• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need help. Hughes, mancini MRE (harland sharp), or 440 source Rocker arms/shafts?

I just installed 440 Source 1.6 rockers on my new 505" stroker.
Rockers....240
Hold Downs...70
Shims #1...30
Shims #2..40 (2 sets at 20 each)
Spacers....20
Total...380
Great buy for quality parts.
I trust them because I talked to several guys who have been running them for some time
They have needles bearings on the shafts also, not just the tips.

I remember being warned not to use 440 source valve train parts by most posts, but I think the majority of those were 4 to 10 years old. Guys saying the needle bearings came out during racing. But, Ive never bought anything from them I havent liked, and they must be refining and improving all the time or else I'd think they wouldnt be in business. I may go 440 source on my next build. If they work that well then its a hard price to beat.

Last edited:
I have the comp pro mags on my small block, and it gets revved regularly. I would buy them again after 2 years of abuse.

I have been looking into this question a bit as well. I have no experience with any of these products. Looking into the 440 source rockers there are several reports that they are "noisy".

http://moparforums.com/forums/f57/440-source-roller-rockers-2322/

post #7

"Only thing I can report to this date is that they are noisy...I have run their 1.6 ratio rockers for over a year now...I hammer on it every weekend and have had no failure...if I had to do it over again I would have gone with some Harland Sharps.."

Hughes rockers, in there description they mention their system is much quieter than others.

http://www.hughesengines.com/Index/...a2VyIEFybXMgJiBBY2Nlc3Nvcmllcw==&partid=26774

"Our rocker kits come with our popular, modified oiling shafts, spacers and shims. Properly assembled and shimmed, each pair of rocker will have less than 0.015" total side clearance. This provides exceptional oil control and a valve train that is much quieter than all other systems."

I wonder if indeed the hughes are "quieter" than others? Perhaps some guys here will have experience with several setups and have input on this. I am sure valve train "noise" is irrelevent to a lot of guys, but has been something I have thought about as I am intending on doing something for a street, DD setup.

i have bought two sets of the Comp Cams Pro magums over the years, the first set was the ones without the bushings inside, and there was some issues with them, i had good luck with them, so i bought another set last year. This set was bushed, and i think there even better than before.

maybe im naive, but because i dont know where 440 source and Hughes get their parts sourced from, i have little to no trust in there rockers. im sure for the most part they are OK, but at that price, im fairly convinced that they not made in the US.

Auto Transport Service
Back