• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

NASCAR Chicago

KiwiKid72

Local time
12:53 AM
Reaction score
It's great that a Kiwi won the Chicago race, but I can't help feeling a bit bewildered and a sense of loss that NASCAR has cheapened themselves by putting their name to street racing.

I am all for V8 racing but feel that street racing should be called something else even if it is run by NASCAR. In New Zealand we have the V8 Supercars. In fact, the Kiwi who won the Chicago race is a V8 Supercar champion so no surprises that he won over other drivers who are not used to street racing or tight corners.

The SC in NASCAR died in the early '70s. Times change. That is understandable. But I would like to see NASCAR stick to the traditional tracks because I like watching the skills and strategies drivers use on those tracks at those speeds.

Your thoughts?

Confederate_Rebel_Flag.svg.png

Absolute stupidity. First they switch to one lug wheel, now they want to street course . If ya wanna be Formula one.... just hand in your cars.

Nascar = IMSA

It all started to change when Dale past. Will have my memories, good enough for me. As Phil Collins says:
Don’t care anymore

I agree - NASCAR at this point in time is a shell of its former self.
I've been a fan since I was a kid, but find it ever more difficult to call myself a fan today.

As a resident of the area, I was both amused and irritated watching the media coverage of the race last weekend.
They kept boasting about how great it was to be bringing NASCAR to Chicago and making it available to a new audience.
Fact is, NASCAR built a whole facility in the area and had cup races there for almost 20 years before apparently permanently mothballing the facility. This race didn't bring NASCAR to a new audience unless you are suggesting that Chicago residents were too lazy to drive 25 or 30 miles south to go to a racetrack!
Chicagoland Speedway - Wikipedia
Also, for a few years they were having a road track race at this time at Road America, a beautiful facility around 2 hours north of Chicago. The street race in Chicago took its place, and I'd be interested in knowing about NASCAR's analysis was that indicated that pulling the race from Road America and replacing it with a street race in Chicago was the right move.

As a resident of the area, I was both amused and irritated watching the media coverage of the race last weekend.
They kept boasting about how great it was to be bringing NASCAR to Chicago and making it available to a new audience.
Fact is, NASCAR built a whole facility in the area and had cup races there for almost 20 years before apparently permanently mothballing the facility. This race didn't bring NASCAR to a new audience unless you are suggesting that Chicago residents were too lazy to drive 25 or 30 miles south to go to a racetrack!
Also, for a few years they were having a road track race at this time at Road America, a beautiful facility around 2 hours north of Chicago. The street race in Chicago took its place, and I'd be interested in knowing about NASCAR's analysis was that indicated that pulling the race from Road America and replacing it with a street race in Chicago was the right move.
It doesn't make any sense!! I missed it....but wanted to watch it as I like road courses and wanted to see how this 'road course' was going to be. Oh well....but it's just senseless not to utilized Road America instead of the streets of Chicago. Not dising the town and I would feel the same way about a race being held on the streets of Houston when COTA isn't that far away either.

Yeah it sucked ! Can’t take listening to the media people just over sell the whole thing. Wait thank God they have great drivers like Bubba :thumbsup:

Yeah it sucked ! Can’t take listening to the media people just over sell the whole thing. Wait thank God they have great drivers like Bubba :thumbsup:
Are ya being sarcastic about Bubba?? I liked him until the 'hangin' rope incident then lost respect for the guy. A Wendell Scott he ain't!

I tried to watch the Daytona 500 this year. After about 20 seconds looking at painted on Mustang taillights I was ready to puke, so turned it off.

I tried to watch the Daytona 500 this year. After about 20 seconds looking at painted on Mustang taillights I was ready to puke, so turned it off.
They have painted on headlights too lol

I was thinking about watching it just to see who was going to get carjacked in pit row.

Yeah, I'm surprised they didn't go to Joliet myself! Watching the news Monday night, they had a segment about how neighborhood people complained about the noise. For cryin out loud, they live in a big city by one of the main drags through town, and they bitch about the noise, Then go move to the end of the runway at O'Hare and then bitch to close the airport because you don't like the noise! Thank God I live in the country!!!!
They have painted on headlights too lol
Believe it or not, those are stickers that look like headlights.

Auto Transport Service
Back