• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need help on body work. So much bog..

The Aussies and Brits have some funny slang words.....BOG=Body filler ??

*** 2.JPG

"Dodgy"...That is another funny one.
In 2012, a guy from Australia came to America, Southern CA specifically to see the country and attend the biggest Mopar car show on the West Coast. I was there with my Brother in Law. "Glen" was the highlight of that weekend. He was a car guy just like us but several things about him were just a little bit different. It was entertaining to hear him tell stories and interact with us all. For years I have wondered what it might be like to visit Oz or NZ....That would be a lot of fun.

"Dodgy"...That is another funny one.
In 2012, a guy from Australia came to America, Southern CA specifically to see the country and attend the biggest Mopar car show on the West Coast. I was there with my Brother in Law. "Glen" was the highlight of that weekend. He was a car guy just like us but several things about him were just a little bit different. It was entertaining to hear him tell stories and interact with us all. For years I have wondered what it might be like to visit Oz or NZ....That would be a lot of fun.
If you ever get here Greg, I would be happy to edumacate you. :lol: ...and show you around. :thumbsup:

Going over someone else's body work is always going to be adventure, never know what to expect. I have seen damage that with slower speed da sander 40 grit paper for prep work could have minimized the repair area. But inevitably some used hand grinder and changed the bodylines, and made the repair area very thin. Before stud gun we would drill small holes and carefully use pull rods and light hammer work to remove creases and dents, we modified a propane torches head so we could then solder the holes. Metal working is just what it says... Metal working not just grinding the metal away. Hard to really tell with that fender but it looks like from here going to need skim coat of body filler to dial that back in. I once repaired a nos 1968 charger left front fender that was damaged in a train wreck when it was new during shipment. Alot of hammer dolly work with fair amout of plastic filler,turned out really nice friend sold it, and told the guy alot of work was done to get that fender correct, dont strip it all off just wet sand it and paint it. Always wondered if he took heed, if not it would've taken another bodyman alot of time to redo it.

So i done some block sanding and it has shown that from above the bodyline to where I have drawn in the red line it has a large low spot. I have managed to get most of the crease and other damage out but was stuck on this. To get this out would I hold a dolly behind the panel and tap the outside edge to bring it back up? I'

20180811_142517.jpg

So i done some block sanding and it has shown that from above the bodyline to where I have drawn in the red line it has a large low spot. I have managed to get most of the crease and other damage out but was stuck on this. To get this out would I hold a dolly behind the panel and tap the outside edge to bring it back up? I'

View attachment 636902
I'm not a body guy and still learning myself. I truly believe you will find switching back and forth working the hammer and dolly from both sides is best. You will get one area "fixed" and will then have to push another spot back in.

I'm not a body guy and still learning myself. I truly believe you will find switching back and forth working the hammer and dolly from both sides is best. You will get one area "fixed" and will then have to push another spot back in.
I've ordered a DVD from Peter Tomansini and one of his flippers. Posted this pic on a metal shaping forum and he got back to me. Hopefully they both turn up soon and I will have another attempt at it.

Kevin Tetz has a lot of good videos out on you tube, covers a lot of body work tips all the way to polishing the final product. He does it for Eastwood and somewhat pushes their products but again he covers just about every step.
I think Trucks was his show originally..

Ok, one thing you have to consider, if the area has become work-hardened. That means it's been worked before, and there comes a point where the metal has been set beyond its ability to be 're shaped.

Auto Transport Service
Back