• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My tires don't squeal

Dibbons

Local time
4:20 PM
Reaction score
Just finishing up my 3000+ mile road trip which has included a lot of semi-mountainous two lane roads in Baja California. This is my '72 Satellite Sebring Plus 318 auto with 2.76 open rear end, no sway bar, and Pep Boys brand 215R70-14 tires on stock rims. Not once have I heard a tire squeal, even when I entered a curve way too fast.

This contrasts with what I remember when (as a teen) driving my parents new 1971 383 auto Road Runner with G60-15 Polyglass Goodyear tires, 15 X 7 rallye wheels, 3.23 open rear end, and the factory front sway bar back in the day. If I remember correctly, that Road Runner seemed like it was always just about to loose its grip in the curves when pushed too hard. I believe there would be some tire squeal too.

My question is this: why do I feel my '72 project car (without the sway bar) handles better than my parents new '71 Road Runner? And why are the radial tires so "quiet" in the curves? Wouldn't the rubber be slipping just the same? Thank you.

DSC00846.JPG

Just finishing up my 3000+ mile road trip which has included a lot of semi-mountainous two lane roads in Baja California. This is my '72 Satellite Sebring Plus 318 auto with 2.76 open rear end, no sway bar, and Pep Boys brand 215R70-14 tires on stock rims. Not once have I heard a tire squeal, even when I entered a curve way too fast.

This contrasts with what I remember when (as a teen) driving my parents new 1971 383 auto Road Runner with G60-15 Polyglass Goodyear tires, 15 X 7 rallye wheels, 3.23 open rear end, and the factory front sway bar back in the day. If I remember correctly, that Road Runner seemed like it was always just about to loose its grip in the curves when pushed too hard. I believe there would be some tire squeal too.

My question is this: why do I feel my '72 project car (without the sway bar) handles better than my parents new '71 Road Runner? And why are the radial tires so "quiet" in the curves? Wouldn't the rubber be slipping just the same? Thank you.

View attachment 332525
Rubber compound...................

Tire technology has come a LONG way since then.

...and you're comparing bias ply to radial.

HUGE difference.

Auto Transport Service
Back