb base and fixture socket were discolored from the heat; and a couple of my fingers received minor burns. :mob:

General Electric if anyone is curious.
:mob:

I removed ALL of those CFL lights from my new house here in Georgia and replaced them with LED units from Ireland. Lowe's hardware no longer carries the LED lights from Ireland:(.

My garage still has florescent tube fixtures. They will be deep sixed sometime next year, if not sooner. I'm still searching for LED ceiling units and I'll probably add wall-mounted LED units too.

I'll keep watching this thread for suggestions and recommendations. TIA

I got this for Christmas last year....Absolutely love it!

4UZjDtsh.jpg

CZ5bh6gh.jpg

w23vOpyh.jpg

4UZjDtsh.jpg

Super strong Magnetic base and several light outputs, and with the interchangeable heads make this pretty handy unit around the shop. Comes with a 120V to USB adapter and chord for charging, or just use a standard USB port in your lap top or new'er car to charge it.

Moparedtn I apologize that you thought I was seriously calling you racist. It was a joke. That's why I had the poke fun emoji. I've never heard the term chinesium before and it sounded like a reference to where something is made. If you decide to ignore me so be it. This is a misunderstanding and again I apologize. Referring to me as a troll? If you say so. All I wanted to do is help with the shop light issue.
Lots of folks playing fast and loose with that "racist" word these last several years, especially from the
left. The rest of us are officially sick to death of it...such passive-aggressive horseshit.
I'd write a big description of why, especially pertaining to myself, but suffice to say - leave that **** alone.
You'd better really know someone before throwing that into any supposed good-natured jibes....
and no, that whole post of yours was anything but helpful on the topic at hand and was not the intent of it.

Chinesium - generic reference to the origin of goods from a certain part of the world and specifically,
to the usual quality of said goods.

I'm going to go another route with my selecting work lights if I can. I don't summarily resign myself to
"having" to accept the usual cheap junk flooding the market on them.

I remember at the time, when the feds were trying to shove those bulbs down our throats at
the same time they were "outlawing" incandescent bulbs, that the squiggly ones actually contained
mercury.
Hard to argue about the environmental harm of old-fashioned bulbs when compared to that...
The irony struck me odd at that time and always has ever since.

I am a building facility maintenance engineer for a very large mega US bank. We have removed all screw in or plug in CFL’s, and have either replaced or converted all HID and sodium exterior lighting with LED. Most 4’ or similar T-8 style fluorescent tubes have been replaced or retrofitted to LED with built in drivers, ballasts removed. All old ballasts (oil filled or electronic) and fluorescent lamps have to be recycled, not thrown in the trash. Fluorescent lamps do have trace amounts of mercury, and should NEVER be vacuumed up should they break.

I recommend 4-5000k color lamps which are on the bluer spectrum or daylight appearing. Anything lower will have a yellow appearance. Hope this helps.

I am a building facility maintenance engineer for a very large mega US bank. We have removed all screw in or plug in CFL’s, and have either replaced or converted all HID and sodium exterior lighting with LED. Most 4’ or similar T-8 style fluorescent tubes have been replaced or retrofitted to LED with built in drivers, ballasts removed. All old ballasts (oil filled or electronic) and fluorescent lamps have to be recycled, not thrown in the trash. Fluorescent lamps do have trace amounts of mercury, and should NEVER be vacuumed up should they break.

I recommend 4-5000k color lamps which are on the bluer spectrum or daylight appearing. Anything lower will have a yellow appearance. Hope this helps.
Thanks, but I'm in particular looking to replace my work lights, drop lights, whatever you like to call them.

Here's some Made in USA stuff from one manufacturer. Pricey to be sure, but the video reviews
on some of it look promising:
https://www.usab2c.com/category/american_made_lighting
My problem with any of those, and I've owned one of each over the years, not that brand, is moving them when your hands are dirty or greasy. Light shining back at you or rearranging it constantly. These days the bottom of my cars are as clean as the top, but I don't like anything in my way when I'm under my car working. If it made in the USA you're looking for, here's one.
https://brightguy.com/shop/made-in-usa/

Thanks, but I'm in particular looking to replace my work lights, drop lights, whatever you like to call them.

I can also suggest a quality LED flashlight. I use mine all the time, especially when working on my cars. See the photo below. Streamlight is made in the U.S.A. The larger one is rechargeable, the smaller one takes 2-AA batteries. Quality stuff.

B51C5F93-9021-43DC-9CAA-8C9FCA0B996B.jpeg

Auto Transport Service
Back