• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need help troubleshooting engine........

Mileage is unknown, orginally a 318, someone put the 400 in it. Doesnt smoke,runs strong.

Define like crazy? Between what and what? 2", 6"? And is it flickering or more of a sweeping motion?

flickering between 8 and 10

- - - Updated - - -

I will see if I can post a video this weekend.

That may be normal for a high lift, long duration cam with overlap. Assuming you mean it was flickering a total of 2" between 8-10. And not 8-10" total flicker. Cause that would probably indicate weak valve springs. But you might have a vacuum leak at the carb or intake or late valve timing to be as low as it is.

I checked for vac leaks, couldnt find any. Im going to try some seafoam today and hook up my vac gauge and see if the stuff really works on cleaning carbon.

Last edited:
Never been a big fan of Holley carbs always had dumb little problems like you are having, but a friend of mine kinda changed my mind..... You said it was freshly rebuilt? If you did not use the Holley kit then it just won't run properly. I always bought the cheaper brand kits for the Holleys.....not anymore!! Spend the extra few bucks buy the Holley kit and be done with it. You will thank me later....lol.

Great news, I hooked up my vac gauge, sucked in 1/2 a can of seafoam thru the pcv valve and watched the needle on the gauge go from extreme needle vibration to almost steady. Still only pulling 10 inches of vac but the valves were definatly gummed up and the seafoam helped tremendously.

Took it for a drive no hesisatation at all and i think with a couple more treatments of seafoam i will have cleaner valves. Thanks everyone for chipping in and helping a guy out! Rich

Make sure you change your oil after using that sea foam. :)

Why is that? :dontknow:

It says right on the can to pour some in the engine (oil), some in the fuel tank, and the rest in thru the intake. Doesn't say anything about changing oil immediately after application.
:reading:

I didnt put it in the oil, I am gonna put some Mavel Mystery Oil in there tho before a oil change here pretty soon. I sucked it thru the PCV, seafoam smoke was comming thru the PCV port in the valve cover tho.

- - - Updated - - -

http://www.facebook.com/v/205585836232729

Here is a vid I took of my RR after the seafoam treatment. All is well and running great.

Auto Transport Service
Back