• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Name that Farm Find

As I'm an avid metal detectorist it's definitely iron, I've dug a lot of it LOL! Lead would have a white cast to it. If it was just below ground I wonder if it was used to support a flag pole, clothes line pole, or something like that.
What's a good starter metal detector? Never used one before.
Thanks.

What's a good starter metal detector?
These guys are good as a starter when it comes to hunting old metal.
lead-american-pickers.jpg

my guess was it is a piece of cast iron
could explain it's heavy weight too
now what's it's off of,
I haven't got a damn clue !!

Thanks.

I bought an affordable detector, I'm thinking Radio Shack, when I was around 18 years old. It had a descrimatory selection on it to just pick up precious metals. (Lead, copper, silver, gold)

Well using it around the 200+ acre farm all I found was lead batteries. Turned off the discriminatory switch and would find bolts, horseshoes, tin cans, you name it.

The more I thought about it, if someone lost a coin or a gold ring back when, they would probably have the whole family out there looking for it. Not saying that you couldn't find something valuable but it wasn't the luck I had using one.

Check out Whites Metal Detectors https://www.whiteselectronics.com/. I use the V3i, but they have several great starter units. Their customer service is #1 in the industry. I hunt the woods at old cellar holes from long gone homes from the 1700's & 1800's. My oldest coin is a silver piece of 8 from 1663. I've found all sorts of coins from the 1700's, 1800's, buttons, relics.
Thanks.

Auto Transport Service
Back