• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need help troubleshooting...

westie47

Local time
6:24 PM
Reaction score
1BCBAAC0-4AF5-4D0D-937C-5CDA10E1B11D.jpeg
I need some advice on a wiring issue. When I got my Coronet last week, the guy had gotten it running by using the yellow wire (in photo). We had it running and drove it onto the trailer but by the time I got it home, the wire had slipped free. Now I’m not sure how where he had it. I tried bypassing the starter relay and can get it to crank by using a screwdriver and sparking it. I need a more permanent fix without buying a whole new dash harness.
Electrical is not my strong suit.

The yellow wire is the start wire from the ignition switch to the starter relay.
Not sure what year you have?
Go to Mymopar and look it up, but my guess is cavity T.
So pretty close to where it is there above the red wire. You likely need a new male blade, buy you might be able to repair it.
From the looks of it you should pull the bulkhead apart. Using a very small flat screwdriver you can remove the blades and clean them up.
Then clean the female part as well, squeeze just a tad with jewelers needle nose pliers.
Clean with contact cleaner and put it back together.
Good luck with it.

The yellow wire is the start wire from the ignition switch to the starter relay.
Not sure what year you have?
Go to Mymopar and look it up, but my guess is cavity T.
So pretty close to where it is there above the red wire. You likely need a new male blade, buy you might be able to repair it.
From the looks of it you should pull the bulkhead apart. Using a very small flat screwdriver you can remove the blades and clean them up.
Then clean the female part as well, squeeze just a tad with jewelers needle nose pliers.
Clean with contact cleaner and put it back together.
Good luck with it.
Thanks for the help, it’s a 69 Coronet with 318.

Somehow I had guessed that, then I got smart and looked into your other posts.
Cool car I like the 500 a little more fancy on the trim.
Glad to help.

Any old harnesses like that I always bend the wire in a tight loop in several suspect spots,if the shielding cracks,throw it away and get a new harness.

I agree with Don above. Its coming from the ignition switch. I believe the wire on the other side of the bulkhead is the same color. You need to repair it though at the spade. Jamming it back in is only going to cause more problems.
Good luck.

Auto Transport Service
Back