• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need Advice!

BBody360

Local time
12:02 PM
Reaction score
Alright, I just bought a running 360 and i'm going to go through it. Looks like the previous owner just threw it together? Says it was rebuilt a month ago, and he doesn't run it hard. Take a look at the pictures I added and tell me what you think?

I heard it run, sounded good, very lopy. ]Maybe just a valve job on the heads and a new intake. He had it in an A body and it ran low 12s. Bought it for $400.

I have gaskets from an old rebuild kit. I was looking at P4120094 Head gaskets, looking to squeeze out as much compression as I can. Also, kit came with a aluminum + Paper intake gaskets. Thoughts on the two?

Sorry for the big pictures. New to the site.

Driver side - good side
20150921_131308.jpg20150921_131245.jpg

Passenger side - leaky side

20150921_131238.jpg20150921_131224.jpg

What's the problem here?

Attachments

• 20150921_131257.jpg
    20150921_131257.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 215
Looks like you are blowing some oil out of the dipstick.
Do you have a pcv on it? Intake manifold could be not sealing. Causing pressure in the crank case. Are you blowing oil out of the breather? If so, might be time to open up the engine. If it's not in the car yet, now is the time to go through it.

Well, for 400 bucks you couldnt go wrong. Funny, built a month ago and he didnt run it hard, but it pushed an a body into the 12's. If running it in the 1/4 isnt running it hard, what is? Lol

Looks like it's been leaking on the driverside breather. There aren't PVC's just two vented breathers on each side. How should I find out if it was leaking from the dipstick?

I have the engine 90% apart. I don't want to pull the crank/pistons. they look good. Bearings look good, cam looks good. What should I be looking for? Don't want to swap the bottom end just because I'll be pulling the engine again when the car goes to the body shop. Just need a car to drive!

- - - Updated - - -

Well, for 400 bucks you couldnt go wrong. Funny, built a month ago and he didnt run it hard, but it pushed an a body into the 12's. If running it in the 1/4 isnt running it hard, what is? Lol

Haha, I think he had two runs on it? And drove it to the track and home. Not what I would consider "Hard" per se.

Give me a second and I'll post a picture

"Rebuilt." Boy doesn't THAT word "cover a lot of ground"

the engine could have a lot of blowby from a couple of sources, and then you run it hard, LOL

Too much cylinder wear, out of round, taper, etc, some crank and or bearing wear, and maybe he put in a "big" oil pump so now you have "excess" oil windage on top of blowby, and baby it just starts pumpin' things out. The harder you run it the worse it gets.

There is simply far too many variables to guess.

I guess a start would be an accurate leak down test.

Let me find a list of what he did.

- - - Updated - - -

Let me find a list of what he did.

High volume oil pump
Airgap RPM intake
Timing Chain
better fuel pump
New water Pump
New Oil pan

and the valve on the head looks bigger than 1.88. Might be a 2.02?

You think it's ok just to refresh the gaskets and get it running again? Didn't smoke when I drove it.

One thing I thought was odd was it had 60 PSI cold, and when it heated up and idled it was less than 10 (until you give it some gas).

Might sound stupid (and I could probably youtube it) but how do I do a leak test? I don't even think I have a 100+ PSI compressor..

Didn't have a windage tray...

That either "is not" a new pump, or else you have pretty well worn main / rod bearings. The latter with some blowby would certainly account for the oil leaking. I have gotten to nearly "disallow" all claims of "it's overhauled." What this means in many cases is, "we replaced some gaskets and threw blue paint at it."

"When I was a kid" we used to call this a "Mary Carter" overhaul

mary+carter+paints+matchbooks.jpg

Haha, I had to pull the crank/pistons out enough to swap out the front and back seals. The bearings looked smooth and not grooves.

Guys said he had a problem priming the pump? Could driving it without priming cause the pump to fail?

I think there may be some blow by, but not enough to depower the engine. I'll probably throw it all back together, put it in the car and get a couple more thousand miles before I comepetely tear it down.

As for headgaskets! What should I look for (trying to get the compression up, not sure what the previous gaskets were)?

- - - Updated - - -

The Mellings High volume oil pump I had from a older build looks exactly the same. Same part number. So I know it's a healthy pump not some cheapie?

Also found a leak by the "arm" that holds the oil filter. New filter should fix that?

Auto Transport Service
Back