• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Narrowly averted potential disaster

66 Sat

Local time
1:30 PM
Reaction score
So I pulled the top of my Edelbrock carb again just to check a few more things (plus I just like fiddling with things). Anyway, I was about to put the lid back on when I noticed a black speck of something sitting on one of the primary throttle blades. I tried to get it with a wet finger but then I thought I'd get my magnet.

Well it was metal, looked like part of a gear or something under my magnifying glass. I was scratching my head wondering what the hell it was and had the rest of it already gone through the engine when I realized it was part of a Torx wrench, an ok brand too (Kinchrome) The damn thing had split off when I was undoing the cover for the metering rod.

Very lucky - it's quite hard metal with sharp edges and could have caused a bit of damage.

I don't know why they don't use allen head bolts - no sharp ridges to break off.

Moral of the story, always double check nothing has fallen into the carb when working on it!
20240527_160925.jpg
20240527_162051.jpg
20240527_162116.jpg
20240527_174101.jpg
20240527_172142.jpg

So I pulled the top of my Edelbrock carb again just to check a few more things (plus I just like fiddling with things). Anyway, I was about to put the lid back on when I noticed a black speck of something sitting on one of the primary throttle blades. I tried to get it with a wet finger but then I thought I'd get my magnet.

Well it was metal, looked like part of a gear or something under my magnifying glass. I was scratching my head wondering what the hell it was and had the rest of it already gone through the engine when I realized it was part of a Torx wrench, an ok brand too (Kinchrome) The damn thing had split off when I was undoing the cover for the metering rod.

Very lucky - it's quite hard metal with sharp edges and could have caused a bit of damage.

I don't know why they don't use allen head bolts - no sharp ridges to break off.

Moral of the story, always double check nothing has fallen into the carb when working on it!View attachment 1669353View attachment 1669354View attachment 1669355View attachment 1669356View attachment 1669357
Great catch

Auto Transport Service
Back