• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need 318 or Shop Suggestions in GA

Ron Brooks

Local time
6:05 AM
Reaction score
We are in northern GA. My friend’s son purchased a ’73 Charger a few months ago. Like most car stories, all went well until it didn’t. Long story short, he was driving a few weeks ago when the engine suffered a failure. It belched oil through the exhaust valves which ended up coming out the header flange, I assume due to a poor gasket there. There is metal on the dipstick. Needless to say the boy is very upset.

His car has a 318 and he’d be happy to stay with that. My question for the members is whether you know of anyone who has a 318 for sale or if you know of a shop in GA that you would trust to examine this engine and if it’s salvageable, perform a proper rebuild. He’s not interested in performance mods, he just wanted a good cruiser, which it was, until it wasn’t. The only seller of rebuilt long blocks I found was ATK through JEGS and other retailers. If anyone has a recommendation, please let me know. I’m not sure which forum is best so I will post to the Engine and ’71-’74 Mopars.

Thank you,

Ron Brooks

For a Charger, you/he would be much happier with all cost considerations, of going to a 360/5.9 engine. I'm a fan of 318's from way back, but.. if I'm gonna spend any money out of necessity, I ain't rebuilding a 318, it's going into a 360 in keeping with a small-block configuration.

Worst case if you just want to keep the LA look you can get LA 318 heads and put them on the Magnum bottom end. Upside to 318 heads on a magnum block would be you could use your original intake. But that's only if you want the old school look. Also wouldn't it be cool to have a serpentine setup from a modern engine? I think the front accessories from the LA will bolt up to the Magnum block too. I'm just not too sure.

Here is a picture of a Magnum engine with a 4bbl intake in a 67 Dart. If you could find some Mopar performance Magnum valve covers it would look even better.

.forabodiesonly.com%2Fmopar%2Fattachments%2F17522630_10206452817199194_2312971029599911575_n-jpg.jpg

?u=https%3A%2F%2Fi.ebayimg.com%2Fimages%2Fg%2FrikAAOSw4qxexV4D%2Fs-l640.jpg

Last edited:
Me, I'd go to a 360/5.9 in a big heavy car like a 73 Charger. A mildly built 360 would give enough without having to do anything else.

While a 360 would be an improvement, I would recommend googling machine shops in your area and then go and visit them, tell them your issues and then pick the one you feel the most comfortable at. I would have them rebuild the long block or perhaps another option is just purchase a replacement long block from one of the many rebuilders out there.

Auto Transport Service
Back