• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need a new oil dip stick for 383 engine

Ritchie Valens

Local time
4:07 PM
Reaction score
Unknown.jpeg

Hey Guys, I have a 1971 RR, with a 383 engine 4 speed. I need to buy a new oil dip stick for it. Just wanted to know if I also need to know the year of the engine? Or just the 383 size? Also, would you know where the year would be stamped? I was told years ago that it was a 1965... but I have not confirmed that. I believe the year is stamped somewhere on top of the engine block?

On the 383 in my ‘69 the year info is stamped in large raised letters on the side of the engine block. Drivers side I believe. Says “9 21 68”. Also there is a VIN stamp on the passenger side of the block just above the oil pan IIRC. Has the last 8 digits of the VIN. Mine says 9A152***. The 9 being the year(1969) and the A being the plant it came out of.

Found this in an old thread here in reference to locating info from topside of engine. I’ve never looked for this on mine.
1669174264726.jpeg

The folks around here may have other ways to decipher engine year as well. We’ll see what they say.

On the 383 in my ‘69 the year info is stamped in large raised letters on the side of the engine block. Drivers side I believe. Says “9 21 68”. Also there is a VIN stamp on the passenger side of the block just above the oil pan IIRC. Has the last 8 digits of the VIN. Mine says 9A152***. The 9 being the year(1969) and the A being the plant it came out of.

Found this in an old thread here in reference to locating info from topside of engine. I’ve never looked for this on mine.
View attachment 1377257

The folks around here may have other ways to decipher engine year as well. We’ll see what they say.
Awesome thanks! I was able to find numbers stamped on the passenger side of the engine under the distributor. Has the size, 383 and the date right below it. Thank you again!!!

Auto Transport Service
Back